Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
A2 upper receiver (Page 3 of 10)
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 11:53:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blain:

The "reason" had to do with greed.  Something about Colt needing proprietary parts to patent and retain exclusive ownership over the guns it was producing ala "Smallarmssolutions".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:
Edit: The shorter height carry handles came about so the commercial manufacturers could continue using A2 FSBs on their barrel assemblies. This actually makes more sense to me vs. the way Colt decided to do things with raising the height of the FSB and making the detachable carry handle to match the FSB's height increase... There might be a good reason that Colt went that route, but I am unclear of the actual reason?

The "reason" had to do with greed.  Something about Colt needing proprietary parts to patent and retain exclusive ownership over the guns it was producing ala "Smallarmssolutions".

Not doubting that at all since I've never seen a really good technical explanation for why the "F" height FSB was brought about.

I've heard many times through the years that if you have a carbine sight radius barrel with an A2 FSB that a .040 taller front sight post is required even when paired with fixed carry handle uppers. It was believed that Colt was trying to address this issue with the "F" height FSB. I have no first hand experience with that configuration though, so I have no idea. I know that both of my Colt 6720 barrels (which have A2 FSBs) came with Colt's taller 9mm front sight post from the factory. Only one of them required the extra height of the taller FSP to zero at 50 yards, but these are both on flat top uppers with Magpul Pro rear sights, which are mil-spec height sights as far as I know.

Now if I took both of those 6720 barrels and replaced the taller 9mm FSPs with standard FSPs and paired them with fixed carry handle uppers might I run into issues with zeroing the FSPs for elevation? The world may never know.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 12:21:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#2]
Originally Posted By Mr223556:
About to pull the trigger on an A2 upper from thunderguns.com.
My question is if using a 20" barrel, what front sight base would you use? My understanding is F marked is designed for flattop receivers.
View Quote

20" barrels that are being paired with fixed carry handle uppers get A2 front sight bases.

Any length barrel being paired with a flat top upper should get an "F" height FSB, mainly to maintain compatibility with the majority of rear back up sights that are mil-spec height.

However, if you happened into a setup with an A2 FSB that has your front sight post coming out too far for zeroing elevation, you can always get this .040 taller front sight post. > https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/9349056-mod/
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

20" barrels that are being paired with fixed carry handle uppers get A2 front sight bases.

Any length barrel being paired with a flat top upper should get an "F" height FSB, mainly to maintain compatibility with the majority of rear back up sights that are mil-spec height.

However, if you happened into a setup with an A2 FSB that has your front sight post coming out too far for zeroing elevation, you can always get this .040 taller front sight post. > https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/9349056-mod/
View Quote

Awesome information thank you. Just backordered the linked kit from windham!
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Where is one able to obtain the A2 rear sight components needed to build this these days?
View Quote

In case you are interested, I received three of these from Amherst today. They appear to be NOS Govt issue from 1989 (if I’m reading packaging correctly).Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By hwrdln:
Ohio Ordnance Works has complete Capco A2 upper assemblies.  I bought two and there're better than described.  Here is the link:

< https://www.oowinc.com/exclusives/semi-auto/capco-m16a2-upper-gray/ >
View Quote
Yep always loved those, I have a brand new one that was still wrapped -

Military Surplus A2 Upper by Solo__, on Flickr

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By eyesky31:

In case you are interested, I received three of these from Amherst today. They appear to be NOS Govt issue from 1989 (if I’m reading packaging correctly).https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/574635/39AEE625-1966-47E5-9471-94F3A9D66BC9_jpe-2734009.JPG
View Quote

Is there a dimple above the windage wheel?
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah

No forge markings but nice uniform finish and the feed ramps look good and clean.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I placed an order for 4. The price is right, so why not. I've been looking for 3 years or so now. A 20 inch rifle will be first. Then probably a dissy and 14.5 p/w. Not sure about the last one. Either a Gordy carbine, 11.5, or 10.5. They won't be built right away, but at least I'll have them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:
Oh yeah

No forge markings but nice uniform finish and the feed ramps look good and clean.
View Quote

The FedEx van came by my house today too.  Really wasn't expecting this to ship so quick.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 2:27:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder who is making these uppers?! Very interested to know the source.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#11]
My uppers will be in tomorrow and I can start building. I'll start with the "Blood Diamond Carbine". Trying to avoid paying multiple shipping charges and get as many items as possible from one vendor and non F-marked A2 front sight with .750 base is kind of hard to find. I'll be getting a lot of small stuff from JSE and they have the F-marked ones in stock.

