Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2017 8:40:19 AM EDT
Pig hunting last week.  I carry my rifle in an Eberlestock X1 with the scabbard on the back.  I put the magazines in my pocket and the gun is clear since the muzzel is in an inconvenient position..  
See the old piggie poo's about 200 out, closer than I expected, no wind.  S L O W L Y open action, magazine inserted, S L O W L Y ease action forward.

CLICK, repeat, CLICK.

Rack one in the chamber the old fashioned way.
Piggies leave.

Is there a solution for this?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Load your damn rifle when you first arrive at your hunting area. Problem solved.

Carry it with a sling if you don't want to just hold it in your hands alone and are uncomfortable with the the way it rides in your pack.

If the common sense method doesn't  work, you can usually slowly let it forward and use the forward assist(only thing you'd ever use it for) or the bolt carrier scallop to push it all the way into battery.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#3]
You have to make sure the carrier goes all the way forward and fully rotates the bolt.  If it's not fully closed, the firing pin can't reach the primer.  Load your gun before you head to the stand, put the safety on and take it off when your ready to fire.

Alternatively, use the forward assist.  Sometimes pushing on the carrier through the ejection port can close it, but sometimes it requires more pressure than you can apply.  Newer actions tend to be tighter and harder to push by hand.  Larger (308) actions also tend to be difficult to close without a forward assist.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Your bolt did not close fully and the hammer was blocked from striking the firing pin. The FA may or may not allow you to fully close the bolt. I just built a grendel with a tight chamber. The bolt was not fully closing and beating the FA didn't help. If you have had no issues then the FA would probably work if you don't want to just load your rifle and put it on safe...

I had similar issue. I took my son to hunt coyotes. Ground was a little wet and it was dark, we had to walk down to a pasture. I decided not to load the rifles in case we slipped. Got down, set the guns down and shined a light across the field to see two coyotes trotting up the far edge of the field. Couldn't get down, loaded and ready to shoot before they trotted up into the woods.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Load your damn rifle when you first arrive at your hunting area. Problem solved.

Carry it with a sling if you don't want to just hold it in your hands alone and are uncomfortable with the the way it rides in your pack.

If the common sense method doesn't  work, you can usually slowly let it forward and use the forward assist(only thing you'd ever use it for) or the bolt carrier scallop to push it all the way into battery.
View Quote
Yup, +1
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Forward assist.
View Quote
This, or push the carrier forward.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]
An auto loading weapon uses the inertia of the bolt/carrier to achieve battery. You can't remove all inertia and rely on spring pressure alone to load and achieve battery. Reliably.

Load the weapon before your target presents itself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Push the carrier forward through the ejection port, or by pulling the rear receiver pin and tipping the upper open and pushing on the rear of the carrier.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#10]
This is the only reason I have ever had to use a forward assist.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:01:45 AM EDT
[#11]
slow and quiet charging of the gun is the only time ive ever used a forward assist.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pig hunting last week.  I carry my rifle in an Eberlestock X1 with the scabbard on the back.  I put the magazines in my pocket and the gun is clear since the muzzel is in an inconvenient position..  
See the old piggie poo's about 200 out, closer than I expected, no wind.  S L O W L Y open action, magazine inserted, S L O W L Y ease action forward.

CLICK, repeat, CLICK.

Piggies leave.

View Quote

yes the forward assist... we were taught in basic how to load a round silently the last step is to tap the FA 3 times. to fully seat the bolt.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Push the carrier forward through the ejection port, or by pulling the rear receiver pin and tipping the upper open and pushing on the rear of the carrier.
View Quote
This is for non military trained individuals. I'd like to run this method past my old Drill Instructor.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#15]
The AR is pretty dependent on "slingshotting" that first round into the chamber on a fresh mag. You have the mag's spring pressure working against you when the mag is full.

The way to get around that and chamber a round silently, as previously stated, is to do it slowly as you did, then hit the forward assist until the bolt is locked, or push a thumb forward on the carrier until the bolt is locked.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#16]
use the forward assist to fully seat the bullet
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The AR is pretty dependent on "slingshotting" that first round into the chamber on a fresh mag.
View Quote
No, it isnt.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, it isnt.  
View Quote
Agreed. I was taught to lock the bolt to the rear, insert magazine, and then hit the bolt release. No problems with "riding the bolt" forward and not returning to full battery this way. Do it the same every time!
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Agreed. I was taught to lock the bolt to the rear, insert magazine, and then hit the bolt release. No problems with "riding the bolt" forward and not returning to full battery this way. Do it the same every time!
View Quote
It's fairly common, especially if your dealing with 30rounds in an aluminum magazine or a new bcg that hasn't broken in a little.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's fairly common, especially if your dealing with 30rounds in an aluminum magazine or a new bcg that hasn't broken in a little.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's fairly common? Fairly common to have a failure to return to battery? Not sure if I'm following what you are saying.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What's fairly common? Fairly common to have a failure to return to battery? Not sure if I'm following what you are saying.
View Quote
It's fairly common for the bolt to not fully rotate closed on a new rifle when dropped from the bolt hold open. It tends to be exacerbated by the first round in a fully loaded aluminum magazine. It can also be affected by whether or not the rifle is pointed up or down when the bolt is released.

On a used rifle it's a sign the spring is weak even though it may pass the length test.

ETA: It's even more common on new 308 and 6.5 builds. I've found a Sprinco Red spring has enough extra force to close it successfully when they're new.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's fairly common for the bolt to not fully rotate closed on a new rifle when dropped from the bolt hold open. It tends to be exacerbated by the first round in a fully loaded aluminum magazine. It can also be affected by whether or not the rifle is pointed up or down when the bolt is released.

On a used rifle it's a sign the spring is weak even though it may pass the length test.

ETA: It's even more common on new 308 and 6.5 builds. I've found a Sprinco Red spring has enough extra force to close it successfully when they're new.
View Quote
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I haven't run into this myself, but most of my range mags that I would use on a new rifle are pmags so that might be why.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I load to 28 on my 30s to alleviate these concerns.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I load to 28 on my 30s to alleviate these concerns.
View Quote
Same.  My issued rifle in Iraq couldn't load the first round without using the forward assist.  Spring passed the length test though so the armory wasn't going to fix it. Now I just download to 28 in aluminum mags.  Full 30 in my pmags.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Are you using the proper buffer and spring?
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
As long as noise discipline is of no issue.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
As long as noise discipline is of no consequence.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
For the first couple years of owning ARs I only used Pmags. When I bought a bunch of Okay mags and first tried them out I thought they were garbage since I was having this issue. Arfcom set me straight though. After working the springs for a couple minutes each I never had the issue again.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This is for non military trained individuals. I'd like to run this method past my old Drill Instructor.
View Quote
Me too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yea good luck with that. Without the bolt in battery there is not enough clearance behind the carrier to tilt the upper.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

CLICK, repeat, CLICK.

Piggies leave.

View Quote

If you must carry your rifle in condition 4 until stumbling upon the wee little piggies, I suggest the following procedure:
1. Assume your preferred firing position
2. Insert Magazine
3. Tug to ensure mag is fully seated
4. Acquire sight picture
5. Remove safety (can do with with carrier locked back)
6. Aim at groceries
7. Release bolt
8. Immediately fire before the pigs react to sound of bolt closing
9. Try for quantity discount on pork
10. BBQ
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top