Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2003 6:20:24 AM EDT
Finally put it all together, here are some shots, lo res pics and hirez links.

Left Side

http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/Left_side.jpg

Left Side Hirez.

FIRSH left side.

http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/FIRSH_left_side.jpg

FIRSH left side Hirez.

FIRSH left side low angle.

http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/FIRSH_left_side_lo.jpg

FIRSH left side low angle Hirez.

FIRSH right side.

http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/FIRSH_r_side.jpg

FIRSH right side Hirez.

Surefire G2 top.

http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/G2_top.jpg

Surefire G2 top Hirez.

Surefire G2 left high angle.

http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/G2_left_hi.jpg

Surefire G2 left high angle Hirez.

Redimag detail.

http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/Redimag.jpg

Redimag detail Hirez.

capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/Redimag_hirez.jpg]Redimag detail Hirez.[/url

The Surefire G2 worked so well in the First Samco mount that I ended up replacing my 200 lumen 6P (mounted in Leupold QRW rings) with it, now the 6P sits in its holster on my side once again (and the Leupold QRW are on my .308 bolt gun). I did remove the First Samco light mount push button and replaced it with a simple crossbolt. Regrettablely this eliminates the quick release feature of the First Samco mount, but it wasn't sturdy enough.

The Redimag was a highly desired addition to the weapon, the 45ACP converted UZI mags work fine in it, although tight as all get out with no drop free feature. Once I try some .223/5.56 mags for tightness I will decide whether or not to modify for a drop free condition.

The Mag Pulls are pretty slick, and a nice touch to the overall weapon. If you can tell in the pics one of my mags is badly rusted, I might take it down to Oly Arms and get it refinished. I was also thinking about Perma Sliking them, anyone use it on steel mags?

The cheap arse BSA laser so far works well and has just proved to me that a laser is a desireable addition to the system. The BSA will go onto a Walther P22 plinker for the wife while I aquire a more weapon grade laser, any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Swiss vertical foregrip from Advanced Armament Corp fit very tight onto the FIRSH and seemed well anchored into place with the lock down bolt, but was pushed forward under live fire drills. I will probally install a crossbolt and modify the normal lock down bolt.

The RRA stubby buttstock has worked out fantastically and I have fallen in love with it, but there still is the "Twang" when it fires thats common to all AR's. I am going to look into a hydraulic or nuematic buffer system, if I cannot find one then I might just have to make one,lol.

Under test firing today everything worked well, the G2 is till working, and if it does break a bulb then I will replace it with a 105 lumen bulb and get the Isolated shock bezel and maybe a pressure switch to boot.

Unbelievably the BSA laser suffered no damage although it was almost no use outside in daylight.

If you will notice I made a cap for the end of my FIRSH, actually I have always had a cap on the forend and modified it to fit the FIRSH. On a related note I have not yet applied a solution to the Boonie Packer sling's front mount. I will probally drill and tap for a sling swivel mount thru the FIRSH and into the forend cap.

Accuracy on this setup has been great using Yellow Box UMC 45 ACP 230 gr Hollow Points, a poor mans defence load, filling those mags with Hydra Shocks would be expensive.

I keep spare Surefire H123 batts and a spare batt for the BSA Red Dot in the Lone Star Ordanance pistol grip, good thing cause I left the BSA Red Dot on overnight and drained the batt. Once I modify the swiss vertical grip I might be able to place spare batts for the laser in there. I was thinking about getting one of the First Samco Pistol grips with storage compartment due to my really liking its looks.

Fritze Out

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Well when I took my carbine into work today to clean it up, better to mess up the gunshop than my apartment, I noticed that the charging handle was damaged.

I will be taking it in tomorrow to Oly Arms for a replacement, already talked to my buddy Skip in sales about it. It cracked on both sides right behind the carrier key notch protrusion at the very front of the charging handle. I have never seen that before, freaky.

The gun worked flawlessly yesterday except for one missfire, I believe it was its very first one at that, and I'll bet the charging handle failure had something to do with it, the missfire cartridgre had a light firing pin strike mark on the primer.

I am going to get them to go over all of it too, bolt, extractor, spring ejector and do whatever upgrades need to be done (god It will probally never shoot so good again,lol).

Might just get them to refish the mags too.

Hey, just remembered, while working on it today I noticed that the Redimag wouldn't clear the FIRSH handguard. The upper will not swing open, you have to take both the front and rear takedown pins out to seperate the unit, ah whatta gonna do,lol.

Fritze Out
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
real nice settup Fritze.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Fritze, Nice setup!..How do you find the stubby stock for fit?..Im thinking about putting one on my Postban SBR 9mm(that is when the form1 comes back[lol]).........Thanks,UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I love the RRA stubby stock, some feel its too short but I have gotten used to it. It places you nose real close to the charging handle but It hasn't been an issue yet. Its fit and finish are great, excellant quality and fast service.

I have a one inch stock extentsion that I tried with it at first, but it defeats the whole stubby stocks purpose so I took it off.

I might be replacing my upper rec and trigger group one day and might go with RRA products, esp their two stage trigger.

My upper is one of the real old Oly Arms flattops, a normall upper was milled flat and a weaver base pinned and screwed on.

Fritze Out

Link Posted: 8/6/2003 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My upper is one of the real old Oly Arms flattops, a normall upper was milled flat and a weaver base pinned and screwed on.

Fritze Out
View Quote

I had one of those real old weaver base uppers also. I didn't know it was weaver until I tried to add a ARMS #38 MOD rail...and it wouldn't fit right. Really pissed me off.
Sent it to Oly and they replaced the upper Rec. with a Picatinny model for $90.
Thats a nice looking carbine, hope you can afford to feed it properly.
Here is a pic of my 45 carbine, although I've replaced the CAR stock with an A1 and added a single point sling attachement since the pic.

[img]http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/evilriflebest.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Great job Slacker,

Looks like you have put alot of work into your 45 Carbine. I like that pistol grip, looks like the First Samco with storage compartment that I have been pricing lately. The one on mine now is a Lonestar Ordnance with a compartment, I need it to hold all my spare batteries,lol.

Keeping it feed is another story altogether, lately I have been buying off the shelf, I have to get my reloading gear setup asap.

Some are suggesting I get the barrel fluted to lighten it up, but I don't know if I can wait while they do it. We have a Bridgeport Mill at my work but no indexing head, not really setup for that kinda work.

They got me all squared away at Oly the other day, replaced the cracked charging handle and gave her the once over, all is ship shape.

Now onto that front sling swivel mount.

Fritze Out
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Slacker-

Which single-point sling mount did you go with?  I'm still debating changing mine.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:15:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Slacker-

Which single-point sling mount did you go with?  I'm still debating changing mine.  
View Quote

I used the one that Treeptop (Adrenaline arms on the EE) is selling for $40 a pop (A1/A2 type).
Went in like a charm and sits low enough so it doesn't bust my knuckles.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Gentlemen, really nice setups!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top