User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 37
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:30:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 03RN:
I just got my first Sba3 to replace my blade. Wow, awesome. I know they're not clone correct Solo but they look awesome.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/Screenshot_2018-12-01-11-19-04_png-757213.JPG
View Quote
I know, I saw you posting somewhere else that you got it, brother. Can't wait to see what you come out with.

So, you do like my clones? (I am almost afraid of calling them so and yet, almost all the parts other than the brace are clone correct)

ETA consider a split fix (or more, one for each SBA3) to look better and feel better!

ETA I own yet another top of the page, I'll make it worthwhile for you: Shitload of A2 orgiastic and iconoclastic shit. Enjoy (Blackhawk Down-ish stuff, it's what inspired me and inspires me - I always search and dig in the older times)

Blackhawk Down-ish by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Blackhawk Down Rules by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Blackhawk Down Rules by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Blackhawk Down A2 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Closing up A2 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

UP A2 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

ETA: as it can be seen from these screenshots, the 733s in the movie were with A2 barrel profile.
Not necessarily this was how it was in reality - we do know that many of these 733s were actually cut down A2's bought back by the production from Guatemala

BHD Scene by SoloDallas, on Flickr

BHD 733s by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#2]
And finally,
some more BHD stuff

Screen used BHD Ranger-M16A2s
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

M16A2 BH Down screen used hero rifle
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

BHD 733s
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice set up Solo!
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:46:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:55:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Yup, that's the source
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:57:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#6]
Busted A2 FH and FSB on bottom rubber duck.

CD
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:03:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#7]
My A2 appetite hasn't ended.
Put together this LEO vintage Colt 6520 together from parts (all or most original).
Upper is actually a very cool Colt Grey, so it must be kind of old - 1990s old, naturally.

Colt 6520 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
My A2 appetite hasn't ended.
Put together this LEO vintage Colt 6520 together from parts (all or most original).
Upper is actually a very cool Colt Grey, so it must be kind of old - 1990s old, naturally.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4875/46160172892_0bbf8f27ec_k.jpg
LEO Colt 6520 Carbine by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote
Wish I had a “like” button
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:52:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:

Wish I had a "like" button
View Quote
Appreciate you. And you know, I've thought the same many times when browsing through pictures and comments here at ARFCOM?

(thanks brother)
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#10]
So excited to have mine finally completed. Really excited to take it out and shoot it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks awesome!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Continuing with my obsession - a good one, at that.
I am adding those types of lights you see there - those Surefire 660 Weaponlights. I find them as sexy as fuck, especially because they mount right on the barrel.

Two A2 Things
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

A2 Thing
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:54:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#13]
Plus updated another A2 (pouch)

A2 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:27:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#14]
Gau sling added for kicks

Colt 6502 A2
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#16]
She's beautiful, captain. PS where did you get that 2XA2 hider? Looks great.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Took more than 2 years to finish, but finally completed my A2 clone. Genuine Colt A2 upper, FN barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:12:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#18]
Always after the looks of old (now with NSN Acog)

XM4-ish A2 Acog by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#19]
She's beautiful, captain. PS where did you get that 2XA2 hider? Looks great.
View Quote
Thanks. The A2X was already pinned on the barrel when I bought it.

I was looking for 14.5" Colt barrels to replace the 6520 barrel. Found one already pinned and I bought it for cheap.

Turns out it's a legit RO727 barrel (has the C in parentheses). Seller had no idea what he had, and frankly I didn't either until it came in the mail.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ankratz:

Thanks. The A2X was already pinned on the barrel when I bought it.

I was looking for 14.5" Colt barrels to replace the 6520 barrel. Found one already pinned and I bought it for cheap.

Turns out it's a legit RO727 barrel (has the C in parentheses). Seller had no idea what he had, and frankly I didn't either until it came in the mail.
View Quote
HA. More power to you then. Lovely rifle you have there.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:43:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#21]
You want some skinny handguards for you BHD carbine?  I have an extra set someone gave me for free.  Let me know [email protected].  My IM is full I think.

This page has a crap ton of great rifles and photos.  Woooohooooo!!!

Ankratz, that thing is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.  Very nice job.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
You want some skinny handguards for you BHD carbine?  I have an extra set someone gave me for free.  Let me know [email protected].  My IM is full I think.

This page has a crap ton of great rifles and photos.  Woooohooooo!!!

Ankratz, that thing is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.  Very nice job.
View Quote
Bruh!!! WANT (emailing you shortly)!
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I guess I am closer to what I wanted, now.

