Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2017 11:07:58 PM EDT
I know this an A2 forum but i figured I would ask here vs the "build" section, but if i am in the wrong, mods, please move and i apologize.  

That being said, am building an 20 inch A3 *removable carry handle* rifle.  I got everything but the barrel and a2 front post.  anywho, my question is, I got a Rock river A2 kit and the stock is great, but its alittle on the grey level.  Im not looking for a BLACK stock, but i seem to remember the A2 stock being more of a darker grey, not a lighter grey side. is there a way to darken it up?  I thought maybe oil but then idk if id want oil on the stock, even if its wiped off.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I used chemical guys auto dash cleaner . The low shine one.  Black on black I think it's called
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#2]
You could also work some CLP or gun oil into it. I have done this before. Just have to make sure you wipe off the excess.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys.  Ill try the clp first then the other next.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
CLP works great.  It may take a few "coats"
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Regular black Kiwi shoe polish does a nice job, makes it a very dark, very flat, charcoal gray.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I used a big pot and black Rit dye. It's darker before I even start with the clp
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#7]
the CLP worked.  Thanks guys.    

I put a layer on and wiped it off and it looked good.  next day it lightened up some so i did it again and so far its good to go.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Id be worried about it coming off.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Black Kiwi shoe polish, just a light coat. Back in the days when we had to get ready for an IG inspection.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Black Shoe Polish for the win!  

I recently picked up an old beat up A2 butt that was mil-spec surplus and was pretty banged up.  You could tell it wasn't the typical grey and was already dark but over the years from all the scratches it had lightened up in many areas and one place had been sanded to take off old rack numbers.  I rubbed the shoe polish into it and now it looks great, perfect battlefield pickup look!
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top