BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Pursuit X1 with a laser, I swapped the handguard for a quad rail.  No legos yet.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Hello;
My name is Lee and I am from Texas, just joined and I am currently in the market for my first AR.  I can't wait to see what this website has to offer.  Build/Buy?  16"/SBR?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi!

Greg from Ohio here.  Brand new to the AR world, will be looking for hints, ideas, etc from you folks!

I got into the AR the lucky way... my local dealer/range had a free Black Friday drawing and I WON a Colt Expanse M4!!

First thing I did was put a rear sight on it and buy a couple of magazines.  My next step is to do some research and study to figure out what type of optic to put on it

Looking forward to some fun!

Gregoire
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Nick from South Carolina. I just built a PSA AR with a stainless free floating barrel and PSA lower with MOE LBK. I just strapped a Burris Droptine 4.5-14x42 scope to it and have been shooting center ever since
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#5]
New guy . Name is Ray from Wisconsin. Picked up my first AR a few weeks ago. havent ad a chance to do much wit it yet.  oping to get some nice weather so I can sight it in.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey,  Stan here. Finally decided to get an AR since I'm now retired. I've got AK's, SKS, FAL but no AR's. Already bought 10 GI mags from PSA. Plan on getting an AR in the next 6 months or so. Currently leaning towards a Colt 6920 with Magpul furniture.

C ya on the boards.

Stan
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#7]
D here from SC. Just moved here from MD, so now have the freedom to pursue this addiction without restrictions. Already have some parts on order to complete my first build. Going to jump in with an 80% lower and assorted parts. See you around.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Just joined, pouring thru threads to figure out where to go from here.  Just bought my first lower, stripped Anderson.  Wanting to make a paper puncher model.  Since it's my first build, not wanting to over board with expensive custome parts, but at least will go with another color other than black.  Plan to cerekote the lower first and build as I go along.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Hello from PA.  New to the AR platform and rifles in general, except for shot guns that is.  My firearms experience has focused on Glock and Sig Sauer hand guns.  Just purchased my first AR, a Springfield Saint, last week as a Christmas present from my wonderful Wife.  Scheduled to get it out to the range tomorrow with a good friend who is experienced and knowledgeable on AR's.  Based on the information I've already read on this site, gotta say I'm impressed and it appears to be a great community.  Thanks for welcoming me aboard.  Regards, TruthBalance
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 8:52:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BackCountryBlades] [#11]
Hello My name is Steve and I am stoked on my first AR15. I have always loved this platform and finally got one! Looking forward to learning from this site and also giving back when I can. Here is my rifle, its a Dimondback DB15 California compliant (yeah Cali sucks). I feel its a perfect beginner AR for me and I can't complain about the price because I traded two custom knives made by myself for this brand new gun.  Lost my AR virginity with rifle also lol. The rabbit hole is deep with this platform and am already looking forward to building my AR-10 80% lower I just bought. Nikon Coyote Special optics for now, proper AR scope rings coming in the mail now.

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#13]
New to the site. Was bugging RockHard13F and Jenzilla to teach me about ARs, and they showed me ARFCOM. No ARs as of yet, but there is not a doubt in my mind that I will soon come down with a bad case of BRD.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NamedNut] [#14]
Picked up 2 S&W M&P 15 Sport 2 for the Wife and I for Christmas. These are our first AR15s as well as my Wife's first gun. She has very limited firearm experience. I look forward to growing as a shooter with her.

I am aware her stance is way off, part of it was due to the surface we were standing on, part is due to lack of experience. She stayed standing and was hitting the target that was about 100' out, I would call it a successful day. I'm sure I am doing something "wrong" as well.

I went the M&P route as its a "cheap" way to get started and learn the platform. I will be building myself a gun in the future once I better understand whats out there and figure out how I want to maintain. This is my lab rat if you must put a name to it. My wife wants to do some sort of purple build, I'm thinking Duracoat, different rail and an optic of some sort... Time will tell.

Anyways, hope to get to know some of you and maybe shoot with you some day.

SW Washington (state)

Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not quite new to AR15.com.  I've been a member for a year, but thought it might be long overdue to do a formal introduction.  Name is Gene and my first AR15 was the classic Colt LE6920.  My 2nd AR was an LE6920 CMP-R.  Its been a long time dream of mine to put together such a versatile, high quality rifle.  My 1st AR build was a SPR Mod 1 of which took 2 years to build and slowly acquire parts from EE.  I've been on AR15.com almost everyday since I have become a member.   I'm really appreciative to have access to such a solid online resource.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Hello long time lurker. Finally decided to build my first AR. Been a avid bow hunter and bow competition. Otherwise been tinkering with milsurp rifles and M1a's.

