Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/17/2003 9:26:01 PM EDT
Is there such an animal, and is there a point for one? I know that they're the way to go for a 5.56 AR15, but what about us 9mm shooters? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:08:41 AM EDT
yes there is Sableco sells rock river arms Crome lined 9mm barrels. I know that they are helpful with 5.56 but like you am not sure that they are needed I do like the fact that crome bores are easier to clean. I don't find that much difference in accuracy and with 9mm it isnt like you will be taking out varmints at 300 meters.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:48:29 AM EDT
You know, I saw that, but I think it's an editing error on their webpage. I do know that RRA does offer chrome-lined M4 barrels, and that's what they're listed as on the page. They just format the title "Rock River Arms Chrome Lined M4 Style Uppers:" correctly.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:43:57 PM EDT
NO WAY is that an editing error the crome lined uppers run about 100 bucks more than the others check it out also do a search for adco firearms they carry rra also.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 1:49:50 PM EDT
NO WAY is that an editing error the crome lined uppers run about 100 bucks more than the others check it out also do a search for adco firearms they carry rra also.
View Quote
I called Rock River yesterday to find out if I could get a midlength hanguard on an M4 barrel. While I had her on the phone, I asked about their 9mm barrels. They only offer 1 type... NOT M4 profile, and NOT chrome lined. Sorry...
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:41:05 PM EDT
I've had a Colt upper for almost 2 years now...it has a chrome bore and chamber...and it's never been cleaned...and it still shoots great... about 6,000 rounds so far... I clean the bolt, inside of the upper receiver, and the lower every few hundred rounds but nothing has ever been down the barrel except ammo....
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:49:23 PM EDT
This is something I spent a lot of time learning about before I bought my RRA upper. Generally (see sig for generalizations) there is no need to chrome line a 9mm subgun barrel. Most military (not talking about US IMI semi-auto imports) UZI barrels aren't chrome lined. Most MP5 barrels aren't chrome lined. I don't think ANY MP-40 barrels were either. Both Madsen "CIA" SMGs I've seen weren't chrome lined. Thompson SMGs weren't either. Why did Colt chrome line thier 9mm bores? Dunno, but I like it. They should extract more easily and clean up better. Most Berretta 92F barrels are chrome lined. I've owned four that have been and every one I saw in duh Army was. I'll argue until I'm blue in the face that 5.56mm barrels for duty and full-auto firearms should be chrome lined unless you just like barrels that wear out faster and are harder to clean. I'm not so sure about 9mm barrels. My RRA barrel doesn't clean up as quick and easy as my old cut down chrome-lined semi-auto UZI barrel did. That thing looked like new and had 12,000 or more rounds down it. I don't think there's a need for a chrome lined 9mm barrel on a carbine or SMG. It sure can't hurt but it's not like a 5.56mm upper with the heat and pressure. Stainless is another story. When I was considering an Oly 9mm upper I was told that they come with a SS barrel. That's fine for a semi-auto but I didn't think it sounded like a good idea for a SMG. "Why not?" you ask..... How many machineguns have you heard of that have stainless barrels? Maybe Oly reams the hell out of the chambers and they run OK. I don't know. Why in the Wide Wide World of Sports would anyone want a 9mm upper with the barrel cut like an M4 barrel? Are 9mm/40mm setups suddenly in vogue now?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:10:20 PM EDT
Okay. Next question: Where to get one? Maybe I could re-barrel? Just because?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:27:43 PM EDT
Where to get one? A chrome lined one? Maybe [url=http://www.sawlesales.com]SAW[/url] would have one. Maybe Dennis Todd. I'm assuming that you wouldn't ask where to get a RRA 9mm barrel. rebarreling a 9mm is even easier than a 5.56mm upper due to the lack of gas tube. If you're using standard handguards then you still need to get the nut sort of lined up. Mine is a little off but not obvious.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:43:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 11:46:48 PM EDT by Gloftoe]
I have a RRA upper, with midlength handguards. So that may pose a problem, since 99% of the 9mms out there use CAR handguards [:(] Oh, and what about contact info for Dennis Todd? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:55:55 PM EDT
I guess you want to preserve the mid-length thing and get a chromed bore barrel? Were I a betting man I'd bet that there is no such animal in any noteworth quantities. Of course a decade of marriage and software programming has taught me that the more certain I am the more wrong I wind up being. Unless you're blasting 2000+ rounds a month full auto I doubt you'll be able to afford to wear that barrel out. My approach is to not shoot unjacketed rounds, hit it with the Sweets 7.62 solvent every other outing and otherwise just scrub it like normal. Get a really dense 10mm/.40 bronze pistol brush. I throw my upper in an action clamp and c-clamp that to the top of a $12 book case and stand there and scrub the shit out of it. It comes clean pretty quickly, but not as quick as a chrome lined one would...... If I weren't able to ignore the barrel length mumbo jumbo, I'd get a mid-length setup just for the extra handguard and sight radius. The pics always looked kind of goofy but I got to hold both a 5.56mm ArmaLite mid-length carbine and a RRA 9mm and it was pretty nice. I'm not very tall and a 41" M16A2 (or worse yet, an FAL) was just about 6" more rifle than I like to lug around.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:53:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By J_E_D: Where to get one? A chrome lined one? Maybe [url=http://www.sawlesales.com]SAW[/url] would have one. Maybe Dennis Todd.
View Quote
Is there any contact info for Dennis Todd?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:59:24 PM EDT
Been posted on AR15.com a few times, as taken from Subguns.com' dealer list: Dr. Dennis A. Todd - Class 10 540 Baltimore Pike Springfield, PA 19064 Phone: (610) 543-7300 Fax: (610) 543-7909 E-mail DToddmgREMOVETHISSPAMGARD@AOL.com Homepage: N/A
Top Top