Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2006 7:55:58 PM EDT
Pro's and con's from those that have owned/shot both are what I am loking for.  The biggest thing for me is the parts for the MP5 clone are expensive, and hard to come by.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
right now you can get the last of the the SW5s for IIRC $895, that is about what you would have in a 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Build yourself a 9mm AR. Thats what Im gonna do in the coming months question is if I shouild register it as a SBR or leave it 16" .
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:06:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I have and love both
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:30:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Speshal Weepins (or whatever it is called now)......they don't even make good boat anchors as they are not heavy enough.....buyer beware.  Regardless HK parts are not so difficult to get or that expensive as to rule out owning one.....I would not let that be a factor.

HK MP5's are a fine weapon, along with thier other STAMPED weapons (thier new plastic line is crap)....but the AR-15 series is better......infinite accessries, user familiarity, better ergonomics, manual of arms is identical of its big bro, parts availability, mechinical simplicity, American made (fuck yeah!!), and least importantly cost less.

That is my opinion from my experience with these weapons.  I would go for the AR system.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I like them both.  But I went with the AR 9mm because of options, parts, quality etc..and the money.  Theres just so many variations, more than HK clones IMO.  I have an OLY Glock 9mm and I'm collecting parts now for another build.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I have owned a converted MP5 (from an HK 94).  It ran great, but HK factory parts are a hassle to get. I have had 50/50 experiences with all other parts (POF, Greek, etc.).  The inability to get parts and work done on my HK forced me to sell it.

I traded it for a Factory Colt 614 and converted it to 9mm. Garrisson parts, Title 2 parts, and Colt 32 round magazines and she is as reliable/fun to shoot as my MP5.

Parts are everywhere, modular caliber, accessories, etc.

Colt 9mm is the way to go I say.

Just my opinion - since I went with what you are dealing with.

At least you were smart and are thinking it out now, BEFORE the buy.

I was not that wise.

Thanks
V
OUT

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have always wanted a SP89 myself but the $3500+ price they have been selling out is to high for me. I have been stareing at the bobcat SP89 clone for about a month now pictureing it with a side folding stock in a SBR setup to look like a MP5 PDW.  I looked at parts it will use HK parts which are easy to find just look on the net you can buying everything you need at a fair price if you needed parts. I already have the Ar 15 9mm  pistol just waiting for the paper work to add stock and suppressor to make it a bad*** SBR. I think the Ar15 is alot cheaper way to go,more parts and styles to choose from,better for mounting optics, but the MP5 weapons just have a draw to them. I am going to buy the clone or a RRA 9mm pistol and SBR it and have two 9mm SBR 15's.I can't make up my mind right now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quick Google search came up with this........SW info

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I have no intention of getting an SW gun from the buy...lol...  I would either get a bobcat, or build a clone with my mp5 parts kit.   I think I will b better off building a 9mm upper for my AR though...  HK parts are NOT that easy to get and they are expensive.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Wait a minute, I thought Bobcat was just another Choad Bailey. store front? ie Speshul Tampons pt 4, or whichever "one step ahead of the law" incarnation he's up to now.
I really want a full length MP-5 type S-A pistol, but that ain't gonna ever happen.
9mm Colt style, with VM-Hy Tech side charger upper, 9.25" bbl, and a Garrison MFG mag block is what I'm eventually gonna do.  Is anyone even still making a US made MP5 receiver anymore?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I couldn't decide so I got both!

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#12]
not to hijack the thread but were could i get info on these mp5 clones?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top