Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2017 1:40:40 PM EDT
I have an A2 upper with the big head forward assist that is milled flat to work with an A2 lower. What colt lower did this likely come on from the factory? SP2? Something else?

4th from the left.

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It's my understanding that they were only used as replacement parts. As in arsenal rebuild.
They were never installed on factory new guns.
Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
To my knowledge, the large round head forward assist appeared when the Model 723 and 733 came into production. It was also used on the Model 727, the early M16A2, and XM4 (early M4). When they went to using the A2 lower, the large round head forward assist had to be modified to clear the area at the rear of the A2 lower. They would sometimes refer to these as "D" shaped forward assist. After a short while, the large round head forward assist was dropped and the small head version (currently used) was the standard forward assist.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
My issued Colt M16A2 had the large D head. S/N 6213499
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To my knowledge, the large round head forward assist appeared when the Model 723 and 733 came into production. It was also used on the Model 727, the early M16A2, and XM4 (early M4). When they went to using the A2 lower, the large round head forward assist had to be modified to clear the area at the rear of the A2 lower. They would sometimes refer to these as "D" shaped forward assist. After a short while, the large round head forward assist was dropped and the small head version (currently used) was the standard forward assist.
View Quote
Happy to hear this !
I put one on my 727 clone
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I know its irrelevant, but that one on the far right is SWEET!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know its irrelevant, but that one on the far right is SWEET!
View Quote
That would be a Model 605 clone of sort (not totally correct, but close).

This is mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That would be a Model 605 clone of sort (not totally correct, but close).

This is mine.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/605b-290194.JPG
View Quote
I have an A1 lower that needs gray anodized to match.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have an A1 lower that needs gray anodized to match.
View Quote
Actually, a 605 needs a partial-fence lower to be correct. If you are not concerned about being correct, then an A1 is okay. Of course, you can always reprofile the A1 lower and remove the small portion of the fencing to get the partial-fence look and then anodize it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#9]
The early production C7 and C8 had them on. First issued in 1984.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The early production C7 and C8 had them on. First issued in 1984.
View Quote
Beat me to it.  I'd kill to get my hands on one.

I have managed to pick up some large round forward assists for the A1.  I was planning on flattening a side for a C8 clone but then Col Lutz mentioned they're fairly rare.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#11]
The upper I have is a big pivot pin commercial colt.

I was wondering which lower would have sold with this upper to civilians?
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top