Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 6:43:20 AM EDT
I desided to turn one of my 223 AR's into another 9mm Ar since thats all I ever shoot anymore. It has a stag lower and stag parts kit so I am adding a RRA mag well adapter and RRA 9mm buffer to the carbine stock tube both instock here in town at my local RRA dealer. I was wondering if I should also switch out the hammer for one of the RRA hammers also?They are not in stock but can be ordered if I really need one.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:41:29 PM EDT
I would they are not to much money and if you dont have the right hammer that works with both and you pull back on the charge handle and load you will ahve a ball getting the gun apart. I know I did it making mine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:55:33 PM EDT
I have a 9mm hammer in mine. I think you can also use an M16 hammer, that way it will work with both calibers. If you grind off the auto sear catch on the back of the hammer it should be legal.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:38:23 AM EDT
An M16 hammer with no other M16 parts would be legal without grinding off the tab. DPMS hammers are like the M16 w/o the notch. Look at SBR7_11's second post on this thread for a picture.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:19:14 PM EDT
Mike,
A Colt m16 full-auto hammer would be legal to use in a semi?
I just bought a RRA 9mm hammer to replace it... will either hammer work if all other parts are from a Colt 9mm SMG kit?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:44:38 PM EDT
I went ahead and ordered a new RRA hammer online for $15 and it will be here in about 3-4 days.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:35:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2006 3:36:32 PM EDT by SBR7_11]

Originally Posted By rag:
Mike,
Not according to ATF...

I just bought a RRA 9mm hammer to replace it... will either hammer work if all other parts are from a Colt 9mm SMG kit?
The COLT® 9mm SMG (633/635) is just a 9mm upper mated to a std M16 lower... If you is M16, you need to be M16, a 9mm semi-auto hammer is not full auto capable.

Your parts kit is std M16 trigger parts, CAR stock with CAR spring, a heavier buffer than the std CAR buffer, and likely a 10" 9mm barreled A1 upper assembly.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:39:59 PM EDT
Yes, it's a 10.5" barrel on a registered SBR/semi-auto, so the RRA 9mm hammer should work with the Colt bolt that can with it?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:45:40 PM EDT

Yes, it's a 10.5" barrel on a registered SBR/semi-auto, so the RRA 9mm hammer should work with the Colt bolt that can with it?
Yes.... cancel your order, save yourself the $15 + shipping, and just whiz the offending lug off the tail of the M16 hammer, the get your bolt ramped also.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:54:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SBR7_11:

Mike,
Not according to ATF...

That gets discussed here every so often. Most places recommend that you not have any M16 parts in your AR-15, but it's only really illegal if it'll actually shoot more than one shot per pull and installing only an M16 hammer would not make it do that. Doesn't hurt anything to zip the lug off just to be safe. Or buy the DPMS that's that shape already. The important thing is that it not have the notch at the top front corner. If you have the bolt ramped you can even get away with a regular .223 hammer with that notch.
Top Top