Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/31/2003 6:37:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2003 6:42:25 PM EDT by RPD20]
I recieved some LEO Colt 9mm mags today. They are marked 6/98. They have the plastic follower.

My question is...... will these mags work with hollowpoint ammo. With each mag there was a note from Colt that reads, "THIS MAGAZINE PROPERLY FUNCTIONS WITH BALL AMMUNITION ONLY".

Does Colt make a mag that does function with hollowpoint ammo? Seems silly to me that Colt would make a LE magazine that does not work with modern ammo.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 4:34:02 AM EDT
The note is a "cover-your-ass" from Colt. The mags will work with some HP ammo, but not all types. Various brands have different bullet profiles and some work better at feeding than others. The Federal 9BP, for example, was specifically designed with a bllet profile that duplicates the contour of ball ammo. The only way to find out if the mags will work with a particular brand of HP is to buy some and try it. How many rounds of flawless feeding will satisfy you? 100, 500, 1,000? That's up to you. The note keeps Colt from having to replace functional mags all the time because somebody tries to use some funky bullet in their ammo and the gun barfs. It also attempts to minimize their liability in case a Colt goes down in a serious encounter and a customer gets hurt or killed. It may or may not help them, but it's cheap to throw a little slip of paper in with the mags.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:02:05 AM EDT
I have 3 Colt mags. All 3 have worked well with a variety of 9mm HP. The only round I remember as being unreliable was some old Spanish surplus that was much shorter than normal. The 147 gr HP from various manufacturers, including myself, seems to work extremely well. It is my current choice. The carbine length barrel almost gets it up into .357 magnum territory. (Unless, of course, you shoot the .357 from a carbine).
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:33:31 AM EDT
When did they start issuing the Colt mags with plastic followers?
Top Top