Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2017 8:55:38 PM EDT
After 33 years I finally shot an AR-15. If you remember me at all, I said I had backed away from the AR rifles back in 1984 when I fired a US Army M16A1, and the massive SPROINNNGG in my ear bothered the dog snot out of me. I moved to rifles that did not have recoil mechanisms in the stock. Yesterday a coworker had me try his very customized, (is there one that isn't?), AR-15 carbine. Not one hit of noise did I hear, and he said the buffer tobe and recoil spring weren't anything special.
Now if he had warned me about the release trigger, my aim might have been a little better! I thought the damn thing was doubling!
So, now I think I will probably start piecing one together while they are dirt cheap. PSA, here I come!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
JP silent capture spring if you hate the noise. To be honest other than my first rifle in 2004, which has had the buffer tube replaced I have never heard that noise you speak of.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
JP silent capture spring if you hate the noise. To be honest other than my first rifle in 2004, which has had the buffer tube replaced I have never heard that noise you speak of.
View Quote
It was notorious but not in a bad way, for almost all A1 and some A2 rifles that were worn. My issued M16A1 from OSUT did that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one AR with a fixed stock, and two with collapsible stocks, and the only one I hear that spring in, is the fixed stock.  Same in the service - the fixed stock rifles had the sound, the adjustable stocks it was either not there, or unnoticeable.  So from my albeit limited experience I would say if you don't like the sound of the spring, stay away from standard military style fixed stocks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Contact Site Staff to advertise. - Old_Painless
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top