If I get an F-marked assembly, is it just milling off .040" from the shelf to turn it into a "non-F-marked"? Will all the threaded holes, spring holes, etc still be the proper depth for a non-F one?
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:28:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: curlew] [#12]
Originally Posted By Forgemonkey1066:
If I get an F-marked assembly, is it just milling off .040" from the shelf to turn it into a "non-F-marked"? Will all the threaded holes, spring holes, etc still be the proper depth for a non-F one?
View Quote
Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it. The 0.040” (or 0.032”) difference in height between F and A2 FSB’s only amounts to 5 or 6 clicks on the A2 elevation knob, and the A2 sight has plenty of upward travel available.  So unless you’re a stickler for having “zero” at the very bottom of the elevation travel, or you’re planning to push out to 800 yards, it shouldn’t be a problem.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Upper should be here next few days, paid $19.99 for shipping and it was sent "USPS - One Balance Priority Mail". On a side note, I was able to use a coupon code "HERO" for few bucks off, came out to $113.99 Shipped.
Either way, can't wait for it. Spent years looking for A2/A1 receiver on and off.
Now I am just torn between a M16A2 build or as mentioned, a "Blood Diamond Carbine" build. Leaning towards the M16A2 since it's what I had back at MCRD.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 2:14:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Is there any way to check these uppers to see if they are actually forged, even if they aren't forge marked? It says that they're forged on the website, but I'm curious if there's any other identifying marks or clues.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 2:38:59 AM EDT
[#15]
That’s what I’ve been wondering, mine should be delivered tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 9:39:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#16]
Another A2 dissipator in the stable

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Valiant1:
Is there any way to check these uppers to see if they are actually forged, even if they aren't forge marked? It says that they're forged on the website, but I'm curious if there's any other identifying marks or clues.
View Quote

They have flash from the forging process.  A cast part wouldn't have that forging flash.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 3:11:39 AM EDT
[#18]

They have flash from the forging process.  A cast part wouldn't have that forging flash.
View Quote

Thank you. I got mine in the other day.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

The forge flash seam inside the carry handle.

A cast part has so much overage that all remnants of a cast process would be removed once close to a final shape.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#20]
What 20” barrel is everyone using?

Thunder Tactical shows available for back order so I’m thinking about diving in.  Sounds like they all have M4 ramps.  Seems the only real choice would be a 20” made for an A4 (ramps in extension and F marked FSB)…

I have a complete Aero 20” A4 upper so I have a barrel that I could use.  My concerns would only be for elevation zero, having the F marked FSB..
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jdixon22:

Thunder Tactical shows available for back order so I’m thinking about diving in.  Sounds like they all have M4 ramps.  Seems the only real choice would be a 20” made for an A4 (ramps in extension and F marked FSB)…

I have a complete Aero 20” A4 upper so I have a barrel that I could use.  My concerns would only be for elevation zero, having the F marked FSB..
View Quote

Currently available on backorder.

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/kit-ba20gvt-7/
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:24:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ckopp636] [#22]
I got my receiver from thunder tactical and all seems well with it, so I now have another on back order from them. I installed an upper parts kit with rear sight into it from fulton armory.

I now also have a 20” 1/7 barrel on back order from windham weaponry. they told me ealier this week that they just began production on them, so they are roughly 4-8 weeks out
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Thunder Tactical replied to my email and says the forgings are from brass and aluminum. They are currently about 1 - 1 1/2 weeks out on backorders for them
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Are they having them produced, or do they have a finite supply that's gone once they sell out

Looks to me that there is enough of a demand for A2 uppers that an occasional production run would be profitable.

RCA
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 4:10:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OWCH] [#25]
Zero issues going together.  Two thumbs up.
JP

Side note: I'll catch shit for this, but its friggin windy as hell and cold here in Wisconsin.
So rather than dress and run to the barn for grease to assemble the rear sight.
The HORROR,  I used cold bacon grease on the stove from breakfast. :)
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 6:14:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jdixon22] [#26]
Originally Posted By jdixon22:

View Quote

Shows back in stock now (3/13/23 6p EST).  I ordered one.  If it comes with M4 ramps, I’ll use my Aero 20” F marked barrel.  I intend on the RIZB set up for zero..
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#27]
So if I use a F-marked FSB with an A2 upper, all I need is a taller front sight post?
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 1:22:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#28]
So if I use a F-marked FSB with an A2 upper, all I need is a taller front sight post?
View Quote

If you use an "F" height FSB with an A2 upper you'd probably end up needing to lower the front sight post down into the FSB instead of needing to raise it.