Figure I will build a mk12 mod 0. Got the rifle put together, just need little stuff now. And I'm waiting to get to fifty posts so I can put pics up too....

Jon
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Hello everyone, I have been lurking on here for I don't know how long. I had forgotten I had registered a couple of years ago, may not have ever posted here, before. I  finally figured it out, that I was having trouble logging on because I was using the wrong email address. But I am good now.

I am not a big AR guy, but have owned, and shot several, and even built one lower. I have had a couple of older Bushmasters, still have a Bushmaster Dissapator upper on DPMS Lower I put together with a Rock River Parts kit, and I have a Colt Pencil Barrel AR, and  Danial Defense .556, and  I am still experimenting with scopes and  mounts on some of these, trying to keep them as light as possible, since I am just not much of a fan of packing around heavy guns.

I am currently getting interested in AR Pistols, Just bought a PSA .556 10-1/2 inch complete upper with a flash can already in it, and I am building a Lower for it, now. And I have a used 8" 300 Blackout on an Anderson Lower, but I am still needing to finish it off with sights, etc.

I have enjoyed being able to access all of the great info on here, which helps when trying to decide what to buy or build, etc. I will probably post more in the future.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Hi all,

I've been registered here for a little over two years, but I haven't posted yet. I've popped in an out here and there to read some posts and such. I'm not new to the platform, but I'm always open to learning something I don't know.

Stay safe, and watch your six
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:59:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Hi there,

My name is Jason and I live in Austin, TX.

I'm new to the site (just found the forum tonight), to the AR-15 platform and pretty much new to firearms in general (sort of).

I have some experience shooting various guns (military family) and I've taken the state's required Hunter's Education course with the firearm safety and minimal proficiency.

I have owned a Smith & Wesson .40 SDVE for about 3 years and mostly carry it when traveling between here and Lubbock or Galveston.  I have been to the range maybe 5 times with it.

I recently purchased a 12 gauge Maverick 88 shotgun and a S&W M&P 15 Sport II AR-15 and I have not ever shot either.  I live in a reasonably nice part of Austin and our apartment complex and the one across the streets as well as the surrounding neighborhoods have had an increase in home invasions and burglaries.  We both have disabling medical conditions such that any sort of "hand-to-hand" defense against an intruder would not be possible.  I figured the time was right to make sure we have protection.

My immediate goal is to learn as much as I can about the specifics of the AR (on this forum) and a better foundation knowledge of firearms all together.

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:02:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: X_UsaF] [#20]
Hi There,

My name is Billy and I live in Massachusetts,
I have been lurking for awhile and I am currently building my first AR15. I have all the parts just putting her together.

Just wanted to say hello.

Ill put some pictures up as soon as she's built.

Peace
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:46:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StL_Enjoys_Firearms] [#21]
Howdy.  I am in the same boat the guy above me.  Just waiting for a call from my FFL dealer so I can pick up my lower receiver.  After that I just have to put everything together.  I will post a pic as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:31:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Welcome guys.  Check the diy  forum for tips and tutorials on properly assembling your as.

Falarak has a great tutorial on it.

Txl
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Im jedd from new mexico...  i have been lurking quite a while but finally joined today.

Why?- possibility of signing up for the upcoming cola warrior.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:32:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoezillaTexas] [#24]
Hi there, I'm Joe from Texas, though currently in Arizona for the summer. I have several pistols and revolvers, but only one rifle, a Ruger 10/22. I do not have an AR yet, but am considering the Saint or the Mossberg MSR Recon as my first one. They are very similar. The Mossberg can be had for about $760 and the Saint for $825. I'll be getting one or the other when I return to Texas next month.

Joe
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Hello everyone. just joined.

I'm Ocho from Miami.

