Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
A2 upper receiver (Page 6 of 10)
Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RWA007:

Looks good!   I'm surprised Amherst didn't get back to you...when I called, I had planned on leaving a message since it was after hours.  Surprisingly, someone picked up, discussed the situation and told me it was taken care of.  A few days later I got the correct aperture in the mail.  I thought it was great customer service, so again, it surprised me that they didn't reply to you.
I'm also not a fan of the A2 grip...but trying to keep this one "clone correct".
Not a huge thing...but that crooked safety would bother me.  Mine isn't crooked, but I still may get one of the KAK safeties that rotates all the way over to the burst setting, but haven't done that yet. Seems like kind of a neat little detail.  If I had to order a replacement safety selector, I'd probably do that.
This is my very first rifle length AR, and definitely the longest barrel, and I'm surprised at how smoothly it shoots.  I'm also surprised at how accurate it is.  Shooting at 100, I can't see the actual target details very well, but if I hold the sight/aperture in the same place relation to the target, I was able to throw 10 shots inside about a 6 inch circle.  I'm sure with a scope on it (being able to see the target details) it would do much better.

Very happy with this build.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RWA007:
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
Just thought I'd share my progress. Started putting it together last night. My garage worship is still not setup so I decided to do this on the kitchen table.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/417902/PXL_20230519_234520330_MP_3_jpg-2822684.JPG

I still dislike the A2 grip but I'm going to roll with it to keep it as close to retro as I can. I also used a Damage Industries build kit and the trigger is super crunchy. Going to probably keep that and hope it breaks in smooth. I also don't like the Damage Industries safety it doesn't sit perfectly horizonal but that's more of a cosmetic thing as it does function fine.

I decided not to use the rear sight from Amherst, it's got that match small aperture sight and I never heard back from them about getting it replaced. I ordered a new sight from RRA that was mentioned in another thread.

Also, is my choice on flash hider dumb since they weren't used on the A2?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/417902/PXL_20230520_172040121_MP_2_jpg-2822963.JPG

Looks good!   I'm surprised Amherst didn't get back to you...when I called, I had planned on leaving a message since it was after hours.  Surprisingly, someone picked up, discussed the situation and told me it was taken care of.  A few days later I got the correct aperture in the mail.  I thought it was great customer service, so again, it surprised me that they didn't reply to you.
I'm also not a fan of the A2 grip...but trying to keep this one "clone correct".
Not a huge thing...but that crooked safety would bother me.  Mine isn't crooked, but I still may get one of the KAK safeties that rotates all the way over to the burst setting, but haven't done that yet. Seems like kind of a neat little detail.  If I had to order a replacement safety selector, I'd probably do that.
This is my very first rifle length AR, and definitely the longest barrel, and I'm surprised at how smoothly it shoots.  I'm also surprised at how accurate it is.  Shooting at 100, I can't see the actual target details very well, but if I hold the sight/aperture in the same place relation to the target, I was able to throw 10 shots inside about a 6 inch circle.  I'm sure with a scope on it (being able to see the target details) it would do much better.

Very happy with this build.

Yeah, I don’t know why they never responded to me.

I also never realized the detention hole could possibly be drilled out of place.

I’ve got done more parts coming this week so hopefully I can get it finished soon.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Mikeoutwest:
Windham has the 1/9 back in stock.
Yeah, still on sale @ $215.  
https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/kit-ba20gvt/
View Quote

man their dissy sure is tempting

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/ba16m4d/
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By seand1111:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By seand1111:
Originally Posted By Mikeoutwest:
Windham has the 1/9 back in stock.
Yeah, still on sale @ $215.  
https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/kit-ba20gvt/

I’ve looked at that too. Might save it for an M4 build.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I just put myself on the waiting list for the 1:7 twist barrel.  That's all I need to finish my A2.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I‘m late to this thread

Anyone know where to get an A2 upper? I want to build a BHD Gordon Carbine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Romano316:
I‘m late to this thread

Anyone know where to get an A2 upper? I want to build a BHD Gordon Carbine.
View Quote

Thunder Tactical A2
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:

Thunder Tactical A2
View Quote

Thanks! They were not in stock last I checked.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Romano316:

Thanks! They were not in stock last I checked.
View Quote

Don’t buy the rear sight assembly from them. Another member and myself ordered one and got Chinese carry handle sight assemblies. There’s a difference with one of the springs and the markings look terrible. I still don’t have a resolution on mine. I went ahead and ordered a RRA. Just an fyi.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Skelz227:

Don’t buy the rear sight assembly from them. Another member and myself ordered one and got Chinese carry handle sight assemblies. There’s a difference with one of the springs and the markings look terrible. I still don’t have a resolution on mine. I went ahead and ordered a RRA. Just an fyi.
View Quote

Thanks, I’ll stick with RRA.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Windham is shipping 1x7 barrels.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By eddymunster:
View Quote

Site says "available on backorder "
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By eddymunster:
View Quote

No they’re not.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

Site says "available on backorder "
View Quote

No they’re not.
View Quote

Maybe shipping barrels that have been on backorder  
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Skelz227:

View Quote

Damn.  Sorry to hear.  They took back the stuff and refunded me for the upper receiver parts in a very timely manner and I have an upper that now accepts every BCG I own.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#15]
March 31 backorder for a 14.5" 1/7 shipped today.

My bad

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
My barrel from WW just arrived and hopefully I'll be able to put this all together this weekend!
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Have the barrel assembly’s from Windham been put together well? Such as, front sight towers lining up or are they canted? I’m looking at a 14.5 as well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SteelRaven:
Have the barrel assembly’s from Windham been put together well? Such as, front sight towers lining up or are they canted? I’m looking at a 14.5 as well.
View Quote

my 20" from them is just fine.  

But so is my 20" from H&R, and my 11.5 and 12.5 from Brownells..... maybe I just have luck with barrels because none of my upper's irons, on those, required more than 1 or 2 clicks of windage in either direction.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:42:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#19]
Finished my build. I put hopefully a correct flash hider on it; it's an A2 Birdcage from BCM. I used a Colt silent sling and put a 1976 Ontario M7 bayonet on it. Oh, I also got a few BCM Stanag 30 rounders for it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I wasn't going to do it, but I purchased an A2 upper to salvage my Bushmaster parts kit I used to make my A2 clone for Lethal Weapons TX. I just need a BCG and correct height front sight and I will be ready to take it out for another spin. It actually shot really well before I pulled the upper for the 20" barrel. I found the PSA handguards are not what I want as I used the original handguards for my 723 clone. Hopefully some Colt carbine handguards are in stock somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Finished my build. I put hopefully a correct flash hider on it; it's an A2 Birdcage from BCM. I used a Colt silent sling and put a 1976 Ontario M7 bayonet on it. Oh, I also got a few BCM Stanag 30 rounders for it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/417902/PXL_20230604_143519135_MP_2_jpg-2839821.JPG
View Quote

That looks much better with the correct FH installed
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/417902/PXL_20230604_143519135_MP_2_jpg-2839821.JPG

I do like the three prong hider but I'll use it on another build. Maybe on one of my meme builds.

It does look better with the Birdcage.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice.

Also, C7 uppers coming too?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I was wondering if you guys were going to sell just the stripped uppers.

Now if all of you neckbeards would stop hoarding them!
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 2:33:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
Yes, but it’s a minimum 4 weeks turnaround after I ship them out.
View Quote

Awesome. Any chance we will see some with M4 feed ramps for those late 727 clones?

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:24:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#30]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
Yes
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone have a plug on A2 Handguards?
I purchased a set on the EE but it doesn't seem to fit my triangle cap. Are rifle length handguards available for round and triangle caps?
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Mr223556:
Anyone have a plug on A2 Handguards?
I purchased a set on the EE but it doesn't seem to fit my triangle cap. Are rifle length handguards available for round and triangle caps?
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Colt-A2-Rifle-Length-hand-guards-in-stock-at-Brownells/127-780827/?page=1&anc=8563447#i8563447
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I’d like to introduce you all to Irene 😎

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Well hellloooooo Irene!
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks you Fuckers....Month's of looking at these A2/Blood Diamond build threads.... and I tell myself, "You don't need that"

And I purchase a 14.5 Barrel with FSB and a couple of sets of 6-hole slim handguards.

