Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I just get "FORBIDDEN" when I use the link....but I think I understand what you are talking about...that sounds like it should work good....now I can't wait until it gets here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:00:48 AM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid71/p13ed114ef000e7e51e65e5ffef7c98dd/fb9b0411.jpg[/img]
Thanks SBR7_11 for the photo site. My original site is very similar but it has started to give me fits.

The parts look a little rough, all are hand made except for the ejector.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:05:46 AM EDT
[#3]
... This one?

[img]http://www.vmhytech.com/images/inserted2.jpg[/img]

[url]www.vmhytech.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:23:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Winston_Wolf.....I believe AR-fan was trying to show pics of how he did some mods to hold his block in with the mag release.

That is the new block we are referring to though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#5]
HK_DUDE is right, I was showing how I kept my version in the magwell since I don't even use the regular AR magcatch to hold the mag in. I thought the tab on the top on the magwell device [u]might[/u] work on the VM Hi-Tech magwell adapter also.

This was all just kinda slapped together but it works! This is the home-made unit in the rifle.
[img]http://images.ofoto.com/photos202/4/32/64/74/64/0/64746432405_0_ALB.jpg[/img]
That little tab that's held in with a cap screw in the lower left is not really necessary -- I stuck that on there for a little extra hold-in strength.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, thank you for the information. I did do the "IMG" procedure but the pictures from my first site started to go away on me -- people were seeing only red X's so I tried the url procedure hoping that they could just click on it and the picture would come up and that went south also -- although it did work for a time. actually both ways work from that original site but the trouble is it's on and off -- sometimes it works and the next time it won't..

By the way, have you seen anything of the Hy-Tech mags yet?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Mario-FAMO mailed me last week,,, and said Hy-Tech says the adapters are to start shipping 7/18, so I mailed the FFL that is receiving our 3, he said it will go there first, so I need him to hold onto it for a week, as I will be in TN this coming Fri (7/25) night through all next week, do not want it showing up while I'm not here.

Had to e-mail Mike about my Warrior suppressor, and delay the shipping also, depending on when it would be ready.

If it aint 1 thing,, it's another......... someday all will come together.

EDIT-- I stole your pic, and hosted it in my storage bin, now this is what and how the Hy-Tech block should work,,,,, the correct way...

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid71/p79abaea0cec3c4b3bf03df02172d7907/fb9aa69f.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:56:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I will have to admit that you are right about the release -- I use this and it works just fine but I still forget from time to time and hit the AR mag release -- that's the reason for that little stop on the top. the picture is yours -- it was your idea, I just copied it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Got to ask, my idea was that the Uzi mag change a left hand operation, shooter would tip the rifle slightly to left, while maintain control of firearm with right hand (I hope you are a right hand shooter), grab mag with left and press release with the left thumb and pull the mag all at same time.... do you find this to be a fairly/really smooth operation to do, other than having to find the magwell opening when installing a new mag?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#10]
The way you described it is the way I take the mag out (Yes, I'm a righty). The mag comes out smoother than my wife taking money out of my wallet. Insertig the mag is easy with the big horn on the end of that thing I made -- I have no idea what the Hy-Tech looks like. I use the IMI mags and when I use some other brands I notice they may be a little tighter but not much.
This is my .357sig upper with the Home-made Uzi block.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid71/pd83481306c3fa517be6febb7c9aa5f44/fb99fa20.jpg[/img]
I put the red tape on the mags I have loaded with .357sig rounds.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:48:39 AM EDT
[#11]
O.K...I'm sure someone would've posted by now, but.....Anyone receive theirs yet. He told me they were shipping out last Friday...someone may have received theirs by now. I had to send a money order, so mine should be on it's way this week......IF, IF...they actually did go out on friday.

Bye the way...you mentioned HY-TECH mags...are they selling mags too?
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:26:19 AM EDT
[#12]
HK_DUDE,
   If I mentioned a Hy-Tech mag it was in error. I would have meant to say magblock or magwell adapter -- my bad!

Edit to say;
-- I would like to see that one of these Hy-Tech mag-blocks has just been received and maybe see some test info on it!
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:05:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I read your first instructions for the Sony and for some reason I still didn't see that little "orig.jpg" on the end. I went back and corrected them. Would this cause a problem with viewing the pics?
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:22:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I was really hoping to check in this forum this morning and read something along the lines of "I got my block yesterday........it is the shit...........works perfect,blah,blah,blah."

