Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2017 6:44:24 PM EDT
Ok so I got this upper for $130 online from a decently enough reputable place.

It came today and there are no forge marks on the handle.

I'm not super pissed about it but I like to know where my stuff comes from.

Does anyone have any input on this?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok so I got this upper for $130 online from a decently enough reputable place.

It came today and there are no forge marks on the handle.

I'm not super pissed about it but I like to know where my stuff comes from.

Does anyone have any input on this?
View Quote

As long as it is in spec and works, why even worry about it.  The forge mark really don't mean much, it comes down to who actually machined it, if the parts fit and it goes bang when you pull the trigger, then why worry about it?

The forge makes a block of metal..
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Well that's usually why I like the forge mark bc I know where it came from.

How will I know if it's in spec? How will I know it's made from the right materials? How will I know who made it?

That's what concerns me
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How will I know if it's in spec? How will I know it's made from the right materials? How will I know who made it?

That's what concerns me
View Quote
Why? are you going to war?

If the BGC fits and it goes bang when you pull the trigger, then it is in spec.

You guys worry way to much, if something is not right, it does not take much time to figure out that it is bad in this industry!

Who did you buy it from?

Do you really think the guys that are actually going to war, worry about who made the gun that they were issued, no, they hand them a gun and say, go shoot the bad guys!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Who did you buy it from? What is their reputation? Did you buy it on fleabay?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not going to war but that's not to say I don't want a gun capable of doing it.

I paid $130 for it. I got it from JSE surplus.

It's not exactly cheap but for an a2 it's a good price

If it's really 7075 t6 heat treated I'm fine. It's just when you get something that's different when you thought you purchased it's alarming. Hence the reason I'm writing this post.

Otherwise the machining and finish are nice. The only thing I'm surprised on is the no forge mark.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Otherwise the machining and finish are nice. The only thing I'm surprised on is the no forge mark.
View Quote
I have built 28 guns in the last 2 years, I own 3 FA M16 Guns and I have a few that don't have forge marks, I have run my no forge mark uppers on FA lowers, I have run no forge mark lowers to death and have had no problems, it does a company no good to sell something that is not what they are advertising.  By the way, two of my M16s were made in 1964 and one in 1965 and they have 6061 lowers and have never had any problems, and I can't tell you how many rounds those three Vietnam era Battle rifles have had through them, but they still keep going bang..

Put the gun together and shoot it, if something breaks, call JSE and tell them, most of the companies in this business are pretty good, if they aren't they don't last.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's what concerns me
View Quote
That just tells you what forge it came out of.  The final machining is done by whoever purchased the blank.  That same blank could be finished by Colt or Olympic.  Yes, Colt has used unmarked A2 uppers, particularly those from Colt Canada 6520s.  An upper from the same forge house could be rejected by one manufacturer for flaws/quality and pass the standard of another.  It has no bearing on the final quality of the product aside from the material used.

BTW, I believe you'd be hard pressed to find an A2 upper in anything but 7075.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That just tells you what forge it came out of.  The final machining is done by whoever purchased the blank.  That same blank could be finished by Colt or Olympic.  Yes, Colt has used unmarked A2 uppers, particularly those from Colt Canada 6520s.  An upper from the same forge house could be rejected by one manufacturer for flaws/quality and pass the standard of another.  It has no bearing on the final quality of the product aside from the material used.

BTW, I believe you'd be hard pressed to find an A2 upper in anything but 7075.
View Quote
Cool cool that's why I asked bc I didn't know.

As long as its spec I'm totally cool w it!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I have bought several A1 uppers from JSE.  Great customer service and good parts.  Did they advertise a certain forge upper?  I paid $130 for my last A2 upper off the EE with a square forge.  i have no idea who that is but I know my 727/ XM4 clone runs perfect with it.  Only A2 upper I had an issue with was an Oly.  Had to file a little for take down pins to fit.  After that it was fine.  

OP; put a charge handle and a BCG in the upper,  if it fits and slides in and out you are probably good.  You can use a go/no go gauge after it is fully assembled if you want to.  I never have.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have bought several A1 uppers from JSE.  Great customer service and good parts.  Did they advertise a certain forge upper?  I paid $130 for my last A2 upper off the EE with a square forge.  i have no idea who that is but I know my 727/ XM4 clone runs perfect with it.  Only A2 upper I had an issue with was an Oly.  Had to file a little for take down pins to fit.  After that it was fine.  

OP; put a charge handle and a BCG in the upper,  if it fits and slides in and out you are probably good.  You can use a go/no go gauge after it is fully assembled if you want to.  I never have.
View Quote
Nah in the picture they advertise w a forge mark. But the description doesn't say anything about it or having a forge mark so I just took it for granted.

I didn't even want to mention the company bc I haven't had an ad experience with them at all and it seems quality. I just didn't know what the deal was with no forge mark.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got one of those JSE A2 uppers as well.  It looks absolutely well done, and I have no forge mark either.  Very good looking upper imho.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top