Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2017 7:34:50 PM EDT
Hello all, after buying some handguns for fun that turned into ccw and home defense, then buying a shotgun, it seems I have all but a rifle. I realize I don't need it, but my primary use for it would Ben fun/range and of course home defense.

I have read a ton about ar15s, and my budget for a fully assembled (not interested in building) Ar15 is around $1000-1500. With my research, I found colt, FN, Daniel defense, and Bravo to be the most appealing to me. I love the idea of the colt le6920 but have read that accessories and the carbine length gzas system is less than desirable and that DD would be better, but I don't see quite as many sold or reviewed. FNs rifles are somewhat new to the market but I love colt/FN for their military ties.. so my question would be: what is the "best" ar15 for my price range?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Rock River Arms, Danials D, Colt all good. If your just going to plink around with it you will do fine with a Ruger or a Smith and wesson for half the price. $6-700 for the gun and some good optics make alot of sense.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello all, after buying some handguns for fun that turned into ccw and home defense, then buying a shotgun, it seems I have all but a rifle. I realize I don't need it, but my primary use for it would Ben fun/range and of course home defense.

I have read a ton about ar15s, and my budget for a fully assembled (not interested in building) Ar15 is around $1000-1500. With my research, I found colt, FN, Daniel defense, and Bravo to be the most appealing to me. I love the idea of the colt le6920 but have read that accessories and the carbine length gzas system is less than desirable and that DD would be better, but I don't see quite as many sold or reviewed. FNs rifles are somewhat new to the market but I love colt/FN for their military ties.. so my question would be: what is the "best" ar15 for my price range?
View Quote
 If it is for home defense you should not even consider POS value brands.  Frankly I don't understand why someone would buy a piece of junk just because it's cheap. Save your money and buy something proven. Colt 6920 is a good option as you mentioned. Colt also sells their "OEM" models which allow you to sorta 'customize' it yourself. Just to be forthright, I do not own a Colt, but their quality reputation speaks for itself.  FN is solid as well and Daniel Defense is an outstanding company. Not sure what you mean about not finding reviews. Daniel Defense makes outstanding firearms and barrels so you cannot go wrong with DD.  Maybe you can focus on the weapon and then accessorize later. by accessories do you mean optic, lights, hand stops? You can  get by with good irons a better than people think you can, so you don't have to break the bank accessorizing.  But the simple answer? 6920.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Like the poster above , don't cheap out. Lots of inexpensive AR's out there right now but you get what you pay for. What you're looking to spend for is reliability and you can get that for about 750. If you're looking for MOA or less accuracy you'll need to spend more. You may want to look for some value in a complete lower and put your real money into a well built upper.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I suggest a "Pin Together" project would be equivalent to a complete rifle with the quality where it needs to be.

Complete PSA lower with MagPul MOE furniture $149 shipped to your FFL

+

BCM Midlength Upper Receiver Groups $750-$1000

Depending on URG, you'll have $ left over for a good optic
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah I am not looking to value my way around my guns by any means. I plan to eventually put a red dot, a grip, and possibly look into a flashlight though I know they have their ups and downs with home defense use. When I said that part about reviews, I wasn't necessarily saying they don't get amazing reviews, they just get less reviews than colts and everyone seems to suggest a colt, but then go on to say how mid gas systems are better. Just trying to get real info from real ar owners and experts
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
For the brand names you posted, there is no "best", they are all very good rifles.    Carbine gas is fine, there are million and millions of carbine AR's that run perfectly.   In my opinion DD and Bravo are overpriced, Colt is almost overpriced, but Colt is still the standard everybody measures from.  I would suggest getting a Colt (or FN), and spending the rest of the budget on some training.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
For your price range:

BCM Reece 16
Daniel Defense DDM4v7 MLOK
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For your price range:

BCM Reece 16
Daniel Defense DDM4v7 MLOK
View Quote
I'd get the BCM with s 15" KMR-A rail. No question
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't get hung up on the gas system length, or split hairs when it comes to the big AR manufacturers. Colt, FN, Daniel, BCM, they are all going to be good options, and it's mostly going to come down to buying something with the rail config that you want.

