Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2006 12:08:29 PM EDT
Sorry for all the questions but my 9mm is in process.  I've looked at RRA blocks and also know that some folks swear by the Hahn top loader.  Saw a thread where someone said the promags didn't work well with the Hahn.  Anyone experience this?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
from what i know

hahn mag blocks are meant for colt style mags.

pro-mags are cheap options of the colt style mags.

if anything it would be the pro-mags hit & miss functioning.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Hahn dedicated block.

I have some promag mags.

They don't work well together.  I had to modify my promags to get them to work at all.

Spend the money and get the quality mags.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  That's what I was wondering.

Already got the mags.  I'll spend the money on a block I know they work with.  The RRAs reportedly do very well with them.

I don't buy Colt stuff as a rule.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:46:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Hahn Precision states that adapters were designed around Colt mags since they were the only ones that existed 6 years ago.  If aftermarket mags can't match the original Colt features then reliability may be less than optimal.  Probably not the smartest thing to come out and state from the company's point of view but it is the straight up truth.  A salesman would just say, "Buy this product it cuz works with everything GAR-UN-TEED!!  YEEHAW!!"

Promags are the variable............some work well with adapters........some do not work at all.....Hahn, RRA, Colt, or otherwise.  Returned fucked up Promags were reworked and resold......and I am sure Bushy is getting the primo batches......and a primo price for the tag they now wear.  They are still weak plastic......still fragile.....even if they do feed.

If you are hesitant to buy Colt because of thier business practices.....you might want to take up knitting.....the firearms industry is half filled with sleaze.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:01:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought the pro mags specifically because they had BHO.  I've read they even do it with RRA blocks.  And for $11, they're almost disposable.  Guess we'll see if they work or not when I get this thing built.

If you are hesitant to buy Colt because of thier business practices.....you might want to take up knitting.....the firearms industry is half filled with sleaze

Sleaze, I can deal with.  Poo-pooing the civie market, not so much.  I don't buy H&K either, which is a pity because I hear their high reliability AR mags are slick.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#6]
My 2 ProMags work fine in an RRA block.  

I had to make sure the block was in properly before any magazine worked (ProMag or Colt).  When I first inserted the block and tried the magazines 'dry', one ProMag worked, one didn't, and the Colt didn't.  By "didn't" I mean didn't lock in place well or hold the bolt back.

I tinkered the block into place and took the carbine to the range.  All three worked.  By "worked" I mean no FTFeed, locked into place, held the bolt open on the last round, and dropped free.

At the cost of the ProMags (<$11 from Natchez), I'm buying more.  I'm buying more Colt magazines too, but I think I'll wind up with a 5:1 ration (or greater) of ProMags to Colts.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My 2 ProMags work fine in an RRA block.  

I had to make sure the block was in properly before any magazine worked (ProMag or Colt).  When I first inserted the block and tried the magazines 'dry', one ProMag worked, one didn't, and the Colt didn't.  By "didn't" I mean didn't lock in place well or hold the bolt back.

I tinkered the block into place and took the carbine to the range.  All three worked.  By "worked" I mean no FTFeed, locked into place, held the bolt open on the last round, and dropped free.

At the cost of the ProMags (<$11 from Natchez), I'm buying more.  I'm buying more Colt magazines too, but I think I'll wind up with a 5:1 ration (or greater) of ProMags to Colts.

Natchez definately is cheaper than some places, but I'll wait to try my ProMags before buying anymore.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top