Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/5/2006 12:05:17 PM EDT
Hello!The tax refund check is in the bank, bills are paid, and I have a little left overhts. I am leaning toward the Bushmaster upper (around $400-my max budget) Are there other brands out there that I am not aware of that come with iron sights?
 Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Your going to be bombarded by all kinds of information....there are many brands out there to choose from......   If you only want to spend 400 bucks how about Two calibers for that price....look into the Oly 22/17 partner system.....  22LR and 17 HM2 check out this thread.....
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=260344

I have this system and it runs great in both calibers.....

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the barrel in the OLY partner upper drilled out for the sleeves to fit into?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.....the inserts fit without any play at all...a good fit...

I bought my system from Cheaper than Dirt
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#4]
How is the .17 Mach2?  I have seen the .17 HMR
They are basically a .22 long rifle and a .22 mag necked down to .17 caliber right?
Thanks for the info! I am really liking the looks of the OLY setup.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone tried the Bushmaster upper?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen bolt-on front sights for as little as $35.

Cheapest rear sight you can get would be that Chinese copy carry handle. They're advertised at $40-50 but I bought one new at a gun show for just $25. They're cheap but good for a .22.

I paid $400 for my DPMS but you don't always or often find them advertised for that now. Cheaper Than Dirt is your best place to look.

Good luck finding something suitable in your budget. A .22 AR is a real joy to own and shoot and you'll have a lot of fun with it! I don't regret a penny I've spent on mine. Counting a dedicated lower, carry handle, a scope, a red dot, and a couple extra mags I'm into mine for between six and seven pigs and it's worth every dime. MUCH more fun than any race-tuned 10/22 and almost as accurate, too!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Snake maybe I wasnt clear. I have the lower, just want an upper for around 400$.
Hows that DPMS. I have seen some advertised but for a litttle more than 400$ .
I know what you mean about the 10/22 the ergonomics never suited me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Gimpy - my Bushmaster .22 Upper has been on order since mid-October 2005.

They are "redesigning" some aspects of it to address some of the concerns that people had regarding the flimsiness of their previous magazine choice.

They are waiting on new "molds" to come in before they can start up production again.

So, if you are willing to wait for 2-3 months you might want to put your order in now.

If you then find something else, you'll be able to cancel your Bushmaster order.

I'd hate doing that, but they are the ones who aren't disclosing that there are no units available for sale at this time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info Camdeck.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#10]
The DPMS 22LR Upper I have has been performing extremely good. It shoots all ammo with virtually no malfunctions. It ran $400.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Does anybody besides Olympic sell the 22-17 partner upper?  I looked on Cheaper Than Dirt and found nothing, and a google search only turned up Olympic Arms themselves.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#12]
That DPMS unit looks great. Does DPMS have a 16" upper, or only a 20"?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Does anybody besides Olympic sell the 22-17 partner upper?  I looked on Cheaper Than Dirt and found nothing, and a google search only turned up Olympic Arms themselves.  

here
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

here

Awesome, thank you.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yup, they make an M-4 style .22 upper.

Thanks,

Brad
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#16]
And it looks like this (if you build it up right) :

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#17]

I'd like to get something like the DPMS but it looks like they're having some problems with their magazines?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=30&t=148951
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I went with the OLY 22/17 partner upper.  I will get out to the range with it in a week or two and give a report.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#19]
DPMS isn't having problems with their magazines, they are having problems with their high-cap magazines.  the 10 rrounders can be had very easily.  seeing as none of the other companies that make dedicated uppers have made any announcements about even wanting to make a high- cap for their 22s makes it seem like a +1 for DMPS.  ceiner makes 30rd high caps, but dedicated uppers that take them are custom jobs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:03:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I just saw this Disclaimer on the DPMS site concerning 22LR ammo....interesting...

"Notice Concerning .22LR Malfunctions: Please be advised that DPMS cannot control nor specify which ammunition you choose to use in your .22LR rifle, barrel assembly or conversion kit. Current .22LR ammunitions on the market have exhibited the following problems: extensive length, not enough/too much powder, a waxy coating on the bullet and other problems. These factors may cause a malfunction with your DPMS .22LR rifle, barrel assembly or conversion kit."
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I just saw this Disclaimer on the DPMS site concerning 22LR ammo....
Current .22LR ammunitions on the market have exhibited the following problems: extensive length, not enough/too much powder, a waxy coating on the bullet and other problems. These factors may cause a malfunction with your DPMS .22LR rifle, barrel assembly or conversion kit."

The wax lube is normal for any .22LR that isn't copper-plated.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just saw this Disclaimer on the DPMS site concerning 22LR ammo....
Current .22LR ammunitions on the market have exhibited the following problems: extensive length, not enough/too much powder, a waxy coating on the bullet and other problems. These factors may cause a malfunction with your DPMS .22LR rifle, barrel assembly or conversion kit."

The wax lube is normal for any .22LR that isn't copper-plated.  

I'm just quoting the statement on their web site
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top