Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 4:32:33 PM EDT
I don't see a lot of traffic about the 9mm Beta mags.  Do they work well?  In what mag blocks do they function?

I've got the Hahn/Colt semi-dedicated block and was considering one.

Anyone got a report to share with that setup?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two Beta Cs for my three Colt 9mm uppers(10.5" A3, 10.5" A3w/ARMS SIRS #50c+ HALO sight, and 16" A3).  I just got a Hahn magwell adapter to go in my Colt M16 RR.  I had been using a Colt magwell adapter.  The Beta Cs run great.  Full 99rd Beta dumps.  I would recommend putting a snap cap in first and 99rds after it.  With the snap cap as the last round you are not dry firing on an empty chamber.  Also it potects the top dummy round.  The top dummy round has a rounded rear end so the bolt won't pick it up.  The bolt has a tendance to gouge the top round as it is forced back into the mag.  The snap cap eliminates that problem.

The ROF is is a little slower with the first rounds because of the extra spring pressure.  After 30rds or so the ROF speeds up as there are fewer round and less spring resistance in the mag.  It wouldn't seem like that would matter in semi.  Don't be shy about putting the whole 100 rds in the mag.  I talked with Kevin at BETACO.  He said they left a 5.56 NATO mag with 100rds on the self for five years.  He said that when he took the mag to the range he emptied it in three bursts of around 30rds each.  He said tha the mag ran great without any problems.  I would think that the 9mm would perform the same.

If you have a full auto the Beta mags are a pile of fun.  The guys with the semis tend to get board with them.  I bought or traded three of my five Betas from guys with semis that didn't think the mags were worth the cost.  The Beta Cs are pretty pricey for the capacity.  You could buy five new Colt 32rd 9mm mags for the price of one 9mm Beta C.  The Beta C system is NOT designed to activate the bolt hold open device.  They are heavy and it would be very bad to drop a loaded Beta on a hard surface since 90%+ of the outside surfaces are plastic.

A 99rd Beta dump brings a big smile to my face.  But after putting almost 100rds through an upper it is very hot and needs to cool, even it semi auto.  Between mags and uppers I have more money in accessories than I spent on the original M16 when I bought it.  After a Beta dump, I will not use the upper again until I can hold my hand on the barrel.  So in my opinion to use a Beta you need more than one upper, or be willing to set your rifle aside until it cools.  I hope that my experiance is helpful.

Scott
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the Minnesota members has one, but I haven't been able to try it out yet

I'll send him a IM with this link
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:13:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 9MM Beta C for my 6450.  Everything Canon said is dead on.  Except I wouldn't bother with the snap cap, dry firing an AR doesn't hurt it any.

I've only done one dump through my semi-auto and it went fine.  

Unless you have FA, I wouldn't bother with one until I had a good supply (10+) of real Colt 9MM 32rounders.  Simply a better investment.  They are fun at the range for coolness factor, but not very tactical unless you have FA.

About the only time they are useful for SA is if you're trying to defend a stationary position, but then I'd be using 5.56 or something bigger and not 9MM.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Unless you have FA, I wouldn't bother with one until I had a good supply (10+) of real Colt 9MM 32rounders.  Simply a better investment.  They are fun at the range for coolness factor, but not very tactical unless you have FA.

Yes, full auto.  "Tactical" wasn't a consideration.  High capacity was/is the primary concern.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#5]
    While I agree with "back40" that dry firing overall isn't a big deal with an AR.  For me the bigger issue is the second reason for the snap cap.  Which is the snap cap also potects the top dummy round. The top dummy round has a rounded rear end and is linked to the next round below it, so the bolt won't pick it up. The bolt has a tendance to gouge the top round as it is forced back into the mag. The snap cap eliminates that problem.

I got the heads up about a snap cap before I got my first 9mm Beta C.  My oldest 5.56 Beta had a lot of gouges in the top rounded aliminum dummy round.  That not only gouges that top round, but also puts aluminum filings either down into the mag.  Or the gouging puts aluminum filings into my upper.  I don't think that either place is a good spot for aluminum filings.  So using a spap cap eliminates that problem.

I also agree that having a good stash of real Colt 32rd mags is much better investment.  I can't keep track of how many rounds are left in a 32rd mag.  So it is almost impossible not to drop the hammer on an empty chamber with the Beta C.  Just my opinion.

Scott
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps I will have one ‘very-slightly’ used that I can pass along for a good price.  Just let me know if you are interested, Ill check on one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#7]

mine works flawlessly
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#8]
nize pic....

been using a Beta 9 on my full auto for a while now.  first day at the range it came apart after a dump and all the followers went airborn, but beta fixed it right away and had it back to me.  i've had a couple of instances of jamming, but it is probably more of a function of the mag block (colt) in my bushmaster/sendra lower and how it fits relative to the feed ramp.  overall, they are cool and fun to shoot with the full auto's.  using the dummy round makes good sense to me so i'll try that next trip out with it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.barnesengineering.com/Gn9Pics91/ar9-954.jpg
mine works flawlessly

What mag block?

What barrel?

What muzzle device?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#10]
RE: What mag block?
HAHN PRECISION  DEDICATED 9MM CONVERSION BLOCK

RE:What barrel?
Cut down Rock River Arms

RE: What muzzle device?
AK74 drilled out for 9mm
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I waiting for them to come out with a clear back
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top