1990s A2 Carbine
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#24]
NICE!!!

Try my [email protected] email.  That's the one listed here now I think.  I may have given you a different one a while back.  Hotmail.  But hotmail has been acting up for me lately and not working well.

The carbine is looking good!
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I could be off about this, but it seems like that is a genuine Colt A2 grip.  And that is a beautiful A2.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#27]

I could be off about this, but it seems like that is a genuine Colt A2 grip.  And that is a beautiful A2.
View Quote
I concur. It's definitely a genuine 1980s-1990s genuine Colt grip and maybe the hand guards are as well.
PS Not only it's one of the genuine Colt grips, but it's one of those shinier ones, too. I have two of those, they're my favorites.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I concur. It's definitely a genuine 1980s-1990s genuine Colt grip and maybe the hand guards are as well.
PS Not only it's one of the genuine Colt grips, but it's one of those shinier ones, too. I have two of those, they're my favorites.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Probably is. The reciever, bolt, CH, and barrel are FN. The furniture is probably all Colt but I'd rather those old ones for period correct than something new and not period correct.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:43:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#29]
Originally Posted By ankratz:

Probably is. The reciever, bolt, CH, and barrel are FN. The furniture is probably all Colt but I'd rather those old ones for period correct than something new and not period correct.
View Quote
It's easy for you to check one day if you feel like it - just unscrew the grip and look for a 1 (number) inside a circle. That'll be vintage Colt.
Additionally, there is no comparison on a military clone rifle having used and weathered furniture vs flashy and new; time tested, scratched and lived up >>>> brand new and scratchless even if period correct.

I will say it again, there is no comparison. The used gear/gun will catch your interest forever with its scratches, lines, metal showing.

A plain new gun, even if found under the bed in the fashion of a Time Machine item is less interesting.

It may be just me, but as years go by and I watch even other markets (as for example, vintage guitars which is my line of work) I can see the same pattern.

ETA: adding image for the guitar-gun metaphor.
We're looking at my 1969 (original) Gibson SG Custom. Played over the years, as it shows. So much more character and personality.
And as a photographer, the objective amount of scratches, presence of patina, change of color of the parts etc. gives the item a definite pronounced three-dimensional presence that catches the eyes and makes it more desirable (as to say, I know there are also objective elements to how we look at things). PS This has nothing to do with the value of the original item that remains unquestionably higher with better kept items.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Added an OD nylon sling exactly as suggested above. Love it.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1908/44644676245_8bc16cca6f_h.jpg
A2 Nylon OD sling by SoloDallas, on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1939/43741280250_6c1ec3993c_h.jpg
View Quote
Solo- where'd you get the sling? All I find are the 'shiny/slick' nylon...
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By kokopelli:

Solo- where'd you get the sling? All I find are the 'shiny/slick' nylon...
View Quote
It's that one - the shiny slick one (got it here). If you think that it's too shiny/glossy, it is not as much in fact in real life. Pics make it look like that - but it will still be nylon, which is what I wanted for this particular one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:48:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#32]
Close up of the old Aimpoint CompM2 plus ARMS mount and stuff.
Haven't had one in 15 years I think, I am all over it again because of this build.

Original Aimpoint CompM2 on A2 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#33]
If you haven't zeroed it already try shifting it forward untill the elevation/windage housing hits the ring. That way it won't start slipping in recoil.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:19:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#34]
If you haven't zeroed it already try shifting it forward untill the elevation/windage housing hits the ring. That way it won't start slipping in recoil.
View Quote
Thanks!

(ETA done - and thanks so much for each and every one of your valuable suggestions and experience, brother)
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#35]
My pleasure. Thanks for the great pics!

Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:50:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Plus updated another A2 (pouch)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4858/46279726351_376907ad3e_k.jpg
A2 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote
I friendly warning about how you have that pouch mounted. Move the Velcro strap to the other side of the swivel or it might come off during carry.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:01:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:

I friendly warning about how you have that pouch mounted. Move the Velcro strap to the other side of the swivel or it might come off during carry.
View Quote
'Preciated!
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Merry Christmas y'all!

A2's and Optics
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Summit County Sheriff marked Colt AR15A2 carbine. I shoot on the range that contains their range so that's fun
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By waffles:
https://i.imgur.com/PHqnkLC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gbdRm0i.jpg

Summit County Sheriff marked Colt AR15A2 carbine. I shoot on the range that contains their range so that's fun
View Quote
Thoroughly loving rifle AND the picture it stands against!
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:31:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Thoroughly loving rifle AND the picture it stands against!
View Quote
It was a great show. I've seen Bob Weir a bunch, both with and without dead and co, and this was one of my favorites. Not to mention it was at red rocks, which of course adds excellence.

