Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/19/2003 6:27:17 AM EDT
I have been debating whether to get a 9mm upper, but have holding off until next year to see what happens to the ban.  It occured to me, however, that the only features that are affected on the upper are the bayonet lug (which I don't care about) and the flash suppressor.

So the question is:  Does a flash supressor actually make a difference on a 9mm w/ a 16" barrel?  I assume has no effect at day, but what about low light shooting?

Of course, I guess this is a moot point if the AW ban gets signed back in to effect in Sept. 2004.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Flash hider is piontless on a 16" barrel.  So is a bayonet lug.  A bayonet will not fit a 16" barrel with CAR length grips.  Might work with mid length.  Not sure though.  You could cut to 14.5 and use a permanently attached flash hider that would get you to 16" over all, but that is a lot of work if it doesn't matter to you.  Happy shopping.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Paul- you gave me the excuse I need to buy that upper 15 months earlier than planned!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If you plan to run any lead bullets, you will literally be chizeling lead off your muzzle brake or flash hider.  As long as the holes are clear, I'm not even going to try to get the lead off!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:56:52 AM EDT
[#4]
And yet, Colt supplies their 9mm with FS.... it has a "lesser" effect than for 223 because the 9mm round burns most of the powder through a short barrel.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#5]
No fireball like the Q3131A through my post-ban M4, eh? [:)]

Lead crudding up the flash hider??  Why would that happen, unless the bullet was actually scraping it on the way out?

While I am asking, anyone have experience with the Olyarms muzzle brake?  Seems like on a 9mm with so little recoil to begin with there would really be no point?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:44:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lead crudding up the flash hider??  Why would that happen, unless the bullet was actually scraping it on the way out?
View Quote

Heat from powder burn melts the lead bullets' base slightly along with friction down the barrel causes a small amount of lead to be "sprayed" out and collect on exposed part.  I used to run lead in a comped 1911, the debris would build up so far, then blow out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Exactly.  That is how barrel leading occurs.  Not from friction, but burned bases.  That is the purpose of gas checks on hot loads.  As long as my barrel doesn't lead, I am happy.

Not that I am cheap, though.  I got stuck with 4 boxes of lead loads in a trade and gotta burn them up some how......   :D

16 doubletaps and then reload!!!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top