Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/24/2006 5:43:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2006 5:45:23 PM EDT by Tight-Line]
What mag block works best with a RRA 9mm upper? I am up in the air as far as weather to get a complete rifle or do a conversion myself so that I can choose the mag block if there is a better one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:52:59 PM EDT
Hands down, the Hahn blocks are the BEST! I use a standard top load with my RRA 9mm upper and RRA lower.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:53:09 PM EDT
I think Pete @ Legal Transfers is selling complete RRA 9mm rifles for $840 shipped. By the time you buy a lower, 9mm hammer and buffer, mag block, a mag, and an upper you'd most likely spend more than that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:00:13 PM EDT
Yes he is. I live nearby and have made the trip to buy from him before. Great guy to deal with! Is the mag block that comes with the RRA a "Hahn"?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:11:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tight-Line:
Yes he is. I live nearby and have made the trip to buy from him before. Great guy to deal with! Is the mag block that comes with the RRA a "Hahn"?

I believe RRA makes their own - I bought one from ADCO.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:09:51 PM EDT
I did my own 9mm mid-length with all RRA parts on and in a MEGA lower. The RRA mag block is a snug fit and it has run 100%. I have one RRA modified UZI mag and four of the Promags. All run fine.
Your results may vary. It is GREAT fun to shoot!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:32:05 AM EDT
I have an ASA upper on a RRA lower, I am using the ASA mag block that looks just like the RRA block! The mag block fits really snug in the mag well, and works pretty good so far... my only problems are with feeding! Some of the REAL Uzi mags work great, but as I progress to more generic mags I keep having feeding problems! I believe my problems are related to the mag height in the feed area; I just sent out for a VM HYTEC mag block and will compare the two soon as I get some range time!

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:20:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rcoers:
I think Pete @ Legal Transfers is selling complete RRA 9mm rifles for $840 shipped. By the time you buy a lower, 9mm hammer and buffer, mag block, a mag, and an upper you'd most likely spend more than that.

Here's the costs for my build for comparisons sake.

RRA Upper $400
RRA Lower $100
Hahn Block $140
DPMS LPK $50
6-pos RRA Stock $60
9mm hammer, bolt catch & buffer $60

Total: $810 without mags. If you add in a $35 RRA modified Uzi mag, you are basically at the same price as the complete rifle from RRA. If I went with the RRA block for $125, it would have been cheaper. If RRA were selling complete rifles for closer to $700-750, then it would be a no brainer to buy one already built. When the prices are extremely close or the same, I will also choose to build so I can select the components I want. To each his own.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:47:56 PM EDT
Who is selling Hahn blocks?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:48:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tight-Line:
Who is selling Hahn blocks?

I got mine from Brownells. LINK

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:42:11 AM EDT
What is involved in using a top loading Hahn in a multicaliber rifle? I have a Form 1 in process for a 5.56mm SBR, and would like to run 9mm also. Is it simple as drop in the block and pin on a 9mm upper?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:52:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rxdawg:
What is involved in using a top loading Hahn in a multicaliber rifle? I have a Form 1 in process for a 5.56mm SBR, and would like to run 9mm also. Is it simple as drop in the block and pin on a 9mm upper?

I can only comment on the dedicated top loading Hahn block that I have. For this one you must remove the bolt catch, insert the block, and then put the bolt catch assembly back in.

The dedicated is definately not for changing out calibers quickly. I can't say for sure if the other top loading Hahn is the same......but if you look at the top of the magwell it's hard to imagine a block that can be inserted that way without removing the bolt catch.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 3:20:10 PM EDT by kevins_garage]

The standard top load block can drop in and be removed in mere seconds with the 5.56 bolt catch left in place. All you have to do is press the bolt catch while installing the block. You will not have last round bolt hold open though in that configuration, unless you switch to a 9mm bolt catch (which will up your changeover time to about 5-10 minutes) or you use the dedicated top load block (which requires removal and re-installation of the standard 5.5 bolt catch).

There's always the bottom load block if you want the fastest changeover and last round bolt hold open. I didn't want to go this route though because of the chance of the block getting loose and/or falling out (however rare of an occurrence it may be, I didn't want to risk it).
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:31:03 PM EDT
Tag

Sean
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:44:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kevins_garage:

The standard top load block can drop in and be removed in mere seconds with the 5.56 bolt catch left in place. All you have to do is press the bolt catch while installing the block. You will not have last round bolt hold open though in that configuration, unless you switch to a 9mm bolt catch (which will up your changeover time to about 5-10 minutes) or you use the dedicated top load block (which requires removal and re-installation of the standard 5.5 bolt catch).

There's always the bottom load block if you want the fastest changeover and last round bolt hold open. I didn't want to go this route though because of the chance of the block getting loose and/or falling out (however rare of an occurrence it may be, I didn't want to risk it).

Thanks for the info! Last round hold open isnt a big concern. Has anyone tried using Sten mags with the Hahn block, or is it too narrow?

Overall, this is sounding pretty good.
Top Top