Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2002 2:07:05 PM EDT
I just took my RRA 9mm upper out for the first time and shot it a little.
It came from Pete-in-NH and I got a pretty decent deal and typically great service.

My setup is thus:
Colt telestock (NOT ribbed for her pleasure).
RRA 9mm carbine buffer
Sendra lower (full auto if it matters)
RRA 1 piece magwell block
2 DSA $11 UZI mags that were caveman converted with a stone axe.  One has the mag catch slot JB Welded up because it was cut too far up.

The location (up/down) of the mag block affects reliability.  The butchered (JB Welded) mag worked suprisingly well.

I think the reloads are nowhere near hot enough.  The primers weren't flattened at all and it ran pretty slow.  I had numerous jams that looked like a failure to eject.  It looks like what was happening was that the action wasn't getting blown open enough and the empty wasn't getting kicked out.  The ones that did get kicked out dropped right beside me.  The Reg. Bolt UZI I had threw brass farther than this thing.

The other type of malfunction that I was getting was a feeding problem off of the left feed lip of both mags but more with the butchered mag. That was after I had reinserted the mag well and tightened it down in a higher position.

All in all, if it was going to have problems, these are the type that I'd want it to have.  
I don't think the failure to extract/eject problems were due to the RRA stuff, I'm pretty sure it was my crappy reloads the caused the majority of my failures.

Next, hacking a 1 piece RRA magwell adapter for Sten mags!

Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You won't be sorry with the sten modification. The stens are cheap, you can do them yourself and if it gets messed up just pitch it and do another. The picture is my RRA 9mm with a 20 round mag (I shortened a sten) for shooting at the range.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as your 9mm reloads are doing 1100 fps, they should cycle well in your upper.

I have some 1000-1100 fps 4.5 grains of Universal and 115 grain MOntana Gold JHP loads that I use for target work with my Glocks and P7s and they shoot just as well as my Federal 124 adn 147 +P Hydrashoks I got compiments of a friendly Seattle DEA agent.  ;)
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:22:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I was just wondering if you really wanted to cut up the RRA magwell adapter. The RRA has a nice dual pin retaining device in the front but nothing in the back to hold the rear in place. You might want to think about getting the Brownell's 2 piece magblock because it's already set up for both pieces to lock in place.
Since the brownell's is already a 2 piece, it's also easier to modify the dimensions so the sten will fit, and if you keep the RRA mag adapter you can still use Uzis and even Colts if you win the lottery (while your modifying the Brownell's). Just my 2 cents.

I edited to ask;
Do you run this full auto or semi?
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was just wondering if you really wanted to cut up the RRA magwell adapter. The RRA has a nice dual pin retaining device in the front but nothing in the back to hold the rear in place. You might want to think about getting the Brownell's 2 piece magblock because it's already set up for both pieces to lock in place.
Since the brownell's is already a 2 piece, it's also easier to modify the dimensions so the sten will fit, and if you keep the RRA mag adapter you can still use Uzis and even Colts if you win the lottery (while your modifying the Brownell's). Just my 2 cents.

I edited to ask;
Do you run this full auto or semi?

I ran it both.

I'm not not not putting anything in my mag well that pushes a screw out into the receiver metal.  My lower is worth too much money.  If it were a normal Title I lower I would.

The retaining mechanism of the RRA adapter is exactly why I'm going to hack it up.  

The Sten mags are a little wide in the back for the RRA adapter.  If I remove the right side of the RRA adapter, the Sten mag should fit.  Or, if I thin down the back 0.25" on each side of the Sten mag it looks like it will fit the RRA adapter.
Thinning down the front part of the RRA adapter to .475" might prove to be a little bit difficult, but I'll have access to a very well stocked machine shop for a couple of days next week.  We'll see how it comes out.  One of my relatives is a very clever machinist.
While I'm at it the barrel needs to be cut to it's proper 10.5" length.  

I replaced the mag catch today and my nasty hacked up UZI mags sit several thousandths higher and lock up much more positively.  We'll see how they shoot when I get back from MO.

[RANT]
WTF is wrong with MO?   Aren't people adult enough to buy a handgun without a permit and own machineguns without a damned C&R license?  If I move back there I'm going to have to get a C&R that I don't want just to take my M16 with me.  I have to have one just to visit with it!  This CLEO signoff with NFA is bullshit.  Treating machineguns differently than any other firearm is bullshit.  So is this damned mag ban!  I shouldn't have to do all this hacking and slashing just to get some cheap hi-caps.
[/RANT]
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 3:08:19 AM EDT
[#5]
J_E_D,
     Let us know how the mod on the RRA mag-block works. Most of us don't have easy access to a machine shop. At one time a fellow named MedicMike said he could build the 2-piece blocks with those push-pins in both halves if people were willing to pay a little extra. Seems MedicMike had some personal problems to take care of and has not had the chance to start making any yet. Maybe your relative can do this type mod if it looks like keeping it a 1-piece won't work. Best of luck!
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Medimcike is still around. Got my personal life squared away but don't have a shop set up yet. Hope to start construction before winter sets in. Will keep you all posted. Still shooting the RRA with my prototype blocks with good results.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey, good to see you're still with us! I sure could use one of those magblock sets when you get started. Is there a possibility you could do the push-pins in both pieces? I've seen more and more people interested in the sten mag conversion but, like J_E_D,  a lot of them don't want the set screws digging into their magwells. I just got my setup together and working but it's kind of funky.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
You won't put divot's in your $5000 machinegun inside of the mag housing, but you will run $11 mags which were never designed to function in that gun in the first place.

Just pop for 4 factory Colt mags. They work the best.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 6:38:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You won't put divot's in your $5000 machinegun inside of the mag housing, but you will run $11 mags which were never designed to function in that gun in the first place.

Just pop for 4 factory Colt mags. They work the best.

Not too long ago I got to shoot a LEO Colt 9mm carbine with LEO 32 round mags.  There were some visible differences between UZI mags and the Colt mags.
The most visible difference was in the feed lips and follower.  

I agree with your statement about $11 UZI mags in a Colt-pattern 9mm setup.  It seems to be functional but less than optimum.

As I recall, several of the early Colt mags that I saw had the same feed lip and follower design as IMI mags.

I'm not shelling out $100+ for mags that should cost no more than $25 retail.  It ain't happening.  Besides, doing the hack job on the mag well adapter is kind of entertaining.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#10]
So, is anybody up to modifying the Colt pattern block for use w/Sten mags as a regular sales item?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top