Same goes for barrel material, BCG coating, etc.. You can over-analyze individual components to death, but any of those big names will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#10]
It doesn't matter too much what you buy....  you'll eventually catch the disease and own several.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Start with bcm.

End with bcm.

I love their stuff.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#12]
If your concern with Colt is adding accessories (vertical grip, light, etc.), take a look at the LE6920 SOCOM, SOCOM II, or the LE6940.  The SOCOMs will likely be a bit over your price point, but you should be able to find a NIB 6940 between $1,300 and $1,500, and you'll have a Colt.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#13]
http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Rifles/Colt-Combat-Unit-Carbine

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-moe-sl-mid-magpul-spec-series

DD makes good rifles but overpriced IMO. Most factory rifles are.

Don't discount "building" by buying complete upper and lower halves, there are a lot more options in upper halves than complete rifles.

Question for the OP, "best" at what? Best at prairie dog hunting will be radically different from best at bayou wild boar hunting. Best at 300 yard benchrest will be different than best at SHTF/home defense rifle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Some great comments here, I wish this site has up votes.   I totally agree with nvcapcop which is becoming a pattern along with unpleasant and gamma.  

All those choices have smaller deviance than choosing between a Ford or a Chevy, it's more the equivalent of already having chosen a car model and selecting the sub-model or options.  For home defense and occasional use, all work.   You probably won't fine tune what you want until after you buy it and find for instance you have lugging around a quad rail or like a particular sling attachment point better.   Then as bubalus said, you'll want more.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Start with bcm.

End with bcm.

I love their stuff.
View Quote
I am a fan of BCM, and this is great advice. However, you could get a Colt 6920 OEM 1 or 2, and have more money left for ammo, training, etc. I saw where you said what your budget was. A basic "no frills" BCM would be right at $1000. A Colt OEM can be had now for less than $750, and you don't have a bunch of crap laying around after you have switched all the original furniture out for what you really wanted to put on in the first place. More $$ saved. In my mind, the two rifles are equivalent. The Colt just costs a little less.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Find a lgs where you can handle and fire some different ARs.

That will decide for you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Find a lgs where you can handle and fire some different ARs.

That will decide for you.
View Quote
Probably the worst advice. Gunshops are the worst places to go in uninformed and actually learn anything useful about firearms. Unless "hey I held an AR15!!1!" is the education you are looking for.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Probably the worst advice. Gunshops are the worst places to go in uninformed and actually learn anything useful about firearms. Unless "hey I held an AR15!!1!" is the education you are looking for.
View Quote
Disagree.

Thought at one point I really wanted a Bushy ORC. Until I actually shot one of the turds.
Same with the DB - 15.

Research ahead of time is paramount, but hands on with that information is invaluable.

I'm lucky enough to have a lgs that has a wide range of brands and an indoor range to try them out.

Much better than buying based on half ass internet opinions.

I will agree that most gun shops will not be the place to learn anything useful though. Way too many "experts".
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
If your concern with Colt is adding accessories (vertical grip, light, etc.), take a look at the LE6920 SOCOM, SOCOM II, or the LE6940.  The SOCOMs will likely be a bit over your price point, but you should be able to find a NIB 6940 between $1,300 and $1,500, and you'll have a Colt.
I am confused here.

Why is accessories such as hassle for the Colt LE6920? I am looking into purchasing one but this is the first I have heard of the accessory concerns.

Are they hard to find? Are they over priced? Are their accessories all proprietary?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I suggest a "Pin Together" project would be equivalent to a complete rifle with the quality where it needs to be.

Complete PSA lower with MagPul MOE furniture $149 shipped to your FFL
+
BCM Midlength Upper Receiver Groups $750-$1000

Depending on URG, you'll have $ left over for a good optic
View Quote
I would agree with this except that I personally believe that people breaking into ARs should assemble their first lower as an educational introduction to the firearm. Presuming you have basic tools and can follow youtube directions, it isn't hard...but once you're done you'll have a fundamental understanding of how the controls function in your new rifle. I just think it's good knowledge to have right from the get-go. Not required by any means, just a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know why people justify an AR for home defense, it is my last choice.  You'll own all rounds leaving your house and into your neighbor's.  My HD is a bad dog and 13 little buddies in a Sig P224, love that little chubber.