You should only need the taller front sight posts with the A2 FSB when used on flat top uppers with mil-spec height rear sights. And the carbine sight radius might need the taller front sight post in an A2 FSB regardless of the upper used.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Didn't take long for these to hit the EE at twice the cost.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Didn't take long for these to hit the EE at twice the cost.  
View Quote

And some for even more! I was just messaging my brother saying the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#31]
thunder tactical has A2 uppers in stock again

snagged one with a FA and port door kit

now off to get a rear sight assembly
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By carbineone1964:
Yeah some are caught in some fantasy world that A2 USGI Upper Receivers are still
50.00..And gas and milk is 1.50 a gallon..
View Quote

Not sure we will ever see $50 again but maybe. Shortly after this post, I got a raw A2 from TT for $74.99 (before they realized they could charge more and people was willing to gladly pay more). I did fill up my tank yesterday for $2.98 a gallon.

Looks like TT has 39 black ones left in stock as of this post.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#33]
FYI I ordered an A2 sight assembly from Rock River Arms along with dust cover parts and foward assist. Hopefully get to put together this weekend.
All is left is a barrel and lower.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#34]
The 3 I got.
Light weight 16" at bottom.
Dissipator in middle.
Traditional a2 20" on top.

JP
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 11:04:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1shotkyle] [#35]
Got a couple thunder tactical uppers and some a2 sights coming from m&a .

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:30:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Waiting on another upper i ordered form TT. This is going to be a Blood Diamond carbine I think.
I just need to make room for all of these builds now…

Sourcing some of these parts is going to be tricky as well.

So far the A2 sight is great from RRA. Just need standard height FSB and barrels and specific lowers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Delton has barrels with non f marked front site

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Ordered Saturday evening and received them today!  Thunder tactical is legit!  I can’t wait to build these out!
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Modified my F-marked front sight by milling off 0.040”. Pretty simple on the milling machine. Touched up the parkerizing by heating up a shot glass full of park fluid and letting the sight sit in it upside down for 10 min to park the shelf surface. Came out great.

Got all but rear sight for my Delta CAR build. Got a load of parts arriving today for the standard govt rifle build.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Modified my F-marked front sight by milling off 0.040”. Pretty simple on the milling machine. Touched up the parkerizing by heating up a shot glass full of park fluid and letting the sight sit in it upside down for 10 min to park the shelf surface. Came out great.

Got all but rear sight for my Delta CAR build. Got a load of parts arriving today for the standard govt rifle build.
View Quote

Can you post pics?  of the front sight...
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Just a heads up Thunder Tactical has A2 uppers back in stock.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Got my 2 thunder tactical uppers already waiting for  m&a sights to show tomorrow
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By seand1111:

Can you post pics?  of the front sight...
View Quote

Looks like I can't post pics direct here. I can do a quick youtube video and link to it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#44]

Looks like I can't post pics direct here. I can do a quick youtube video and link to it.
View Quote

gonna send you a message.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Anyone else start their builds yet? Pics would be cool!
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Anyone else start their builds yet? Pics would be cool!
View Quote

The rest of my parts will be here tomorrow.  I’ll post a pic when it’s all finished :)
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 4:06:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By CaptShiess:
https://i.imgur.com/kgEmOb4.jpg
Ordered Saturday evening and received them today!  Thunder tactical is legit!  I can’t wait to build these out!
View Quote

It's hard to tell with them in the wrap, but am I seeing forge markings on yours? I know the last few batches were blank.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Is the rear sight kit from TT good to go?...anything wrong with it?  Someone mentioned a kit from RRA above...link to that?
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By RWA007:
Is the rear sight kit from TT good to go?...anything wrong with it?  Someone mentioned a kit from RRA above...link to that?
View Quote

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1334

https://www.amherstmilitarydepot.com/Rear-Sight-Assembly-A2-AR-15-p/ar15-096.htm
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Originally Posted By RWA007:

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1334

https://www.amherstmilitarydepot.com/Rear-Sight-Assembly-A2-AR-15-p/ar15-096.htm

The sight kit I got from Amherst was still in package, old stock from 1989. Very nice kit, glad I went that route.
Page / 10
A2 upper receiver (Page 3 of 10)
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top