Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2017 10:25:37 PM EDT
Hi all,

A buddy of mine gave this to me today and he wasn't clear on the make.  He thought it may have been DPMS or something, but he wasn't sure.  Is this a mish-mash of parts or did it originally come from the same upper?  I can't see any forge marks:

The flash hider is a bit different than what I'm used to.  This onr has ports all the way arund, whereas the ones I'm familiar with have no ports on the bottom.

The only markings that appear on the barrel are "5.56"

It appears that there's an "A" stamped in the rear take-down tab, but maybe it's nothing.

I think this BCG is a Smith Enterprises BCG?

No markings on the bolt itself.

The barrel is a heavy profile.

Compared to my SA20 upper
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Just a guess, but it looks very similar to a 16" Carbine Olympic upper I had.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm no expert but I agree ^^^.
That upper looks painted. And the front sight looks almost machined not really forged.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
This is my first fixed carry handle upper, so it's kind of neat for me.

The finish is a bit rough and reminds me of Norinco, but not quite that bad.  It's shiny so it could be painted.  The delta ring is also a bit glossy, asare the hand guards.

Is that an "A" stamped into the rear take down tab or is that my imagination?  If it is, does it mean anything?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:50:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking its Chinese made.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm thinking its Chinese made.
View Quote
I thought the receiver might have been because I hadn't seen such rough finishes come out of the US, but I haven't seen any heavy barrrels come out of China.  

That's not to say they don't exist, but I just haven't seen any from the three Chinese brands I've seen in Canada.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:47:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a pre-ban Olympic Arms to me. They were quite fond of heavy barrels and smooth front sight bases. They also used roll pins to hold in the front sling swivel. Does the barrel have an "SS" stamped somewhere? Olympic used a lot of stainless too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:49:21 AM EDT
[#7]
The super glossy delta ring is typical of the old Oly rifles as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:56:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks exactly like my Olympic Arms Hbar. I hate the hell out of this upper, but no one will buy it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:08:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  Looks exactly like my Olympic Arms Hbar. I hate the hell out of this upper, but no one will buy it.
View Quote
Have you tried the Marylanders?  They're only allowed to have HBARs.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:10:54 AM EDT
[#10]
To bad it is an A2 style, an A1 I would be real interested in, but already have several A2 uppers

If I remember right, I may have got one of them from backbender?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  To bad it is an A2 style, an A1 I would be real interested in, but already have several A2 uppers

If I remember right, I may have got one of them from backbender?
View Quote
Not unless you were one of the groomsmen @ my wedding and are misrepresenting your state!  

Might have sold you a bbl years and years ago.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the info guys.  

Now I have to decide what to do with it.....there's a Colt AR15-A3 lower on the local forums I was thinking about grabbing, or maybe just find any lower and throw it on.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not unless you were one of the groomsmen @ my wedding and are misrepresenting your state!  

Might have sold you a bbl years and years ago.
View Quote
Your right, I bought one from endermend a while back
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info guys.  

Now I have to decide what to do with it.
View Quote
Time for an A2 HBAR 
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Agreed on the Olympic guesstimates.

FH is A1 style. Most likely a parts conglomeration assembled by a home builder, if I had to guess.

Shoot the hell out of it.  
View Quote
This is what I did with my last HBAR, Colt barrel:

Threw it on my SR15 lower just to see what it would look like:

I kind of like it....nice and simple.

With my other 20" ARs.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Agreed on the Olympic guesstimates.

FH is A1 style. Most likely a parts conglomeration assembled by a home builder, if I had to guess.

Shoot the hell out of it.  
View Quote
My Olympic Arms came with an A1 Flash Hider, so I don't really know if it's a home builder or not.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My Olympic Arms came with an A1 Flash Hider, so I don't really know if it's a home builder or not.
View Quote
Hmmm...I also noticed that this one came with a spring washer instead of a crush washer for the flash hider.  It's been a while since I've see that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would put an A2 FH on it with peel washers and see how it groups with decent ammo.
View Quote
Already swapped it out, lol!  Have a bunch of A2 flash hiders in my spare parts bin.  

