Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/15/2017 10:58:07 AM EDT
since we are in the salad days of AR parts I want to get about  6 spare bolts who makes the best bolt available?

I was looking at the AIM surplus nitrited 9310 bolt but if there was something better than that i would like to know.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The answer will be subjective at best. Alot of vendors do not manufacturer their bolt that they sell.

That being said, Toolcraft /Colt/LMT are tops, imo.

The TC black nitride are amazing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Add BCM to the list.

As stated above, they don't make/machine their bolts, but whoever does (Toolcraft?) does a good job (re: "Filthy 14").
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Add BCM to the list.

As stated above, they don't make/machine their bolts, but whoever does (Toolcraft?) does a good job (re: "Filthy 14").
View Quote
+1 on BCM.  My next AR will be from them. Love that article.

Filthy 14
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Any true milspec bolt, Colt, FN, BCM, etc..
I prefer Colt due to their proven durability & availability back in the day.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I buy BCM bolts.  BCM parts seem to just keep working. If I had a reliable source for NEW Colt bolts I wouldn't hesitate to use them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#6]
how does one actually find a toolcraft Bolt?

i know there carriers have a cage code on them but any markings on the bolts?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
how does one actually find a toolcraft Bolt?

i know there carriers have a cage code on them but any markings on the bolts?
View Quote
Not all TC carriers are cage marked.

I bought 3 off the EE. ( Bolts only.)

PSA premium bolts are damn good also. TC makes the carriers, no idea on the bolts but they are solid.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Check this out.

AO Link
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:40:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I buy BCM bolts.  BCM parts seem to just keep working. If I had a reliable source for NEW Colt bolts I wouldn't hesitate to use them.
View Quote
There's an "outfit" on Gun Broker that appears to be parting out Colts and has pretty good prices on new Colt 6920 (not expanse; but they have those as well) bolts.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There's an "outfit" on Gun Broker that appears to be parting out Colts and has pretty good prices on new Colt 6920 (not expanse; but they have those as well) bolts.
View Quote
I know of a vendor for new factory Colt bolts also. They are asking  $99/each.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#13]
LMT Enhanced bolt.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
They're not 35% better or more valuable than a BCM bolt.

I think that price is an example of profiteering.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They're not 35% better or more valuable than a BCM bolt.

I think that price is an example of profiteering.
View Quote
Agreed. But when you source components not typically available to the masses,  I guess you can do that.

I paid less for my Colt bcgs on the EE than BCM pricing.

Either is gtg , imo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Best how? Can we turn this into a "tested vs untested" thread, or will it stay a 'prettiest finish" contest? Or are you really just looking for something cheap? Because all of those can be valid questions with different valid answers.

Sionics HPT/MPI NP3 bolts are nice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LMT Enhanced bolt.
View Quote
This.  Almost everything else is a copy of a mil spec bolt.

Sharps has an interesting design but they had QC issues for awhile.  I recently picked one up to try in my BumpSAW.  Guess I'll see how it holds up.  Harison made some design changes to make his bolts stronger, but he really turned me off with his small print saying CCI primers void the warranty.  LWRC made some enhanced bolts that got used by MARSOC for a short bit, but they've quit making them for 5.56.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
LMT Enhanced bolt.
View Quote
This bolt is set apart
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#19]
FWIW IMHO I use only and have experience with Colt and BCM bolts/carriers for social use.  I have used bolts and carriers made by Del-Ton, never had a problem running them very, very hard but given the current prices I tend to go with what I previously mentioned.  If it is going into a rifle that is for serious use I go Colt or BCM but that's just me.  I have no connection to the above companies I merely use some of their kit.  I hope this helps OP.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#20]
DD's bolts are tough!  

I've never had issues with either their 5.56 or 6.8 bolts.  

I run the utter hell out of some of their 5.56 bolts.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#21]
LMT Enhanced>>>JP Enhanced>ARP Enhanced>>>everything else.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#22]
At the lower cost end, I bought on sale the PSA Premium Full Auto Bolt 39339 - There $89.99 on their site:

PSA 5.56 Premium Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group - No Logo - Shot Peened HPT/MPI  Bolt Carpenter 158 (ToolCraft Carrier) - Chrome lined Carrier and Gas Key - Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications - Gas Key Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners - Gas Key Staked Per Mil-Spec - Tool Steel Extractor - Extractor Spring - Extractor O-ring Insert
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Add BCM to the list.