Is anyone out there who can verify one way or the other if they DID ship last Friday?  I would think that of the guys who've stated here they had pre-ordered that SOMEONE would've received theirs by now.  I really love the concept presented, but with promise after promise after promise being broken I think maybe I'll just stick with the RRA block.  Then I know if I have any problems I have a reputable company to call for service.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#15]
biggun1,
    I just tried calling -- still to early out there. I got a fellow from the shop who said he believed John had shipped some units but he told me to call back in an hour and talk to John direct about it.

about an hour has gone by;
I just talked to John and he said [u]about[/u] 30 units went out last week and they were shipping more of the first 100 orders today. No idea as to who them went to.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#16]
AR-fan,

Thanks for the reply.  I know I'm bitchy about this, but I was so excited when I first heard about them, and ever since it's been one delay after another.  

I think for most of us here at least it has gotten to the point where if these blocks aren't absolutely the best ever people will be having fits over it.

I just need to chomp at the bit and see how everyone likes them.  I don't start my new job til Sept. 02 so I can't buy my block until mid-September anyhow.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anybody out there got there order yet? I talked to John two weeks ago and he said he was shipping Friday but I can`t figure out which Friday he is talking about.I`ve had my money sent for 2 months.I am SICK & TIRED of hearing a bunch of BULLSHIT!!!!!! If I ever get the damn thing you can bet your ass I wont buy nothin else from that place.If they don`t have the things ready they should just tell us and stop lying about it.If he shipped 30 of them friday somebody should have got one by now.I for one am begining to think they are crooked as HELL.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#18]
No, it's not "In hand" yet but.....Out of the blue a guy from Hy-Tech named Chad (I think) just called me at work and told me he was shipping my mag block today via UPS ground. He said he would e-mail me the tracking number also. On a side note he mentioned that I somehow over paid by $2....he's putting that in the box too. I realize it's only $2, but hey...he could've said nothing and kept it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Last night John from VM Hy-Tech called me to say that the magblock shipped yesterday, and he provided a tracking number.  

I will get it by Tuesday I think.

MG
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I also got a call from John yesterday with a tracking no. Maybe tuesday will be our lucky day.I hope this thing is worth the hassle.I will give a report on how it works as soon as it comes in .
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#21]
My magblock will come before my RRA upper.  I thought for sure I'd have that by now.  This whole project has been about waiting.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I can damn near smell the burnt powder....I can't wait. He didn't have my tracking number when he called, but he said he would e-mail me it...I hope I get mine first...haha. God, I hope it's not a disapointment.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#23]
[b][Herman Munster voice and jumping up and down][size=4][blue] DARN-DARN-DARN-DARN-DARN[/blue][/size=4][/Herman Munster voice and jumping up and down]......
I had to ask the receiving FFL to hold mine till I get back from TN before he sends it.... if it does show up----- I've been waiting since Mar-12,,,, and your lucky fellas are going to get yours before me....More of that Herman Munster rant..... see how you are.  

I better see POSITIVE remarks if I manage to find a computer while I'm away.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My magblock will come before my RRA upper.  I thought for sure I'd have that by now.  This whole project has been about waiting.
View Quote

LOL! I know what you mean. I haven't been sweating the mag block 'cause I'm still waiting for my RR upper from SableCo, it's been six weeks today. ....."sigh"

I hate waiting, but I've waited alot longer for custom knives so.......... I wait.

Joe
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 6:24:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I called Sable CO yesterday to get an update.  I guess RRA only lets them pick up uppers on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  They claim mine will be ready to ship Tuesday, but only able to pick up two days out of the week?  

This is a great excuse for not knowing an answer.  I'm going to use it myself.

MG
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Do I get a prize for a 4 page thread?

[peep]
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, you get a cookie. Congratulations!
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Dude,
   Give it time, this thread is going to go WAY over 4 pages. :D

Joe
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Someone posted a review on subguns:

[url]http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/mgmsg.cgi?read=297650[/url]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:19:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I read the report and realized I didn't imagine that some of the Uzi mags I have wouldn't easily fit in my home-made magwell adapter. The person in the report found the same thing I did, that the IMI mags slide in like they were greased and the others (after-market)would bind about halfway -- although they would finally go in with a little extra push in mine. I think the front-to-back size on some of the after-market mags is a bit greater than IMI's.

By the way, take note of the comment about using the mag-catch on the adapter. The person said it had to be operated for inserting also!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I read that too...the insertion thing...that's not too wonderful. Maybe it's just a matter of rounding and edge on the bottom side of the mag catch or something easy. I don't want to have to hit the button to put a mag in!

