Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/5/2003 7:53:00 PM EDT
OK, suppose I have the hare brain idea of offering a 45 ACP upper + conversion system for the AR. It would take unmodified magazines. Which type would be preferred, the Thompson (M-1) or the Grease Gun (M-3)

IIRC this was asked in another forum many moons ago and I can't find the post to save my life

M
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:14:22 AM EDT
I prefer the Thompson mags. Booker
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 12:18:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By booker3557: I prefer the Thompson mags. Booker
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 12:38:05 PM EDT
If lower receiver magwell width were not an issue, I'd perfer the GG mags. They tend to be cheaper than Tommys, and methinks the single-feed design of the GG mags would give you less trouble than the Tommy mags. Someday, when hell freezes over, I'll be putting together a .45 ACP system that uses .45 ACP Madsen mags, as I managed to secure an appropriate number of them. They *almost* fit an AR magwell, so there will be just a little opening up of a dedicated lower to accomodate the Madsen mags.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:39:06 PM EDT
JB, For one thing, I think the Thompson mags are easier to load and because I already have some. I've been thinking of getting one of Rhineland's 45 ACP FAL when he gets the mag adapter for the Thompson mag working. Booker
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:50:32 PM EDT
Thompson mags all the way. 1. Easy to load. 2. Shorter overall lenth. 3. A choice of 20 or 30 rds. 4. Bolt hold open option, if you can get it to work. 5. Positive notch for a paddly release.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:24:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By booker3557: JB, For one thing, I think the Thompson mags are easier to load and because I already have some. I've been thinking of getting one of Rhineland's 45 ACP FAL when he gets the mag adapter for the Thompson mag working. Booker
View Quote
Thanks I currently have an oly .45 that I can't feed cheaply. I wish someone would come up with something that would use either of these magazines.
Top Top