Put some pattern controlling shells in your shotgun and consider yourself covered.

I went through the same process, which AR?  I hit all the gun stores, dry fired the snot out of them.

I had a semi list of required features, not chrome lined barrel, decent trigger, longish barrel.  Also I had to have held it and liked the ergonomics before I bought.  That ruled out a lot of guns that are not normally stocked, like KAC and (surprisingly in my area) BCM.

So look bro, I dropped my local Master Smith my Rem 700 .243, he sent that beauty back at 5.8 .lbs at only $2400.  I have $3200 in my AR and counting, who cares I'm creating what I want.

I didn't want to build a gun, yes it's more expensive, I'm happy with Mil Spec+
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:13:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't know why people justify an AR for home defense, it is my last choice.  You'll own all rounds leaving your house and into your neighbor's.
View Quote
Not everyone has a stick built house...or neighbors for that matter.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Unless you have a brick house, any round that has adequate penetration for terminal effects will likely exit the house (if you miss), regardless of what caliber it is, even your suggested shotgun. A shotgun with buckshot will also be putting out numerous projectiles with each shot.

High velocity rounds like the 223 will generally fragment and present less of a hazard at a distance beyond such a barrier.

The only safe backstop is your target. Use the firearm that you have the best chance of hitting the target with all rounds fired.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not suggesting shotguns, but there are people who's nearest neighbors live miles away. No reason not to use a 458 socom or 556 or whatever else in that kind of situation. If you're in an urban apt, 556 prolly wouldn't be a good idea. I don't use a rifle for HD personally, I'm just saying that in some situations it would be a good choice with minimal downside.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't know why people justify an AR for home defense, it is my last choice.  You'll own all rounds leaving your house and into your neighbor's.  My HD is a bad dog and 13 little buddies in a Sig P224, love that little chubber.

Put some pattern controlling shells in your shotgun and consider yourself covered.
View Quote
Some people have actually done research and testing to know the truth about this very topic. Some may have even constructed a box to hold all this truth.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok back on topic.

I would go with BCM, or DD in your price range.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:30:48 AM EDT
[#27]
If you gotta go pre-built the colt combat unit with centurion rail and mid length barrel for 1100-1200 is pretty nice stuff.

You could do worse than something likeThis orThis, with a lower from same company.  Would have $$ left for a quality red dot and light and sling.  Barrels made by FN, milspec forged receivers and bcgs.  They work.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Buy any Colt. They are the best and most reliable AR rifles in the world. All others are just wannabes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am confused here.

Why is accessories such as hassle for the Colt LE6920? I am looking into purchasing one but this is the first I have heard of the accessory concerns.

Are they hard to find? Are they over priced? Are their accessories all proprietary?
View Quote
No, no, and no.

With the OEM models you add yhe.jandguard and buttstock.  Typically this crowd changes them out from the stock parts, hence having extra parts lying around.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So look bro, I dropped my local Master Smith my Rem 700 .243, he sent that beauty back at 5.8 .lbs at only $2400.  I have $3200 in my AR and counting, who cares I'm creating what I want.

I didn't want to build a gun, yes it's more expensive, I'm happy with Mil Spec+
View Quote
Uhhhh.... What?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:I have $3200 in my AR and counting, who cares I'm creating what I want.
View Quote
For that it better have some combination of night vision, silencer, and grenade launcher...because you can get a truly 'operator ready' life-depends-on-it AR without such things for half that. I'm firmly in the "run whatever ya want" camp...but when it comes to helping out people new to the platform, I'm not sure how much "just give your 'smith $3200 and call it good" helps.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#32]
DD is the best fit and finish if thats your thing.  Colts are good and cheaper but quality control is bad.  No experience with FN.  I own 5 colts and 4 DDs if that helps.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#33]
DD is going to win the beauty contest
Colt/FN is a true milspec rifle manufacture and hold their value when the grabbers threaten our 2A rights
BCM is a solid assembler/company and builds great rifles from milspec parts.

