Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2005 10:00:03 AM EDT
Again.......I waited 3 months and when it finally arrived it was in a preban/post sunset config.
I live in Jersey so I'm off to pick  up my (hopefully) compliant rifle shortly. I'll give an initial
reaction after I get it. It may be a while before I can shoot it though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Well did ya get it?
Interested in your initial opinion of it as well as pics if you can!
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes,  I did pick it up this past Saturday. Some background info before I list my initial impressions:
I bought this gun knowing full well Oly's rep, knowing this is a new concept and that quite frankly, I would blindly be a guinea pig for this novelty-type weapon. Also,  this would be a winter indoor range gun, a hopefully a good platform to introduce the wife and my little boy to the AR platform (someday).  I'm sorry I can't post pics at this time as I am in the middle of moving, new job, etc and have limited on-line access and capability so bear with me.

First off I live in New Jersey so AWB crap is still in full effect . After 3 months of waiting,
it comes in post-sunset & A2 configuration . Another 2 weeks rolls by and I get it this
Saturday. First thing I noticed is theres a strip of metal riveted to the outside of the receiver
that starts at the bolt catch and ends at the "front-top" of the reciever just before the pivot
pin. It then enters the reciever via a cut out in the receiver -  again, just behind the pivot pin.
Right then & there, any faint hopes of this ever becoming anything other than a novelty went
out the door at this point in my mind. Secondly, NO MAGAZINE IS INCLUDED. When did you EVER buy a gun with no mag???  . I mean its only a glock mag - jesus for $900
and making me wait 4 months throw in an effen G19 mag for cripe's sake. Next I asked my dealer
to loan me a glock mag to insert and it clicked in and engaged the mag catch fine. Looked it over well and deemed the finish and general handling/operation etc... of the gun acceptable.

I take it home and although to date I have not been able to strip it down yet, I insert 6 or 7 G17 or G19 mags I have at home and of course NONE engage the mag catch   .

I will not start an Oly sucks crusade since in general I think most manufacturers produce
quality goods with the occasional lemon and I know there are loads of happy and satisfied
OA customers, but I am not impressed so far. I have another handful of glock mags packed away somewhere that I'll try before sending the thing back the washington State as I suppose I'll be on the hook for the shipping back and forth to make this this right. Please overlook and inmproper AR "terminology" in describing the gun as I still consider myself somewhat of a noob

I'll post  followup reports as they occur. I set low expectations so I wouldn't be dissappointed if this thing turned out to be a piece of crap. So far so good.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#3]
       I feel your frustration, refering to no mag, exterior mag catch plate, and mine double tapped every sixth or seventh round.  I do not have any problems with my glock mags yet.  I sent it back to OLY,on my dollar of course, and they said they fixed the prob..  I got it back from them within a week but I went to shoot it again and it double tapped again.  They never sent me a note listing the problem or what repairs were done.  I didnt ask either, I just assumed they fixed it.  It looked like they shaved some of the connector.  I noticed the the coating was gone and it appeared to be filed or shaving.  
       It is very costly to keep shipping it back to them from VA so I will look for someone around here to fix it.  Which will void the warranty they say, I know....  Lifetime warranty but $50.00 bucks shipping I will not do again.  Other than the double tap issue and getting use to the weird mag catch plate thingy concept it shoots awesome.  It is a quality rifle and shoots very good.  I put well over 1000 rounds through it.  I'm gonna keep it for now.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
pick up some g18 33rd mags for it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:14:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Its going back. I found my stash of G19s and 20 mags later NONE engaged. My local dealer
is quite the smart-ass wise guy and when I tell him that none of the mags seated he will
say well the one you tried here fit, right ???   .

Wolfpak - glad to hear the generally positive review. thanks. As I stated earlier,
                this will hopefully be a high-round count fun gun to screw around with
                at the range. I can't wait to have people come up to me and say
                "Jesus, is that thing LEGAL here????"  
                It sucks here in NJ compared to other areas of the country such as my home
                state of Florida but its not like England (yet) so I play by the rules until I can
                go home

ANYONE ELSE HAVE ONE OF THESE CARBINES???  EXPERIENCES???
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had one for about a year and have one problem, broke 2 bolt releases....wound up buying a Wilson tactical, and havent had a problem since (2000+ rounds)
I have the 16" bbl, float tube and RR 2 stage trigger
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Brushdog: THANKS

Moondog: Do you mean You had a 223 OLY rifle or specifically the 9mm carbine that accepts
glock 9mm OR .40 mags. If so, I'm surprised you had one for a year but the broken bolt release does not surprise me at all!!This is a relatively new gun.   Those Wilsons sure are beautiful weapons!  I would LOVE a 1911from that shop.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Brushdog: THANKS

Moondog: Do you mean You had a 223 OLY rifle or specifically the 9mm carbine that accepts
glock 9mm OR .40 mags. If so, I'm surprised you had one for a year but the broken bolt release does not surprise me at all!!This is a relatively new gun.   Those Wilsons sure are beautiful weapons!  I would LOVE a 1911from that shop.

I believe he meant he replaced the bolt catch with Wilson bolt catch on his Oly GL lower.  One of the members here makes a 9mm buffer designed to prevent the bolt catches from breaking.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=263131
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I see. Thanks again brother.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#11]
For those of you with these, do they handle hollowpoints ok?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#12]
yep. no problems with feeding, Oly uses a cone shape for a feeding ramp and its reliable with most all ammo
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Man... the mixed feelings on this holds me back just enough not to jump on ordering it yet.

I really wish someone with a better rep for quality and customer service would make one and improve on the design.

Based on my previous correspondance with Oly I can only imagine their customer service is flakey. The way they answer questions via e-mail is really shakey at best.

I didn't realize just how ghetto-rigged that mag release plate thing was until you described how they cut a slot into the receiver to accomodate it.

The mag thing sounds like a serious issue. Are they definitely factory mags? I've heard that Glock "outsources" mag production to another "authorized" company. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Not getting a mag is pretty flakey too.

What's the reason for the mag coming out of the mag well and an angle, as opposed to straight down like other 9mm AR's? Is it because that's the way it loads into the pistol and they had to built around that fact?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top