Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/30/2003 1:53:14 PM EDT
I would like to dedicate an AR15 lower to a .45 acp upper. This is the easy part, the hard part is the magazines. I do not care if I have to have work done to the lower or have it pinned. I just refuse to spend $70 or $80 on a magazine. Does anyone have a thought, how about using a Thompson magazine
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 2:36:19 PM EDT
You're probably going to have to wait to see if someone develops something out of the Cav Arms lower receiver. Alternatively, I think Kurt uses a magblock for his conversion, but still uzes modified Uzi mags.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:26:44 AM EDT
Your only choice right now is to buy one of Tim LaFrance's semi-auto .45 acp conversions. They are extremely expensive but his quality is top notch.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 10:25:42 AM EDT
I am assuming that the LaFrance has a modified lower receiver- aren't Thompson mags too wide to fit ina standard lower receiver magwell?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:30:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dawg180: I am assuming that the LaFrance has a modified lower receiver-
View Quote
Yes his lowers are made for the thompson mag, but we lowly civilians are not worthy to buy his firearms or even ask questions via his web site unless you are an LEO.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:35:53 AM EDT
Too bad. I really would like a .45 cal subgun, and I have a lower sitting around. Hopefully the AW ban will sunset and someone will put .45 or .41 AE uzi mags back in production. Or someone could start working over old greasgun mags (and it wouldn't matter if they would work in the old M3 anymore). Maybe I'll just have to settle for a 9mm with a couple of modified Suomi drums :)
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 1:51:03 PM EDT
I'm betting that after the ban goes away .45 uzi mags will be spilling out of the woodwork.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 12:28:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick: I'm betting that after the ban goes away .45 uzi mags will be spilling out of the woodwork.
View Quote
I hope so.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:39:06 AM EDT
Guess I will just start saving my pennies for the next 12 months, and keep writing to my legislators.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:39:19 PM EDT
Or....What about making up mags to fit a standard AR well if the ban goes away?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 2:27:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2003 5:33:02 AM EDT by quartermoa]
Manufacturers are in the works now to make a dedicated lower to accept thompson, uzi or grease gun mags. There is no standard yet. The uzi and thompsons are narrower than the gg mag. Here is the link to show you Tim LaFrances semi-auto rifle that accepts "unmodified" thompson mags. I don't understand why someone can't copy what he has done and make it for cheaper![url]http://www.nait.com/[/url] I forgot to mention these go for $2450!!! Yes, you can buy this rifle from them. You are not going through Tim LaFrance.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:54:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2003 12:55:28 AM EDT by Boom_Stick]
Originally Posted By quartermoa: Manufacturers are in the works now to make a dedicated lower to accept thompson, uzi or grease gun mags. There is no standard yet. The uzi and thompsons are narrower than the gg mag. Here is the link to show you Tim LaFrances semi-auto rifle that accepts "unmodified" thomson mags. [url]http://www.nait.com/m161.html[/url] I forgot to mention these go for over $2500!!!
View Quote
This is not intended to flame you quartermoa, but try to contact laFrance about purchasing one of his .45 AR's and you run into this.....
Information Request Form: ONLY CORRESPONDENCE BY MEMBERS OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES WILL BE CONSIDERED
View Quote
[url=http://www.nait.com/LAFRANCE/corre.html]His correspondence page[/url] It seems he's not to gun friendly to us lowly civilians. I dont think I'd buy one if he lowered the price to a reasonable $800-$900.
Top Top