Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2003 7:53:00 PM EDT
OK, suppose I have the hare brain idea of offering a 45 ACP upper + conversion system for the AR.  It would take unmodified magazines.  Which type would be preferred, the Thompson (M-1) or the Grease Gun (M-3)

IIRC this was asked in another forum many moons ago and I can't find the post to save my life

M
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the Thompson mags.

Booker
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I prefer the Thompson mags.

Booker
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#3]
If lower receiver magwell width were not an issue, I'd perfer the GG mags.  They tend to be cheaper than Tommys, and methinks the single-feed design of the GG mags would give you less trouble than the Tommy mags.

Someday, when hell freezes over, I'll be putting together a .45 ACP system that uses .45 ACP Madsen mags, as I managed to secure an appropriate number of them.  They *almost* fit an AR magwell, so there will be just a little opening up of a dedicated lower to accomodate the Madsen mags.

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#4]
JB,

For one thing, I think the Thompson mags are easier to load and because I already have some.  I've been thinking of getting one of Rhineland's 45 ACP FAL when he gets the mag adapter for the Thompson mag working.

Booker
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thompson mags all the way.
1. Easy to load.
2. Shorter overall lenth.
3. A choice of 20 or 30 rds.
4. Bolt hold open option, if you can get it to work.
5. Positive notch for a paddly release.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
JB,

For one thing, I think the Thompson mags are easier to load and because I already have some.  I've been thinking of getting one of Rhineland's 45 ACP FAL when he gets the mag adapter for the Thompson mag working.

Booker
View Quote

Thanks

I currently have an oly .45 that I can't feed cheaply.  I wish someone would come up with something that would use either of these magazines.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top