Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2012 5:27:41 PM EDT
Ok, I've looked through the threads going back but can't find any info.

I'm looking to build an AR with a carry handle and want to know what are the differences in quality of A2 uppers. I've read that lowers are all pretty much the same as far.

But who makes the best A2 uppers? I'm looking for the prettiest A2 with M4 feed ramp cuts, I know that they're not required but I'd still like them anyway. I've read that GI receivers have different markings, but haven't seen what the different markings actually mean.

Additionally, are their any additional features that any manufacture's make on their A2s?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure others will chime in, but have always used Colt uppers.  
Anyone who has a mil contract to supply should be good.
So, sorry, I don't have a list, just a colt guy ;)
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ok, I've looked through the threads going back but can't find any info.

I'm looking to build an AR with a carry handle and want to know what are the differences in quality of A2 uppers. I've read that lowers are all pretty much the same as far.

But who makes the best A2 uppers? I'm looking for the prettiest A2 with M4 feed ramp cuts, I know that they're not required but I'd still like them anyway. I've read that GI receivers have different markings, but haven't seen what the different markings actually mean.

Additionally, are their any additional features that any manufacture's make on their A2s?

Thanks in advance

Only use M4 ramps if the barrel you plan to use has M4 ramps on the extension.  If your planned barrel does, PK sells a nice A2 with ramps.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 4:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
That would be correct, m4 feed ramps on the barrel. I'm planing on doing a not quite so traditional A2 build, Free float, DD front sight. Once I get it built I'll post it. I was thinking of getting Armalite Upper and lower but with so few details on manufacture and retail sites I wanted to ask the guys that build them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I would look at the PK Firearms A2 w/M4 cuts, as suggested above.
I just bought a flat top from them and it was a CMT.
Excellent piece and fast shipping.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Any advantage of the PK vs the Armalite?
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If they both have ramps, no.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes.
I doubt if you can get M4 cuts with the Armalite.
The PK offering suggested above is relatively hard to find.
Suggest you grab one.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
I doubt if you can get M4 cuts with the Armalite.
The PK offering suggested above is relatively hard to find.
Suggest you grab one.

All Armalite A2 and A4 uppers in my possession have M4 cuts. Call Armalite to verify if you have doubts.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Colt or FN. Both are readily available cheap now.. so why use anything else unless you already own it?? They are both excellent. M4 feed ramps are going to be a rare bird on a A2 upper, and are completely unnecessary. Mark a line through that requirement and forget about it. You do not need them, even if your barrel has M4 style cuts...
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
All Armalite A2 and A4 uppers in my possession have M4 cuts. Call Armalite to verify if you have doubts.

That is correct, I checked. Thanks.
The downside is that Armalite stripped upper receivers are $140.
The CMT that PK Firearms presently has in stock is $140 and it's complete with rear sight assembly, forward assist and dust cover installed.

CMT = Continental Machine Tool, a USGI contrator.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top