++1 on BCM.  The BCM BCG I put in my AR is the best I've ever used.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:00:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I second the Toolcraft bolts from monmouth or Wcarmory. I have 2 of the 1B1B6 phosphate bolts from wcarmory and one of the black nitrided bolts from monmouth. great bolts and ROCK solid...
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#26]
has anyone used the LMT enhanced bolt with the Fostech Echo trigger system? just want to know if there is any issue with the fact the Echo has its own specially clearanced bolt carrier included in the kit.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
has anyone used the LMT enhanced bolt with the Fostech Echo trigger system? just want to know if there is any issue with the fact the Echo has its own specially clearanced bolt carrier included in the kit.
View Quote
The bolt should be fine.  If you want to use the LMT carrier you will need to angle cut the M16 trip face slightly.

In this picture the top carrier is my factory echo carrier, the bottom carrier is an M16 carrier I cut to work with the echo.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I have become a fan recently of the Leitner Wise...little spendy but worth it IMO

Black Nitride Bolt Leitner Wise

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#29]
My favorite are BCM, but for the price, the TC Nitride at $79 or PSA Premium can't really be beat cost to quality. "Best" is really subjective. Aside from when I was in the Army, I've never seen a bolt shot out and that was a simple fix with an ejector spring. OP, all of your answers are in the Henderson Defense High Round Count Thread. Any of the bolts already mentioned, buy with confidence, you will not outshoot it.

Link
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#30]
whats the best in stock price people have found on the LMT enhanced bolt?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:14:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
since we are in the salad days of AR parts I want to get about  6 spare bolts who makes the best bolt available?

I was looking at the AIM surplus nitrited 9310 bolt but if there was something better than that i would like to know.
View Quote

ToolCraft NiB BCGs are on sale for 110-100 pretty good price.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:34:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Were I buying 6 bcg to stuff away (I actually did last year or something), I'd get phosphate because they have a much longer track record than any of the new surface treatments.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:46:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I'll add a vote for Toolcraft.

The PSA BCGs are also great for the money. I believe BFLV has been using them with decent success through some pretty high round counts.

I'm not a big fan of BCM. I do believe their BCGs are made by CMT. So, they should be fine.

Microbest is pretty well regarded, but they might be hard to find. At one point, maybe still, they made the BCGs for Smith and Wesson.

Really, there are plenty more good than bad out there. Keep a couple of spare springs and gas rings and you'll be set for a long time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Best how? Can we turn this into a "tested vs untested" thread, or will it stay a 'prettiest finish" contest? Or are you really just looking for something cheap? Because all of those can be valid questions with different valid answers.

Sionics HPT/MPI NP3 bolts are nice.
View Quote
Low plasticity roller ball burnishing of the rear of the lugs was shown to nearly double bolt life before lug shearing based on a RDECOM study via Lamda technologies.

That's what i want to see on the market, a mil spec bolt with a simple process proven to enhance the working life of the product.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Starting with the LMT enhanced bolt would be good for your application.

Plenty of great suggestions in this thread, including the BCM and Toolcraft.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:34:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
umm

Quoted:
This!  

These days, even Colt is available but that has not always been the case, not even close.  Used to be a total bitch trying to find Colt parts.  

Luckily Brownells stocks their shit now.  Ive bought quite a few Colt spare parts based on Battlefield Las Vegas's input.  I have several PSA Premium MPIs and BCM complete BCG's but now that Im actually buying individual parts for even more peace of mind I wanted to go with either Colt or JP.  Have stocked up on quite a few of each.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Best bang for the buck: I'd say Toolcraft hands down. Excellent quality for any price, but when you factor in price it's even better. No personal experience with PSA Premium, but from the BFV thread it would seem these would fall in the same category.

Best by tradition and/or reputation: Colt, BCM, DD, LMT

Possibly best overall, but also likely overpriced for any objective gains: LMT Enhanced. Perhaps there are other top end BCGs that fit here, but I'm not that familiar with them so they are omitted.

Here is the rub... is an LMT Enhanced going to have 3.5-4 times the life of a Toolcraft? No, probably not. Is a Colt, DD or BCM going to have 2 times the life of a TC? Most definitely not (barring anomalies). You can buy 2 Toolcraft Nitride BCGs for about the cost of a Colt, DD or BCM, and 3 to 4 for the cost of an LMT Enhanced.