P.S...I checked my tracking number this morning...It's in Salt Lake City..it should be here wednesday....Yipee!

Also...I already have my upper ready to roll...nah, nah, nah boo-boo....LOL (Damn, I've never had to spell that before)
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#32]
HK_DUDE,
   please let us know if that mag catch on the adapter can be "Adjusted" for easy insertion.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#33]
OOHHHHH...."Easy insertion" (Homer Simpson drooling voice) O.K...sorry, Ummm yes, you bet I will give a detailed post when it comes. I will try get out a shoot it a little right away too...I'm working overtime right now, so it's not as easy...I usually do my test firing at lunch time. After reading that other post that the link was for, I hope my South African (I think) Uzi mags will function o.k. They were purchased from DSA and have S6, S7 or whatever marked on the bottom near the floorplate. They worked good in my Uzi anyway. I've been using dual cut 40 rounders in my RRA setup, but they were too fat to go into my Uzi.

We'll see, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I read the report and realized I didn't imagine that some of the Uzi mags I have wouldn't easily fit in my home-made magwell adapter. The person in the report found the same thing I did, that the IMI mags slide in like they were greased and the others (after-market)would bind about halfway -- although they would finally go in with a little extra push in mine. I think the front-to-back size on some of the after-market mags is a bit greater than IMI's.

By the way, take note of the comment about using the mag-catch on the adapter. The person said it had to be operated for inserting also!
View Quote

IMI ok, Vector mags OK 25, 32, 40's, MECGAR (spelling) .010 wide and .015 long.  These are blued steel, thay are nice and thick material just too big. Snug in UZI SMG and too tight in Colt mag block and ASA mag block.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#35]
I got it just now!

Yippie.  Now if I only had my upper...

MG
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#36]
TELL US ABOUT IT........

Fit and finish, color (black, purple-ish,)heavy, light? Try any mags in it?

More info.....

Thank you.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Just got a call from Tina at SOG about the magwell adapter. They haven't put it back up on the website, but they said that they are back in stock as of today 07/29/2003.

In case anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#38]
I played around with the magwell adapter last night.  the Finish was excellent.  If you have a purple Bushy, it won't match.  

Not a hint of purple on the VM Hytech adapter.

I have two lowers to try it in, a Bushmaster and a RRA.  The adapter was extremely tight in the Bushmaster.  After insertion, it was extremely difficult to remove.  I cleaned the magwell and adapter, oiled it, and it was still tight.  I suppose you could get it to fit better if you froze the adapter and put the lower in the hot sun, but why go through that kind of trouble?

The adapter fit much better in my RRA lower.  Since the 9mm upper will be a RRA, I might as well use those two together.

I have 4 south african parkarized UZI mags to use, and all but one fit.  The one that didn't had to be forced in and out.  

All mags clicked into place, however I could pull all of them out WITHOUT pushing the adapter mag release button.  

The release button is awkward at best.  I have no problem with the location, but it needs a better fulcrum.  And some texturing to distinguish itself from the rest of the adapter.

Mags pulling out without using the release button is bothersome.  I discovered this when trying to get the one UZI mag out.  I was surprised, so I tried it with the rest of them.  

Someone else try this please, and report back.

Now I just need to shoot with the adapter, and my life will be complete...

MG
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#39]
You say that the mags come out without pushing the mag release.....the other dude from the link has to push the mag release to unsert and extract the mag.....I hope this differences are due to different mags...UPS is supposed to delivery mine by the end of the day...right to work, so I'll post what I find out. I brought 1 25rd SA mag to work to try it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#40]
I have it in hand. It looks very well made. Very nice black color. I don't have my gun at work...they frown on that...so I can't say how it fits in my lower or how it dry cycles. I have one SA gray parked 25rd mag. It slides in tight, not too tight though. The first time I slid it in I had to work the mag catch, I don't have to anymore. The catch puts a nice scratch in the mag, but who cares. Once the mag is in, I can't pull mine out without pushing the button, that's a plus. The mag release button does seem akward...maybe it may seem more natural once it is in the weapon.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I got mine and tried it out.I have about 40 Isralie mags & all of them fit. I tried some of the 32rd mags & some fit & some don`t.It feeds great but the mag catch Don`t work so good.You can pull the mags out without using the release.It fits all of my guns pretty good.I ain`t that crazy about the way the mag release works.I think it is a good made block but has a few bugs that need fixin.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:47:25 AM EDT
[#42]
I got it home last night and checked a few more things. It fit in my Bushy lower, it was tight, but that means it will never fall out if I accidently hit the standard AR mag release. I tried 5 south african DSA mags and only 1 fit. It looks like I need to go mag shopping. The 1 that actually fit wouldn't come out unless you hit the mag release, this is good. I dry cycled it with the mag that fit and it feed and extracted good. For some reason the bolt catch (when used manually) would hold the bolt back, but it would fall with any jarring of the rifle...I could litely smack the butt of the stock and the bolt would slam shut??????