I want to get as much info a I can on an AR build. Never built one, but I am a compulsive tinkerer/modifier, so I feel building an AR would be a fun project.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Hello! I'm from Texas and relatively new to the shooting sports, having started late in middle age. Brand new to the site and new to ARs. I'm slowly gathering parts as funds allow for my first AR, which will also be my first build. Already have a stripped lower and complete upper, both from Stag Arms. Very informative and educational forum. Hope to learn more and contribute when I can.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey I'm relatively new to the site and guns in general. I was hoping if someone could point me in the right direction of which handgun, rifle, and shotgun I should purchase first for home defense. Thanks a lot for being a great community.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Hello all. Just wanted to thank you all for allowing me to join your ranks. I've been getting information off of here for quite some time now. I have handguns and shotguns but still new to the AR platform. Getting ready to take the plunge and buy my first one. A lot of good information here. I was ready to buy either the S&W sport 2 or the Ruger. I think I'm going to go with just buying a complete upper and a complete lower from Palmetto and putting it together myself. Looks like a way to get a nicer rifle it a heck of a lot better cost. Any tricks or anything I need to know about stuff on forgetting that won't come with these? Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions you all might have for me. I know I'm going to have a ton more questions but just wanted to say hello and get started.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Greetings from Missouri! My name is Pete and I’m pretty new to Arfcom but ive been building AR’s for about 8 years. I’ve sold a few and built some to keep. My wife says I’m obsessed, I just say I have awesome hobbies! I also CCW everyday and have for years. Missouri recently passed and enacted Constitutional Carry laws this year which has made CCW in our state more and more common.

Right now I have two AR builds in the safe, one is an Aero upper and lower (see pic) with a recently upgraded Geissele MK4 Super Modular Rail and the other is a spikes build. I couldn’t be more happy with my switch to mlok the lighter Geissele rail - and after using heavy quad rails for years I’m really impressed with the improvements. I may never buy a quad rail again…

Glad to be here and looking forward to learning more!

Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#33]
First post to the forum. Been wanting to build an AR for years and as of a month ago I made my first step to completing that goal by ordering a Spikes Tactical Honey Badger stripped lower. Hopefully pick up some accesories from the for sale section a long the way. Look forward to my stint here at arfcom.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#34]
new top the forum and AR's

picked up a new toy, S&W MP15, took off the bump stock and traded it for magpul accessories

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm a new person!   how do I make a picture for my profile?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Im also new to this site. I have been watching for a few years but figured im not getting any younger and I need to shoot more. Live in the Star Idaho area since moving from central Utah. If anyone would like to teach a old guy how to build an ar Let me know.
Thanks for all the information here, it is great stuff.
Steve
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Hello, I'm new  and my name is Danny and unfortunately  from CT. and late to the game but I'm finally looking into the AR platform and before I do anything I will be starting here.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:44:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#39]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:59:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CVOROADGLIDE110ANNIV] [#40]
I bought a complete AR15 a couple years ago, it's a Daniel Defense Ambush Arms 6.8SPCll, my question is if I want to go to another Caliber I just buy an upper right, I am new to this.

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Hi,

My name is Brent and I live in Wyoming and I am both new to the site and to AR 15's. I just bought my first one and am looking forward to learning about the in's and out's of them. I already have a bunch of questions on suggestions on a few things but I will do my best to research old threads on here to try to prevent asking stuff that has already been hashed out. I look forward to chatting with you all at some point.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:07:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DANGER_CLOSE_51] [#43]
New guy here, could of sworn that I posted an Intro a while back. Must of been a different Call Sign, Here goes.

91' to 97' USMC, Semper Fi! Did a lot of stupid and crazy shit with E 2/9, E 2/4, and SOI ITB West. West Pac 92' / UDP Oki 95'. Also some JTF6 Border stuff, PSD for an Ambassador (Not MSG), and Restore Hope.

Currently a Fed LEO but limited duty from a head on collision in 2008. Please don't read into this too much, just an Officer. Not ATF!

I used to post a lot on other sites, Xenophobe should know me from the Komifornistan GF.

I am a Beanerschnitzel from California and are getting older and grumpier.

I enjoy shooting Handgun Competition, we got away from IDPA at a local Non-Profit Training Range and came up with our own Rules. Also like Marksmanship / Tactical training.

San Jose Sharks Fan! Bayern M and Germany Fan! I also enjoy catching bass, cats, and trout!

I am a Firearms Instructor and Volunteer a lot of my time to training Civilians, 4H, Boy Scouts, Church Groups, LEO, and Local Military Reserve / Guard Units. 'Merica!

Thanks for your time, Laters!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#45]
How do u add photo like this so I don't have to post a link.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm new from the Midwest, dropping in to say hello. Have lurked for a while. Hoping to improve my fundamentals.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Hello to all my fellow AR15 enthusiasts!