From BFV, personal experience and just common sense, all bolts will break eventually. All available data seems to indicate that of the first two categories, lifespan will be similar (not counting individual BCGs with an extremely long or short life due to unknown factors). Perhaps the LMT Enhanced would extend beyond those others in lifespan, but is it going to be 3-4 times? With the TC lifetime "no questions asked" warranty, two TC BCGs for a single rifle would theoretically last you forever. If one breaks, swap in the spare while you wait for a replacement from TC.

That isn't to say "only buy TC." Just something to consider. Obviously if you depend on a weapon for your life regularly and you shoot it a lot, the cost of some improvement might be worth it. If you just want the absolute best without consideration for price, by all means, get what makes you happy (I would fall into that category on occasion). You can't really go wrong with any of the above, just thought looking at it purely from a cost to benefit point of view might be useful.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Remember that Toolcraft makes and sells different grades of bolts depending on what testing was performed. If HPT matters to you, then understand that not all Toolcraft bolts are HPT/MPI.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Remember that Toolcraft makes and sells different grades of bolts depending on what testing was performed. If HPT matters to you, then understand that not all Toolcraft bolts are HPT/MPI.
View Quote
That's true. For clarification, in this particular example I was referring to the Toolcraft Nitride BCGs from Monmouth Reloading. They are MPI tested only. I've certainly heard it argued that HPT is actually a negative and that it can reduce bolt life. Something along the lines of any bolt that passes MPI testing always passes HPT, thus making it unnecessary destructive testing. I believe it was Knight's Armament that made that argument. I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other. Anecdotally, I have several MPI only tested TC BCGs and I am very happy with their quality/durability.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:23:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Which is basically opposite of what I remember reading. Without HPT first, MPI is basically meaningless.

I agree that HPT reduces ultimate bolt life. But it is supposed to reveal catastrophic flaws that may otherwise be concealed until such time that the bolt has a catastrophic failure early in its life.

Bolts are a wear item. If we as shooters don't understand that then it will suck to be us on the first target-rich day of the Zombie Apocalypse when all our 20,000+ round bolts and extractors go TU. At least they have s lifetime warranty; that would really mean something if it was 'undead lifetime warranty'!

But since neither of us is a metallurgist it really doesn't matter. And it further doesn't matter because OP never really defined what best is.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:28:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Which is basically opposite of what I remember reading. Without HPT first, MPI is basically meaningless.

But since neither of us is a metallurgist it really doesn't matter. And it further doesn't matter because OP never really defined what best is.
View Quote
He's right. I remember that argument as well. if it passes MPI then it's more of a "just to be sure" test for HPT... still doesn't matter THAT much. what really matters is track records. The Monmouth and Wcarmory bolt's have stood up amazingly well, and that's really what matters. I have some of each and they work like a charm
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:25:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Bolts are a wear item. If we as shooters don't understand that then it will suck to be us on the first target-rich day of the Zombie Apocalypse when all our 20,000+ round bolts and extractors go TU. At least they have s lifetime warranty; that would really mean something if it was 'undead lifetime warranty'!

View Quote
Well, if you're planning for Z-Day, Monmouth has a special: 10 TC Nitride BCGs for $749! When you run out of ammo you can just start chucking BCGs at them, lol.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#43]
I use BCM and Toolcraft
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#44]
get what you pay for.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Has anyone tried the Sharps Relia-bolt?  It claims the design and coating keeps bolt cleaner for more reliable performance.

http://srcarms.com/wordpress/bolt-carrier/relia-bolt/
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
get what you pay for.
View Quote
Colt Bolt = $100
BCM Bolt = $80

I'll take the BCM . . .
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried the Sharps Relia-bolt?  It claims the design and coating keeps bolt cleaner for more reliable performance.

http://srcarms.com/wordpress/bolt-carrier/relia-bolt/
View Quote
I bought one for my BumpSAW.  I went from a reliable BumpSAW to immediate extraction and ejection issues.  Sharps sent me a new extractor and ejector parts but I haven't had time for another range trip.  If it fails trip two I'll swap back to my old bolt until it breaks.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I bought one for my BumpSAW.  I went from a reliable BumpSAW to immediate extraction and ejection issues.  Sharps sent me a new extractor and ejector parts but I haven't had time for another range trip.  If it fails trip two I'll swap back to my old bolt until it breaks.
View Quote
Well that's disappointing.  Thanks for the info.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top