Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2017 1:13:59 PM EDT
Go easy, gang, I'm just a civilian.

When a branch of the military decides to upgrade a rifle, do they just swap out the upper? Do they use A2 lowers & add an A4 upper to make a current issue rifle?

What happens to the leftovers? Do they ever hit the civilian market?

Thank you--I keep hoping for surplus parts but never see them. The parts from Canada can't come into the US.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes they use kits to upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Any idea where the leftovers go?

Group buy
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any idea where the leftovers go?

Group buy
View Quote
Captain Crunch at Anniston Army a Depot is used to mangle surplus/unusable weapons.  Surplus weapons also sent friendly regimes and through FMS.  I doubt you'll ever see  authentic US military parts kits sold in United States.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Drat, drat, and double-drat!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
When parts break they just replace the parts. Lowers last forever, so do the uppers.  Most units (even Infantry) don't shoot nearly as much as you'd expect so the weapons last a really long time.  The M4's are in the process of being upgraded to M4A1 specs which is a re-barreling and swapping out some parts in the lower.  I don't know what happens when a unit switches from say M16A2's to M4s, where the A2s go, but they sadly don't hit the surplus market, not even the parts that are non-NFA.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't know what happens when a unit switches from say M16A2's to M4s, where the A2s go, but they sadly don't hit the surplus market, not even the parts that are non-NFA.
View Quote
A lot of them end up in the hands of our so called "Allies" at that time, unfortunately, they end up being used against us to many times.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Lot of A2's in the ANA, AFAIK.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#8]
When we upgraded our M4s to M4A1s they swapped the uppers completely but kept the same lowers. They brought in engravers to add the A1 nomenclature on the mag well and crossed out the "burst", adding in "auto". The techs that came to do the conversion had no idea what was going to be done with the old uppers, as I had asked "for reasons". And they did a pretty thorough numbers check to ensure none were "left behind"
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Ohio Ordnance got some A2 uppers a few years ago
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Captain Crunch at Anniston Army a Depot is used to mangle surplus/unusable weapons.  Surplus weapons also sent friendly regimes and through FMS.  I doubt you'll ever see  authentic US military parts kits sold in United States.
View Quote
correct they go to Captain Crunch at Anniston Army a Depot is used to mangle surplus/unusable weapons.  thank Prez Clinton for that
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#11]
From what I saw on a show on the History Channel, the stuff getting crunched looked like it was rolled over by a tank and suffered an ied blast
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#12]
First they study the issue for about 10 years then they spend 14 million dollars studying the options. Then they choose an option everyone thinks is retarded.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ohio Ordnance got some A2 uppers a few years ago
View Quote
     Yep, I bought one,  a FN barreled upper minus the forward assist. I threw in a psa bolt group and charging handle and put a dpms teardrop on it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
correct they go to Captain Crunch at Anniston Army a Depot is used to mangle surplus/unusable weapons.  thank Prez Clinton for that
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember a mention in the American Rifleman in the late 70's about Carter have tons of M1 rifles, carbines, M14's and just about everything else too sent to Cap. Crunch. They had picture's of the input and the output, it was sad.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#15]
There are literally tons of small arms at ANAD. Most of the M14, M16A1 rifles, and M1911A1 pistols in storage are there. I got to visit last year but I only saw the DRMO and one of the mile-long warehouses built in 1942. It looked like the government warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. They used a forklift to get to the crate of Sage EBR stocks I was looking for.

I'd guess Ohio Ordnance bought the A2 uppers from a foreign government or domestic LE agency.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#16]
With the exception of older stuff because nobody bothered to update the system, small arms parts are Demil code "D", which translates to destroyed.

The only source for "surplus" parts are

Stolen Gov't property
Slipped through the demil process. Rare, but it does happen. With that, the GOv't might come looking for them.
Foreign imports. For example, M-16A1 kits from Malaysia.
LE guns that were loaned by the US Gov't. From what I have always understood, while an LE agency can convert the M16A1 into an M4, they have to be able to return the M16A1 in complete condition to the Gov't. How much that is enforced, I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LE guns that were loaned by the US Gov't. From what I have always understood, while an LE agency can convert the M16A1 into an M4, they have to be able to return the M16A1 in complete condition to the Gov't.
View Quote
Yes, they must retain the original parts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Would love to get my hands on some surplus parts...XM177 would be a great bucket list build.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top