Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/18/2003 1:17:17 PM EDT
this might be a topic better placed on the trouble shooting board, but figured i'd start here since many of you might have had experience with the 9mm bolt ramping that so many have done to help take some of the wear and tear off your 223 lowers when using a 9mm upper kit.

here's the deal. had my bolt ramped a while back. works fine with my 223 lower in semi or full auto, but binds on the 9mm hammer when using my 9mm lower now, and will not function at all when using the 9mm lower. is there that much dimensional difference (height, angles, etc.) between the 9mm and 223 hammers that could be causing this? when using the 9mm lower, if the hammer if forward, the bolt cannot be drawn back at all manuall due to the binding.

anybody else having this problem?

tia
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:41:34 PM EDT
That is normal....9mm Hammer is wider than std ar hammer...one of the points of ramping is to use your Std hammer so you dont have to swap hammers to use different uppers..........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:52:54 AM EDT
thanks underdog- so what you are saying is that i need another 9mm bolt carrier (non ramped) when using a 9mm lower, and dedicate the ramped 9mm bolt carrier to shooting a 9mm kit on a 223 lower?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:26:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Burnsome-: thanks underdog- so what you are saying is that i need another 9mm bolt carrier (non ramped) when using a 9mm lower, and dedicate the ramped 9mm bolt carrier to shooting a 9mm kit on a 223 lower?
View Quote
If you get another non ramped bolt you will wear your 9mm lower. Put a .223 hammer in the 9mm lower or get the bolt ramp widened.....
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:17:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Burnsome-: thanks underdog- so what you are saying is that i need another 9mm bolt carrier (non ramped) when using a 9mm lower --[blue]NO[/blue]--, and dedicate --[blue]NO[/blue]--the ramped 9mm bolt carrier to shooting a 9mm kit on a 223 lower?
View Quote
Steve, if I recall, you have a M16? If I read your post correctly you have a 2nd lower for 9mm use? Anyway, keep the ramp bolt, and use it as is for M16, and if your other lower is semi... just use the hammer as shown in the pic, it's M16 with the lug removed. A few of the suppliers are selling the hammer like this, as this is 1 I bought years ago. Look at the cut on your ramp where it starts at the hammer surface, look to see that it is cut as wide as the "fingers" on the weight next to the hammer. [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p7a21929478de21856da2653f457a76fc/fc681fb2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:26:49 AM EDT
yessir SBR7_11, that is correct. i'll give that a try. thanks !
Top Top