Don't make me choose between my fixed handles and the dead
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:04:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#42]
Originally Posted By waffles:

It was a great show. I've seen Bob Weir a bunch, both with and without dead and co, and this was one of my favorites. Not to mention it was at red rocks, which of course adds excellence.

Don't make me choose between my fixed handles and the dead
View Quote
I am the same way. I work with AC/DC (in the music industry) so I am with you: must have both (my music - which is my profession - and "muh" guns).
PS I have one of Jerry Garcia's devices that he used in Egypt. I actually make those now, which is why I got to work with AC/DC, Guns 'N Roses etc. You can look me up - my products are called Schaffer Replicas (Jerry used the wireless version of it a few decades ago!)
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#43]
I've posted this elsewhere but it might interest people in this forum.

"COLT AR-15" marked, stamped M16A2 with the "2" over a "1" (hard to see in the pic). Also looks like they've milled down past the AUTO marking and engraved BURST in the new area.

This was in use by an Army Reserve MP company as of summer 2017.

Link Posted: 12/31/2018 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#44]
It's easy for you to check one day if you feel like it - just unscrew the grip and look for a 1 (number) inside a circle. That'll be vintage Colt.
Additionally, there is no comparison on a military clone rifle having used and weathered furniture vs flashy and new; time tested, scratched and lived up >>>> brand new and scratchless even if period correct.

I will say it again, there is no comparison. The used gear/gun will catch your interest forever with its scratches, lines, metal showing.

A plain new gun, even if found under the bed in the fashion of a Time Machine item is less interesting.

It may be just me, but as years go by and I watch even other markets (as for example, vintage guitars which is my line of work) I can see the same pattern.

ETA: adding image for the guitar-gun metaphor.
We're looking at my 1969 (original) Gibson SG Custom. Played over the years, as it shows. So much more character and personality.
And as a photographer, the objective amount of scratches, presence of patina, change of color of the parts etc. gives the item a definite pronounced three-dimensional presence that catches the eyes and makes it more desirable (as to say, I know there are also objective elements to how we look at things). PS This has nothing to do with the value of the original item that remains unquestionably higher with better kept items.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326068/Screen_Shot_2018-12-21_at_6_15_24_PM_png-780774.JPG
View Quote
That's quite the bridge on that sucker.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Added an OD nylon sling exactly as suggested above. Love it.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1908/44644676245_8bc16cca6f_h.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1939/43741280250_6c1ec3993c_h.jpg
View Quote
Just browsing the older pics.

I noticed that the buttstock end of your sling has an larger loop.

It really doesn't matter but a parade sling should have a 4" loop from the j hook to the buckle. Which allows enough range of travel to adjust for kneeling,prone, sitting, etc and with some 550 around the delta ring allows for a more tactical 2 point sling
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:
I've posted this elsewhere but it might interest people in this forum.

"COLT AR-15" marked, stamped M16A2 with the "2" over a "1" (hard to see in the pic). Also looks like they've milled down past the AUTO marking and engraved BURST in the new area.

This was in use by an Army Reserve MP company as of summer 2017.

https://i.imgur.com/VyJXNnT.jpg
View Quote
Nice.

I got my 80% from NDS to clone my favorite A2 i had in Kuwait 06-07.

Semi-fence conversion mutt by Armed Ferret, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Just browsing the older pics.

I noticed that the buttstock end of your sling has an larger loop.

It really doesn't matter but a parade sling should have a 4" loop from the j hook to the buckle. Which allows enough range of travel to adjust for kneeling,prone, sitting, etc and with some 550 around the delta ring allows for a more tactical 2 point sling
View Quote
Sorry still out of state with family (FL).
What should I do? Replace the loop on the buttstock?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Sorry still out of state with family (FL).
What should I do? Replace the loop on the buttstock?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Nope, just adjust it a little
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:16:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#50]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1546904823227-1444747886_jpg-799880.JPG

Nope, just adjust it a little
View Quote
Thanks!!!

ETA: I know you served here - US - I didn't (I served in Shitaly, wish I was here at that time I would have enlisted 100%) so I value your input immensely. I just needed to let you know, I can't bear to not praise who spends their time helping me

Phil
Page / 37
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top