Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2003 9:06:47 AM EDT
Has anyone made a 9mm AOW from an AR lower?

Since it is legal to make and AOW from a "virgin" AR lower, as long as you do it in the correct way, this has some potential as a fun gun, maybe even a good house gun.

No it does not really replace a handgun or a carbine. It just fits in the middle of them. I am not sure it would ever be a first choice weapon. Maybe all it would be is a way to fire more ammo at the range. I am just curious if anyone has done it yet, in 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:34:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2003 8:37:08 AM EDT by rxdawg]
Not yet, but I have thought about it on occasion. The idea of an AOW in .223/5.56mm has always struck me as somewhat absurd due to barrel length, a pistol caliber AOW would be a much more usable product. Might make a neat toy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:23:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Zoub: Has anyone made a 9mm AOW from an AR lower?
View Quote
Oly made some of their OA-93 uppers in 9mm years ago... Find one and go for it! mark
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:52:26 AM EDT
It would be pretty cool. You could use it similar to a MP5K with a sling tightened so that when you pulled it forward, it would be the same distance from your eye as it would be if it had a stock. It would be pretty stable and not suffer from too much recoil or muzzle flip due to the heavier weight as compared to a sidearm. I actually think it might make an effective CQB/HD weapon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:27:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By knightone: You could use it similar to a MP5K with a sling tightened so that when you pulled it forward, it would be the same distance from your eye as it would be if it had a stock.
View Quote
That is what I was kind of thinking. Also, since the AOW tax is $5 as compared to $200 for an SBR, it is a no brainer. Then if you ever decided you really wanted to add a CAR stock, you could register it as an SBR and then do so. Either way, it seems like a fun idea to me so I am going to put that on my "list".
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:38:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Zoub: That is what I was kind of thinking. Also, since the AOW tax is $5 as compared to $200 for an SBR, it is a no brainer. Then if you ever decided you really wanted to add a CAR stock, you could register it as an SBR and then do so. Either way, it seems like a fun idea to me so I am going to put that on my "list".
View Quote
While the transfer fee for an AOW is only $5, the making fee is still $200. So, unless you have a type 07 FFL, with SOT paid, make you the AOW, it will cost the same as a SBR for you to manufacture. I suspect that adding a stock to an AOW would permanently make it a SBR and require an additional making fee of $200. It may be less hassle, and cheaper in the long run, so simply register/build as a SBR and swap the stock on or off as needed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:10:27 PM EDT
OMR, Thanks for the info. It has been a while since I read any of that stuff, but what you said rings some bells. I forgot about the making tax. So now I make an SBR. I think I just went full circle from where I was a few months ago.
Top Top