Also found a pair of hand guards not quite as shiny and threw those on.  Not sure if I'm going to bother swapping out the shiny delta ring for a parkerized one, but I do have one sitting in my spare parts bin.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Is that upper cast also? No forge marks... The upper on my first AR looked like that, hbar, cast fsb. Stupidly I sold it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is that upper cast also? No forge marks... The upper on my first AR looked like that, hbar, cast fsb. Stupidly I sold it.
View Quote
Oh damn, lol I just noticed my fsb is cast
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:48:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I didn't have a dedicated lower ready for it, so my buddy Hermes from Reliable gun got me a stripped Colt Canada lower for pretty cheap.  Actually, it was about half the price of my first stripped lower when these things first came out.

This one was a light gray like my previous ones, but I didn't bother soaking this one in G96/CLP for three weeks to darken it up.  This one also didn't have any markings between the maple leaf and the serial number.  I had it engraved before I had a chance to take a pic of the virgin receiver though, so you'll have to use your imagination.  Also, I had the wrong engraving put in, as this build was supposed to have a fixed carry handle so it should have just been C7 instead of C7A2.

The engraving wasn't perfect, I think the font is a bit on the small side, but whatever, the lower didn't cost me much so I don't really care.

Aside from the stripped lower, and the DPMS LPK, I dug a few other Colt Canada parts out of my spare parts box.  I don't think these items however were on the earliest C7s.

Anyway, slapped it together and ended up with this:

Yeah, the upper came with this sling and I just threw it on.  I was too lazy to dig out the C7 sling that came with my SA20.

As mentioned before, I don't think the first C7s came with the TRIAD rail, but since it was in my spare parts box, I threw it on anyway.  I also have a KAC M5 RAS rail for this length of barrel, but I don't think I'll be using that one unless I go with a flat top upper for it.

A replica "Claw" from Frontier Firearms I think.  It was cheap and in my spare parts box.

The colors don't match, just like the real deal.

Not exactly the same as the C7 when I first joined the CF, but it's black.

When I first joined the CF, our unit didn't have the green furniture.  The rifles were all black, fixed A2 buttstocks, but flat top uppers with the Elcan.  They didn't have the Norgon ambi mag release, ambi selector, TRIAD rail, or the "Claw" charging handle.  I have no idea what configuration they were before I joined, so I'm not even sure if they ever had the fixed carry handle.

I'll have to find some time to take this thing out to shoot one of these days.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 1:46:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm late to the party.

The upper, is it stamped with "O Y" mark above the gas tube hole?  Also same logo one the receiver end of barrel extension.

Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm late to the party.

The upper, is it stamped with "O Y" mark above the gas tube hole?  Also same logo one the receiver end of barrel extension.

http://moonborn.com/media/upls/2016/01/IMG_9787-e1453331734689.jpg
View Quote
Hmm, I'll have to check when I get home.  Is there an "A" mark on the rear take down tab or is that my imagination?  And if it is, does it mean anything?

Link Posted: 11/15/2017 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Front sight base is a casting.
View Quote
+1  Not the most durable either.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hmm, I'll have to check when I get home.  Is there an "A" mark on the rear take down tab or is that my imagination?  And if it is, does it mean anything?

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zKXTyiB5nWg/WeK3OD-pc_I/AAAAAAAAqro/pmorj5sb3LYTwb0fpHt6B4Upc-IUlYOMQCKgBGAs/s1600/PA142358.JPG
View Quote
It's the other end of the upper where the gas tube entering the receiver.

Olympic stamps their upper with a "Y" in an "O".

It looks like an upside down Mercedes-Benz logo.

The same stamp should be on the end of the barrel extension, too.  But you have to remove the barrel from the receiver to see it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I like the rifle but it’s more of an M16A2 clone.  The original C7 was basically an M16A2 but it used what is commonly referred to as a C7 upper.  Colt called it M16A2 with field sights.  It was an M16A1 style carry handle upper that had the “Brunton bump” case deflector.

The triad is correct as they were issued at least a year before the C7A2.  I had one on my C7A1 while deployed in Afghanistan in 2003.  We also had classic Surefire Weapon Lights on that tour.

As for the markings the C7 is centered and the A2 is off to the side as they reused the original C7 lower and stamped the A2 after the fact.  The A2 is shiny because it stamped through the anodizing.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top