My name is Jeremy I'm new to AR15.com. I've been a gun guy all my life, shot many different type of weapons/weapon systems. Born and raised in Denver Colorado and lived in many different states (FL, AL, TN, SC, NC, CA, NV, CO) while growing up (my dad is a retired Marine). Once I turned 18 I decided to enlist, I served 5 years in the Marines, stationed at Camp Pendleton 24 area as a Helicopter Mechanic (6114) and got out in 2005. Anyone here attached to HMLA 267 between 2001-05? Anyway, I've bought many weapons in my life but this is my first build and decided to go the recce route. I'm about to start on my second build which is going to be a M16A2 replica. I was issued an M16A2 while in boot camp and when I entered the FMF. To be honest when I first saw the M16A2 I thought it was the ugliest rifle ever made, but as time went on you realize how cool the M16A2 really is and I do miss it very much.

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/jpdebell82/media/IMG_2773_zpsymnsg5zd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/jpdebell82/media/IMG_2770_zps56o8kbws.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/jpdebell82/media/IMG_2772_zpsgdvbfgml.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/jpdebell82/media/IMG_2771_zpsovvfrvw6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Lantac Raven upper/lower
ARMS 58M M-L SIR System
Magpul CTR
PSA FN 16" CHF Nitride Treated Barrel
BCM BCG
LaRue 2 Stage Trigger
Gisselle Buffer and Spring
Troy Flip up BUIS
Lantac Dragon Muzzle Break
Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24, Magnifier, SPARC AR

As of right now I have my Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 mounted on my AR not my SPARC AR. Thanks for looking and I'll see you all on the forums.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SemperFi_4ever:
Hello to all my fellow AR15 enthusiasts!

My name is Jeremy I'm new to AR15.com. I've been a gun guy all my life, shot many different type of weapons/weapon systems. Born and raised in Denver Colorado and lived in many different states (FL, AL, TN, SC, NC, CA, NV, CO) while growing up (my dad is a retired Marine). Once I turned 18 I decided to enlist, I served 5 years in the Marines, stationed at Camp Pendleton 24 area as a Helicopter Mechanic (6114) and got out in 2005. Anyone here attached to HMLA 267 between 2001-05? Anyway, I've bought many weapons in my life but this is my first build and decided to go the recce route. I'm about to start on my second build which is going to be a M16A2 replica. I was issued an M16A2 while in boot camp and when I entered the FMF. To be honest when I first saw the M16A2 I thought it was the ugliest rifle ever made, but as time went on you realize how cool the M16A2 really is and I do miss it very much.

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/jpdebell82/media/IMG_2773_zpsymnsg5zd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/jpdebell82/media/IMG_2770_zps56o8kbws.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/jpdebell82/media/IMG_2772_zpsgdvbfgml.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/jpdebell82/media/IMG_2771_zpsovvfrvw6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Lantac Raven upper/lower
ARMS 58M M-L SIR System
Magpul CTR
PSA FN 16" CHF Nitride Treated Barrel
BCM BCG
LaRue 2 Stage Trigger
Gisselle Buffer and Spring
Troy Flip up BUIS
Lantac Dragon Muzzle Break
Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24, Magnifier, SPARC AR

As of right now I have my Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 mounted on my AR not my SPARC AR. Thanks for looking and I'll see you all on the forums.
View Quote
If your so inclined, A2s aren't that hard to build currently. Brownells was selling some Colt 20" Hbar Barrles for 150, and now 175. You can easily obtain an A2 on the Equipment Exchange for around 100-150, just put them together on a lower and you can have one for probably under 600. Only exception of course is that it's going to be heavier than a standard A2 with the heavy barrel, but should feel the same shooting....
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Hello all.  My name is Dan.  I'm a little late getting into the AR scene, but it's never too late.  I'm closer to 70 years old than I am to 60 and regret that I didn't buy an AR forty years ago.  I came into possession of a Bushmaster XM15 given back to me by my son in law.  I gave it to him when he made Chief in the Navy a little over 10 years ago.  Since then he has built a half dozen ARs and said he wanted me to have this one back because he would not modify it in any way since it was a gift and he wanted me to have it so we could shoot together when he visits.  The bug bit me hard and I enjoy shooting my AR at least once a week and most of the time a couple times a week.  I just started reloading for rifle and need some information from the experienced reloaders before I drop any of my handloads in my AR.  The more I learn about all this, the more I want to know.  I'm happy to be part of this forum and eager to do a lot of reading before I start asking questions or making posts. I don't want to bore anyone with questions that I can find answers to here among the pages of what has been asked and answered already.  For starters, I would like to find out all about reloading for the .223.  I need answers for questions about headspace readings and shoulder setback for once fired brass out of my AR and what some of my findings of spent brass are telling me.  Looking forward to getting to know a lot of you and sharing our mutual interests in a great hobby.  Thanks for having me as a new member.

Dan0h
Page / 17
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top