Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2017 7:22:10 PM EDT
Typically when looking at Mogadishu pics and such, we see a lot of carbines with stuff hanging off the carry handle.  But it's rare we see RDS on a full length A2.  At least in that era.  And then I was watching a documentary one Amazon about Black Hawk Down and saw a pic of a guy with I think an Aimpoint 2000 on an M16A2.  And I think I might have seen something similar in another thread, but I had forgotten.  But by far RDS on carry handles seemed to be a carbine thing.  For the most part.  

Here's a crappy screen shot from that documentary:

Well, my RDS isn't anywhere near as cool, but I recently ordered a fieldsport RDS from Amazon and I couldn't help myself.  I wanted to try it out on the A2.  It actually worked well today, and to be honest, I really dig this set up.  I personally like stuff up on the carry handle because I have a long neck and I think it puts my head in a more upright position.  When sighting own irons at normal height, my head is always more tilted and I sometimes am even having an issue with my glass rim being in my way.  

I'm not sure I'll ever get a 2000.   Plus I'd probably think it's too heavy.  Who knows, but it is a fun set up and I enjoyed shooting it.   I only shot it at 25 meters but I put up some groups of me prone using my 20 round mag as a monopod. (It's the curved kind, so it works for that with the magpul ranger plates on there)

beware middle aged untanned man shooting his AR

That shift in POI though, ugh

I shouldn't waste 77's at 25 meters.  I think I have to go further to see them group better.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never been able to score a Aimpoint 2000, but I have a 1000 and a Mark iii. Mostly are novelties but it's interesting to see where technology has gone.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure I've ever seen a 1000, or a Mk3.  I don't know what that is.  But I do remember seeing pics of that Navy SEAL on a carrier with a 3000 on his A1.  Actually I think it might've been a 605.  But I don't recall for sure.  But yeah, I wonder how long a battery lasts for.  LOL.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure I've ever seen a 1000, or a Mk3.  I don't know what that is.  But I do remember seeing pics of that Navy SEAL on a carrier with a 3000 on his A1.  Actually I think it might've been a 605.  But I don't recall for sure.  But yeah, I wonder how long a battery lasts for.  LOL.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Whoa, crossdraw M9 AIWB it looks like.  I wonder if he had that in a holster.

GREAT PIC!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Of course I like the MP5 too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Some period photos....

Kuwaiti Resistance with an A2 and jungle taped Thermolds right after liberation from Iraqi Occupation.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Same POS detail on operations.

Redi-Mag also used
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't know why but I've never really taken note of the redi mag before.  LOL.  Very cool.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a MKIII in a box of parts I purchased. I turned it loose as-is on ebay it went for about $100. I assumed it went to someone building a clone.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I recall a couple folks that were there saying they had the 5000's and 3000's on their carbines and A2's. I got a 5000 for my retro GAU to be correct to that period since the wrapping on that 1:12 barrel was dated 1993.

And you guys suck for making buy all that stuff..
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Some period photos....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cfw8Yn8UsAACOAa.jpg:large

http://i.imgur.com/x3RLRID.jpgKuwaiti Resistance with an A2 and jungle taped Thermolds right after liberation from Iraqi Occupation.
View Quote
Top picture is from another ODA in my Battalion at the time.  Only optic I remember that small back then was the Hensoldt Blits 4x that mounted to the top carrying handle of our M16A2s.  I used one on my M16A2 after GW1 during JTF6 at Ft Bliss end of 91'.  Other was the PVS-4.  Don't remember any RDS in Group until we got the Trijicon Reflex in 95' which was short lived as we then got the M68 CCO.  I refered to run the Trijicon TA01NSN for decades.

Hensoldt

The M68 came with a goose neck mount for the regular Army units to use on their M16A2 carrying handles.

CD
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Top picture is from another ODA in my Battalion at the time.  Only optic I remember that small back then was the Hensoldt Blits 4x that mounted to the top carrying handle of our M16A2s.  I used one on my M16A2 after GW1 during JTF6 at Ft Bliss end of 91'.  Other was the PVS-4.  Don't remember any RDS in Group until we got the Trijicon Reflex in 95' which was short lived as we then got the M68 CCO.  I refered to run the Trijicon TA01NSN for decades.

Hensoldt

The M68 came with a goose neck mount for the regular Army units to use on their M16A2 carrying handles.
http://www.militarywarfighter.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Aimpoint-10174-3T.jpg

CD
View Quote
Out of curiosity @Combat_Diver, how was the eye relief on the Hensoldt's?   When I put my fake colt 4x I do have to get pretty close to it.  It works well but if the eye relief was a bit longer, it would be really sweet.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity @Combat_Diver, how was the eye relief on the Hensoldt's?   When I put my fake colt 4x I do have to get pretty close to it.  It works well but if the eye relief was a bit longer, it would be really sweet.
View Quote
Honestly don't remember.  That was way back in 91' but no worse than the ACOG.  This might help.
Hensoldt

CD
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Curious as to your use of the term "POS Detail"?
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top