Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/7/2006 5:43:47 PM EDT
Okay.....I know there have been many threads concerning the different mag blocks but I still have some questions.

First off I will be using this rifle only as a range toy. My life will not be depending on it. However, I don't want to be fooling around with the mag block every few mags or every few trips to the range.

With that being said is there any reason why I shouldn't just go with the RRA block? From what I've read it's not perfect and has caused some people problems. But the Hahn blocks are a little more pricey.

As of now I'm looking at getting the Hahn dedicated mag block. This rifle will be a dedicated 9mm so I figured I might as well go with a more permanent mag block.

So my main question is that since this is a range toy should I still save the extra money for the Hahn or will the RRA suffice?

Thanks for looking and sorry if you're tired of these types of questions.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:12:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 8:14:22 PM EDT by Orange_Neck]
Have you consider Garrison blocks? It's priced similarly to a RRA block. I had a Garrison block and it functioned flawlessly and was machined nicely. The Hahn block was machined even better and finished with hard anodization unlike the Garrison. The Garrison block's finish had the color of parkerization. Since it's made of aluminum, that is not park; but rather, some sort of very durable paint(???)

The Hahn block, however, is designed to work with Colt mags. If you use a none Colt mag, some modification(s) may be required to the mag to get it to guide the ammo correctly during the feeding cycle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:59:22 PM EDT
Thanks for the reply. I'm still leaning towards the Hahn block.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:06:30 PM EDT
In my view, Hahn is the Cadillac of them all.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:22:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Orange_Neck:
In my view, Hahn is the Cadillac of them all.

That's good to hear. I don't mind spending the extra money. I just don't want to if the advantages aren't worth the extra money.

It's frustrating to have the rifle complete minus the mag block!! I want to go shoot it so bad!!

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:36:35 PM EDT
I would go with the Hahn block. I started off with an RRA and ended up going through 5 different brands/types of mag blocks before ending up with a Hahn. Had I known about the Hahn at the beginning, I would have gone with it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:24:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fq1234:
I would go with the Hahn block. I started off with an RRA and ended up going through 5 different brands/types of mag blocks before ending up with a Hahn. Had I known about the Hahn at the beginning, I would have gone with it.

That's what I wanted to hear.

Has the Hahn been 100% for you or have you still encountered a few problems?

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:13:04 PM EDT
I put together a 9mm with all RRA parts (upper, hammer, mag block, buffer) on a MEGA lower. The original upper did not fit any of my receivers but after RRA changed it out , it has run 100%. I use the RRA mag block that has the bolt hold open feature (with proper mags). I have one of the RRA modified Uzi mags and four of the Promags with bolt hold open. The mag block was a snug fit and the mags are snug also. I now have only about 130 rounds through it but everything works as it should. I hope it keeps this up because it sure is fun to shoot and seems very accurate.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:23:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 7:26:34 PM EDT by fq1234]

Originally Posted By LonghornAR15:

That's what I wanted to hear.

I haven't gotten a chance to run a huge amount through it. I had one failure to feed with some flat tip ammo I was trying to put through it, no problems with the FMJ I have run.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:46:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GS1000SN:
I put together a 9mm with all RRA parts (upper, hammer, mag block, buffer)

Sounds very similar to my setup. I have an RRA upper, hammer (w/ RRA LPK), and buffer. I'll probably be going with the Hahn block. And as of now I have one modified Uzi mag and one promag.

It's looking like I'll be placing my order for the Hahn block sometime next week.

I'll post a pic of it in the photo thread and I'll give a range report after I get the chance to shoot it.

Thanks again for the feedback!!

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:07:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2006 2:52:16 AM EDT by Orange_Neck]

Originally Posted By LonghornAR15:

My RRA mod 25-round Uzi mags run 100%. Hahn is designed for Colt mags and will not guarantee function with anything else.
Top Top