Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:12:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought one for my BumpSAW.  I went from a reliable BumpSAW to immediate extraction and ejection issues.  Sharps sent me a new extractor and ejector parts but I haven't had time for another range trip.  If it fails trip two I'll swap back to my old bolt until it breaks.
View Quote
The Sharps bolt has a 4 coil extractor spring that is shorter than the 5 coil BCM Extractor Spring Upgrade kit. It also has the o-ring & No Damper(Black Insert). You should try the BCM Extractor Spring Upgrade Kit, Damage Industries AR15/M16 Extractor Spring Kit, or SprinCo Tactical Springs Xtra Power 5-Coil Extractor Springs, Mil-Spec Black Extractor Inserts, Mil-Spec Viton O-Rings]

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Sprinco is what I put in it. Sharps sent out a new extractor, ejector and springs for both. I used their replacement extractor and ejector but put in all Sprinco springs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I typically like BCM like most. I also have been using a Spikes Tactical bolt recently and it has been working really well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried the Sharps Relia-bolt?  It claims the design and coating keeps bolt cleaner for more reliable performance.

http://srcarms.com/wordpress/bolt-carrier/relia-bolt/
View Quote
I reciently bought a complete BCG with Robars NP3PLUS and an additional bolt also in NP3PLUS. Sharps has dropped the Robars coating and has adopted a Dale treatment. I haven't had the ability to go and try them, but I see no reason they shouldn't run great. The issues with Sharps was with their early runs and has a heat treatment program. They've since corrected it and I haven't heard anything negative. I chose Sharps because they were trying to better the parts and I like innovation. We'll see how they hold up this fall when the heat and monsoons let up.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]
PSA premium plus 10 pmags $129.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#6]
what about metal types?

TC and BCM use 158 carpenter steel
the nitrided ones at AIM are 9310 tool steel

whats what in this department?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
what about metal types?

TC and BCM use 158 carpenter steel
the nitrided ones at AIM are 9310 tool steel

whats what in this department?
View Quote
Both work fine as long as they're manufactured correctly.

Aeromet and S7 may offer some advantages.  I don't use 8620.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I have ToolCraft and BCM bolt carrier groups, T.C. is nitride, the BCM is perfectly .mil spec in every way. They both work flawlessly, the T.C. bolt is a little slicker and much more affordable though, and since nitride is a treatment that effects the surface of the metal, it wont chip, like a plating and wont wear like most coatings. ToolCraft doesn't do high pressure testing on their bolts to the best of my knowladge, but they have made BCG's for the U.S. military though so they know what they're doing. By making a bolt correctly but not H.P. testing it's actually stronger as the testing somewhat fatigues the metal. I wouldn't be to worried about it though, if you shoot enough ammo to break a properly made BCG, you have actually accomplished something.

View Quote
That truly has to be the highest quality per dollar ratio of them all. No it's not .mil spec but as some have become aware, that's a standard, non-mil spec can be worse OR BETTER!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I run Colt or FN BCGs.

Currently everything has a Colt with a Colt and an FN as a spare.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I run a Spikes BCG and it is top notch, in my experience Spikes is on par with the quality of BCM, I also use their 16in CHF barrels they are awesome.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Are Toolcraft bolts HPT?
Fulton Armory has some very nice bolts.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Not unless they say so.

Toolcraft bolts can be HPT tested or not. Since it costs them to HPT, it costs you more. If the seller doesn't say specifically that the bolt is HPT, they aren't.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Which is basically opposite of what I remember reading. Without HPT first, MPI is basically meaningless.

I agree that HPT reduces ultimate bolt life. But it is supposed to reveal catastrophic flaws that may otherwise be concealed until such time that the bolt has a catastrophic failure early in its life.

Bolts are a wear item. If we as shooters don't understand that then it will suck to be us on the first target-rich day of the Zombie Apocalypse when all our 20,000+ round bolts and extractors go TU. At least they have s lifetime warranty; that would really mean something if it was 'undead lifetime warranty'!

But since neither of us is a metallurgist it really doesn't matter. And it further doesn't matter because OP never really defined what best is.
View Quote
Batch HPT tested and every one MPI'd is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:I agree that HPT reduces ultimate bolt life.
View Quote
I would like to see some actual proof that this is the case.

While I trust some of the manufacturers that state they do not HPT because they feel it does not help, I have yet to see any actual data to support that claim.

The military, which goes through more bolts than anybody, and spends more money on them as a result, has yet to note any life reduction in life that would compensate for the reduced cost.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I run Colt or FN BCGs.

Currently everything has a Colt with a Colt and an FN as a spare.
View Quote
I do the same thing, I mostly use & keep spare Colt Bolts/carriers, when they were everywhere & cheap i purchased many. lately I have used a couple of Young Chrome carriers & they seem to be holding up well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#17]
why has no one mentioned JPs Enhanced bolt and Full Mass carrier? i have one but only about 1000 rounds down range. No issues. i love the design specs of LMT enhanced bolt. i had one of those also years ago. no issues but i like common parts. would love to hear any info on JP
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
since we are in the salad days of AR parts I want to get about  6 spare bolts who makes the best bolt available?

I was looking at the AIM surplus nitrited 9310 bolt but if there was something better than that i would like to know.
View Quote

Pretty much all of them are better. That's like the lowest spec bolt that is not total crap.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you very much to those referring our site.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top