Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That looks awesome! What float tube did you use?
View Quote
He lists it. Bushmaster vmatch
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks awesome! What float tube did you use?
Wow i should learn to read better. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, Bushmaster Vmatch. Its the one piece model that is basically a giant barrel nut.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes, Bushmaster Vmatch. Its the one piece model that is basically a giant barrel nut.
View Quote
Do they still make that? I remember looking when I did mine and couldn't find anything new.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do they still make that? I remember looking when I did mine and couldn't find anything new.
View Quote
No. Couldn't find anything new. So I put a "WTB" ad up and scored one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I did and no responses.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Third from right.  I believe that is my Battalion Commander, LTC Cuccolo.  3/5 CAV.  Great officer.  We were an infantry unit under a CAV flag, out of the Rock, Kirch-goens, Germany.  Spent nine months in Bosnia, Jan-Sep '96.  Love the rifles.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
The float tube looks identical to Compass Lake Engineering's match rifle float tube. Accuracy Speaks sells a similar model, but his has a larger diameter than CLE's.

If yoy can't find it in CLE's website under "match rifle parts" call Frank White and ask if he still sells them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The float tube looks identical to Compass Lake Engineering's match rifle float tube. Accuracy Speaks sells a similar model, but his has a larger diameter than CLE's.

If you can't find it in CLE's website under "match rifle parts" call Frank White and ask if he still sells them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't find it in CLE's website under "match rifle parts" call Frank White and ask if he still sells them.
The CLE tubes have a ring over the rear that wasn't there on the Bushampster V-Match tubes.  It also has a hand stop slot that would interfere with locating Weaver rail sections for the VFG and PAQ-4.

Anyone remember these from back in the day?

Looked like this:

Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Too bad the knurling on the YHM is not continous. Otherwise, it might make a decent substitute.
https://yhm.net/12-520-freefloat-tube-forearm-rifle-length.html
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:45:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The CLE tubes have a ring over the rear that wasn't there on the Bushampster V-Match tubes.  It also has a hand stop slot that would interfere with locating Weaver rail sections for the VFG and PAQ-4.

http://www.compasslake.com/images/SpaceGun_Floattube.jpg

Anyone remember these from back in the day?

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/images/ssi/PCWVMS16_L.jpg

Looked like this:

https://picturearchive.gunauction.com/2234145312/8466666/9c22fbd55d2234646d3f5be629c25843.jpg
View Quote
That is the one I used/found.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#12]
FWIW. There are several available with a similar appearance to the ones from the 1990's on ebay. I can't vouch for the quality one way or the other. Search for; knurled free float handguard.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I've always liked the aesthetic of those knurled tubes
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 2:20:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I used a real Colt 727/777 type barrel but if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't waste a good 727 barrel on one of these. The Bayo lug has the get chopped to clear.

I would use a SOCOM barrel that never had an FSB and have a new A2 FSB installed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Found an example of a later one, but with a flat top upper, ARMS scope rail base.

FPS cut carbon fiber tube.

I get more questions about the “Black Gun” with a suppressor than any other weapon that I post. I called this black beauty my Recce Rifle, which the unit armorers could take an ordinary M-4 with a 16? barrel and make it shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 100m. As a sniper, I chose this gun from my gun lockup over the other dozen guns if I needed a light weight, precision instrument for a mission that I could also use as an Assault Rifle inside a structure if needed. The suppressor was made by Knight’s and never failed me, but as much fun as these suppressors are to shoot, the extra cleaning balances it out.

Respectfully,

Daryl Holland, US Army SGM (Ret)
View Quote
LAV comments:
Larry Vickers offers these additional observations:

The early Recce rifle efforts started in the Delta Sniper Troops in the early 1990’s – post Operation Just Cause timeframe.

A variety of things were tried (such as stainless steel match barrels) but the improvements narrowed down to a few areas; improved ammo, improved triggers, a variety of optics and lastly free float hand guards and eventually rail systems. These efforts pre date the Mk12 in NSW use by many years.

Knights Armament played a big role with development of both enhanced triggers and free float rails coming out of this program. Reed Knight said from an early stage that better ammo would yield much better results than match barrels and he of course was correct. Delta pushed forward with acquiring better ammo that has led to much of the specialized 5.56mm ammo on the market today. Black Hills and Hornady both offer loadings as a direct result of these efforts.

The rifle shown in this picture had an early SR-25 carbon fiber free float tube adapted to it. This became a common modification in Delta to get more real estate for lights and lasers and better zero retention vs the carbine length KAC rail. This led to the development of the KAC MRE rail which was the first extended length rail of its kind.

Also the scope in this pic is a Microdot – a Japanese 1.25 x 4 off the shelf commercial grade scope that had a red dot in addition to a reticle. This was a stop gap optic after the need arose in Mogadishu Somalia for better target ID vs a red dot sight in the street fighting of that battle. Eventually Leupold offered an optic ( the CQT) at Deltas request to fill this need. It didn’t really answer the mail for Delta so I approached Schmidt & Bender on the Units behalf to build a more suitable optic. This is how the S&B Short Dot was born.

Delta played a critical early role in the SPR program ( later Mk12) that we know of today. In typical Unit fashion they did it quietly without books, movies and public spectacles of ‘who shot who’ played out for the world to see. The True Quiet Professionals.

-Larry Vickers, US Army MSG (Ret)
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-5-RifleLength-Tube-Free-Float-Handguard-For-223-Knurled-US-Seller-/282830352411

ebay. love it. threw it on, drilled a bipod adapter hole and ran it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Found an example of a later one, but with a flat top upper, ARMS scope rail base.

FPS cut carbon fiber tube.

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/image11.jpg

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/image21-440x313.jpg

LAV comments:
View Quote
Armalite fiberglass handguard, fairly common on delta m4s.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Built one of those a year or so ago, sold the upper to Geno.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top