Which is best for a static range to show off to everyone DD.

Which is the closest thing to a issued AR Colt or FN

Which is best for quality for the money BCM

Which would I grab if the sky was falling and all 4 where in front of me? What ever was loaded and closest to me because there isn't that big of a difference in quality in all of the companies listed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Check out CORE rifle systems.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#35]
The best deal for the money right now is the LWRC-DI for ~$1000 (OP's budget).
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuck Rock River Arm & Springfield. Get anything but those two corrupt political sellouts.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Colt LE6920 OEM 2 for $660
Centurion CMR MLOK 13" for $170
Larue MBT FOR $99
Aimpoint PRO for around $430

Total: $1,359 (leaves you some money left over for grips, sling, mags, etc.)
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:45:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Colt LE6920 OEM 2 for $660
Centurion CMR MLOK 13" for $170
Larue MBT FOR $99
View Quote
Which adds up to almost the cost of the Colt Combat Unit Carbine.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Which adds up to almost the cost of the Colt Combat Unit Carbine.
View Quote
A quick search on the LE6960 is around $1,095, which is a great deal. OP would just have to decide if mid length gas is worth the extra $200 or so. Lots of great options in today's market. Like mentioned above, the LWRC DI is hard to beat as well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Don't overlook the S&W M&P 15 MOE Mid Magpul.  It retains the fixed front base for ruggedness.  The barrel has a midlength gas port  location, 4150 CMV and the very desirable 5r rifling.  1:8 twist. Nitride treated.  Nice upgraded Magpul furniture.  Easy to further upgrade.  About $950 last time I checked.  Superb customer service with local dealers everywhere

Add a drop in Daniel Defense Omega 9.0 drop in midlength free float rail.  No need to remove anything except to snap out the handguard.  Two piece Omega slips in between the delta ring and front cap.  Yes, it is free float.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

For that it better have some combination of night vision, silencer, and grenade launcher...because you can get a truly 'operator ready' life-depends-on-it AR without such things for half that. I'm firmly in the "run whatever ya want" camp...but when it comes to helping out people new to the platform, I'm not sure how much "just give your 'smith $3200 and call it good" helps.
View Quote
Not really.  DDM4V11 Pro, G Extended, Mark 6. A tad less than a LaRue, Noeveske or KAC. But still in the cha-ching range for a basic rifle.  The smith comment was for a custom .243 700, not an AR.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Uhhhh.... What?
View Quote
I'm late to the party, but THIS.  What the heck was all that about? Spaz attack?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Colt 6920 OEM-1/OEM-2. Add the furniture you desire (aka save $$ not buying what you will replace). Use extra $$ for your optic/sling/light.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Colt 6920 OEM-1/OEM-2. Add the furniture you desire (aka save $ not buying what you will replace). Use extra $ for your optic/sling/light.
View Quote
/thread
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
/thread
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt 6920 OEM-1/OEM-2. Add the furniture you desire (aka save $ not buying what you will replace). Use extra $ for your optic/sling/light.
/thread
I just cannot believe you want to end the thread on that. Surely we should extol the virtues of PSA.  And Condor while we're at it.  Gee golly Gotu what on earth are you thinking??  Gosh Dangit!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#46]
BCM Jack Carbine or a Colt 6920.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Hey - New to this fourm. Check this out:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/40019/Firearms/Rifles/Colt/Colt+Mfg+LE6920-R+LE6920+Trooper+Semi-Automatic+223+Remington%2F5.56+NATO+16.1+3
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

/thread
View Quote
Agreed. Building may be a great option for the 2nd, 3rd, or 17th rifle but it makes no sense for a newcommer to build unless he is dead set on a pistol.

You can do tailor more things to your preferences and budget with a build, but you end up with an unsellable partsmaster in this market with no warranty.

Colts retain value better than most, have a warranty, and OEM gets you in on a budget for to tailor the weapon to your needs. It's like taking many advantages of building without losing the advantages of buying a complete rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top