Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/5/2003 6:45:32 AM EDT
Does anybody know if making a ar-15 .22lr legal in Calif. I live in the Republic of California, and the laws here are very restrictive. Can anyone help? Thanks....
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:07:52 AM EDT
There are discussions elsewhere on this board about making CA-legal ARs in .223 and I assume .22LR is the same. Definitely check them out to make sure you know exactly what restrictions you need to meet. The tricky part will probably be making a non-removable 10-round magazine. Perhaps you could get an upper built around whichever kit uses the inserts in regular magazines and use a FAB-10 lower. (Assuming that the 10-round magazine is long enough for the insert.) Or maybe you could take a FAB-10 and replace the 10-round .223 magazine with the .22LR one. I think that'd be pretty easy with a Ciener since they're metal and you could rivet them in, but you'd probably have to cut a hole in the fixed bottom plate for the mag to clear. I don't know how you'd fix one of the plastic magazines in place that would be considered permanent by CA authorities.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:13:45 AM EDT
DPMS makes an AR-15 .22lr that only uses its magazines, and they are only 10 shot. It runs for 629.00, but I want to make my own so I can make my mods as I build the lower. i.e. different grips, and stock..
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:02:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fr_tekk: DPMS makes an AR-15 .22lr that only uses its magazines, and they are only 10 shot. It runs for 629.00, but I want to make my own so I can make my mods as I build the lower. i.e. different grips, and stock..
View Quote
The problem is that these mags fit into a standard AR-15 magwell that will also accept Hi-Cap AR-15 mags.
Top Top