The mag catch is very akward!...If it stuck out further it migh be easier to use, but then pose the threat of accidently being dropped.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 4:21:57 AM EDT
[#43]
The bolt-catch releasing with any jarring is not too uncommon. I noticed it more in Police rifles that have heavy use. you could get the bolt to close with just some light shaking.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Maybe it was like that before too, but I just didn't notice.

So, I assume I need to buy a bunch of IMI mags now, huh? I wonder if it would be possible to make the openning a little bigger, probably not that easy to do a nice job.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:17:28 AM EDT
[#45]
HK_DUDE,
    Do you have any old Uzi type mags that don't fit (a little too tight) and are also a little beat up? If you have a caliper measure the mag and see if it's  too large in one direction (front to back or side to side) and give it a [u]little[/u] squeeze in a vise -- just a little at a time. You might find that some of the cheaper mags can be made to fit!
edit to add;
cover the jaws on the vise with some wood or other hard material -- no need to have nasty jaw marks on the mags.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#46]
They are all new, but I will give it a try anyway. A couple got real tight when they were only about an inch from the mag catch, so that may work...beats buying new mags. I may get a few new IMI 20 rounders still, just because I like the looks of the short mag and this mag block. Mine's only semi-auto too, so 20s aren't bad.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Just received mine, and so far I'm pretty pleased. Fit and finish appear excellent.

Mine fit very tight into my Colt SP1 lower. No rattling at all, and I noticed one thing. It was easy to slide in with the upper seperated, and the AR mag button depressed, but once the upper was closed, it was impossible to release the block with the AR's mag button. This is a good thing since it will be unlikely to accidently drop the magblock and all! Once you opened the upper again, it came out easily.

I have four UZI mags, 2-25 and 2-32, all fit snugly and securely. I did have to depress the button to insert the mags, BUT they would not pull out without depressing it also. The catch inside appears wedge shaped and I think if you tried to round it that it may effect the security of the mag catch itself. :(  
Mines a plinker so I have no problem with the catch as it is, I won't be doing any tactical mag changes.

My only complaint is the mag button itself. I don't mind the position so much, I can grab the mag with my thumb & three fingers and depress the button with my index finger. I just wish the button was raised just a tad and checkered, that's all. I can probably have my gunsmith fix something up.

So far, so good. Mine seems to be a keeper, but the proof is in the shooting and I'm still waiting for my frigging RR Upper. :(

Joe
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 3:36:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Me again.....I now can fit 2 of my 5 25rd SA mags in the block. Maybe I wasn't giving it a good effort before, but for some reason my mags do come out without hitting the button now. I found my 2 IMI 25rd last night too, they are narrower, so the go in easier, but that also means they pull out easier without using the button. I will shoot this weekend.

I second the need for a raised, checkered button!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Took my Uzi mag adaptoer out this weekend to try it.

Used it in an OLY lower with a Colt upper.

At first I thought it was a tight fit. Till I shot a few rounds. then things got ugly. It hadn't inserted completely. Hadn't completely caught the mag release. Only way I found to do that was to insert with the upper off.

Bolt release catch jammed on the back part of the adaptor.

Too many bees buzzing around where I was to try any metal work. Not to mention that I would probably be more like Tim Taylor trying that!!

Mine definately will need some fine tuning to get running correctly.

Did have the problem with the aftermarket mags binding. Texaco (Star)mags worked well. Did the dry insertion and removal before hitting the field to find the ones that worked best.

Maybe someone else will know how to get this to work better.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#50]
I shot mine real quick this weekend. I used 2 fully loaded 25 rd south african mags and 2 25 rd partially loaded dual cut (from RRA) IMI star of david mags. They all shot flawlessy and didn't fall or get blown out of the mag well. I have decided to sell my RRA block. I really like this one now.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top