Now I'm hunting for a A2 Upper.

And Holy Hell, when did those uppers jump in price.....

I should have kept the one I had when I had Bushmaster swap it out for a Flattop back in the early 2000's. I sold it here on the EE for probably $50.

It will be total irony if I buy one from a seller here and it's my old one....
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Bug bit me a few years back.  Got plenty of free floated flat top cool guy guns, but there’s something about an OG carry handle 6 pound carbine.  I tend to shoot them more often as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#38]
\m/

Originally Posted By Harv24:
Thanks you Fuckers....Month's of looking at these A2/Blood Diamond build threads.... and I tell myself, "You don't need that"

And I purchase a 14.5 Barrel with FSB and a couple of sets of 6-hole slim handguards.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:19:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Harv24:

Now I'm hunting for a A2 Upper.

And Holy Hell, when did those uppers jump in price.....

I should have kept the one I had when I had Bushmaster swap it out for a Flattop back in the early 2000's. I sold it here on the EE for probably $50.

It will be total irony if I buy one from a seller here and it's my old one....
View Quote

No kidding. Back around 2008 I had an opportunity to buy 200 A2 uppers for $5,000. A shop local had done them years earlier for a contract that fell through. Anyways, long story short I passed. I’m an idiot. If I had bought them and held on to them I could have easily turned that five grand into $30,000 or more right now. Back then the retro craze for A2s at least, didn’t exist and A2 uppers were a low demand item that was sold all over the place.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I took Irene out for a walk around the property this afternoon

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#41]
The Bushmaster Carbine is back together. The original upper and BCG live in my A2 clone I used for a few competitions, but I thought I should put the carbine back together. The barrel is an HBAR so it is heavier than I would like, but is still not too bad. I threw the side sling mount I had in a box to replace the original I snagged for the A2.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 8:19:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Str8shot_1985] [#42]
Kinda hodgepodge of parts from leftovers, except the barrel which is a SOLGW 13.7 I snagged on the EE. 6.5 pound A2 style rifle with virtually no recoil. Running a A5H2 buffer setup under the magpul fixed carbine stock.

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Str8shot_1985:
Kinda hodgepodge of parts from leftovers, except the barrel which is a SOLGW 13.7 I snagged on the EE. 6.5 pound A2 style rifle with virtually no recoil. Running a A5H2 buffer setup under the magpul fixed carbine stock.

https://i.ibb.co/HYjV1R4/IMG-0906.jpg
View Quote

I need that in my life.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#44]

https://i.ibb.co/HYjV1R4/IMG-0906.jpg
View Quote

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice!

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

I need that in my life.
View Quote

Thanks, I did too lol. The combination of the mid length has, nox9 and the A5 buffer setup makes this thing flat shooting and it’s stupid great handling too.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Any idea on a timeline for the next batch of these or blems? I managed to get a blem and should have ordered 2. 1 is never enough... Lol
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 4:26:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#49]

Thanks, I did too lol. The combination of the mid length has, nox9 and the A5 buffer setup makes this thing flat shooting and it’s stupid great handling too.
View All Quotes

I need that in my life.

It occurred to me today, that among the many items in my parts box was a 13.9” barrel and a set screw FSB, so of course I had to assemble them just to see how I would like the setup.

Nothing is torqued down and it’s not pinned so I put it on an SBR lower but I think im going to go forward with this build rather than the 727 I was planning.

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#50]

It occurred to me today, that among the many items in my parts box was a 13.9” barrel and a set screw FSB, so of course I had to assemble them just to see how I would like the setup.

Nothing is torqued down and it’s not pinned so I put it on an SBR lower but I think im going to go forward with this build rather than the 727 I was planning.

https://i.imgur.com/BiJDzwn.jpg
View Quote

Nice, I have been thinking about doing a FCD extended A2 keymo on instead of the nox but idk....
Page / 10
A2 upper receiver (Page 6 of 10)
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top