Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/4/2003 8:17:48 AM EDT
I was wondering who else has broken the position plate spring on their M261.  I am now on my second one and it broke yesterday.  This seems to happen after about 5k rounds through the unit.  Any Ideas?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean the wire clip that holds the cartridge to the bolt face? I've not had one break yet but I would like to know where I can get some 'just in case'.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#2]
No, this is the spring clip at the top rear of the support lug.  It is a flar spring with one end anchored to the lug by the screw in the rear of the unit.  They are not expensive to replace, but I've now broken two of them, although they did last 5k rounds each.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:55:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have broken several of those blade positioning springs.  I have found a superior method to locking the carrier in place.

Get a 1/2" square wood dowel.  Remove the recoil buffer; leave the recoil spring installed.  Cut a length of dowel that will let the recoil buffer lock in place WITHOUT moving in the recoil tube.  Insert the dowel into the recoil tube, then reinsert the buffer.

This adds to the time needed to switch between .22 and .223, but it saves buying those expensive blade springs.

Over time, the dowel will get pounded, and the M261 carrier will start to move; time for another dowel.  I have coated both ends of the dowel with epoxy; this greatly extends its useful life.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you mean the wire clip that holds the cartridge to the bolt face? I've not had one break yet but I would like to know where I can get some 'just in case'.
View Quote

I have made these clips out of piano wire, using two pair of needlenose pliers and some patience.  They work as well as the factory clips.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone need mags for your m261 i have three $15.00ea plus shipping
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 1:43:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try Sarco NJ. Look up their address in an old issue of Shooting Times, if you are lucky you might find their price list too.

By the way, this little spring cost me 10 bucks, not exactly cheap...
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top