Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 37
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
SD, I have to ask. What's up with that selector and that odd looking takedown pin?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:
SD, I have to ask. What's up with that selector and that odd looking takedown pin?
View Quote
Commiefornia modification.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

Commiefornia modification.
View Quote
That!
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 4:19:57 AM EDT
[#4]

A2 Valkyrie
20” Shilen 1:7 barrel
Geissele trigger
Service rifle free float tube
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GI_Brat:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4382/9843-715699.jpg

A2 Valkyrie
20” Shilen 1:7 barrel
Geissele trigger
Service rifle free float tube
View Quote
I myself have been considering an A2 Valkyrie or 6.5 Grendel, don't know why just because I guess.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SSgt82-02:

I myself have been considering an A2 Valkyrie or 6.5 Grendel, don't know why just because I guess.
View Quote
I also did a 6.5 Grendel in A2. I've always liked shooting open sights and "just because" I could.

Here's my Grendel
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:25:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#7]
Added an OD nylon sling exactly as suggested above. Love it.

A2 Nylon OD sling by SoloDallas, on Flickr

A2 Nylon OD sling by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:10:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#8]
Picture was floating around the web - but I have re-filtered it.
Special Forces Museum, real Blackhawk Down gear when it happened in the early 1990s.

Enjoy.

Special Forces Museum, BHD Operation by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By pipboy344:

standard grey 5.56 NATO 1/7 twist chrome-lined M16A2 Government Profile barrel with rifle feed ramps, a standard A2 front sight post with bayonet lug, and a standard A2 flash hider.

Proper A2, not PSA with M4 feed ramps.
View Quote
Give Shark Arms a shout.
Might have the right A2 barrel you are looking for.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JLS81:

Give Shark Arms a shout.
View Quote
Need to thank you. *I* got me one. Got in touch with Chris there, extremely helpful and bought one right away. They still have a few real A2 complete barrels (rifle feed)
Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:54:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#11]
FIRST A2/A1-ish clone that I get with a shorter barrel. Of course it's a legal AR15 pistol, but you know how I get inspired by the movies.
Almost exclusively.

Heat-ish 733-ish by SoloDallas, on Flickr

ETA: What is seen here, is (additionally) all perfectly California compliant. We're looking at an AR15 pistol receiver (and registered as such under California Law) with proper markings (on the other side) legal to own in CA with all due modifications (33.3 Tactical Calcatch version 3.3) to make it compliant with all most recent regulations (other than, registering the rifle as an assault rifle). This is, in fact, an AR15 pistol with an SB Tactical SBA3 pistol brace.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
FIRST A2/A1-ish clone that I get with a shorter barrel. Of course it's a legal AR15 pistol, but you know how I get inspired by the movies.
Almost exclusively.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1961/45667884481_70b048d690_b.jpg
Heat-ish 733-ish
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote
Goodness....I absolutely love the hell out of this....its like all the perfect nostalgia mixed with the newness.

Damnit...I'm going to have to clone your clone.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:27:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#13]
Originally Posted By 5pt56:

Goodness....I absolutely love the hell out of this....its like all the perfect nostalgia mixed with the newness.

Damnit...I'm going to have to clone your clone.
View Quote
Yes, brother!
Now make sure you get the pencil-style barrel for it; this one here is the A2 style, government profile (i.e., still lightweight) one.
For the movie, they had pencil style but this is what I found.

Edited: I failed miserably: I watched again, they used the same style barrel as I have on here. Got lucky not even knowing!

And have tons of fun.

SD

ETA: that A2 grip, that's the original one to the 1985 Colt M16A2. It is in fact a take off from one of those military M16A2s. It is different from today's A2 pistol grips.
I know it's small stuff, but it may still count in the general look of the thing (still as well stressing the pencil barrel, I think).

I bought mine at Specialized Warehouse Armament, they still have a few in stock and they're very expensive, naturally, but I thought it was worth it for a number of retro projects I have.

You will find the A2 pistol grips here (new old stock): Specialized Armament Warehouse A2 Pistol Grip (1983-1998)

Robert De Niro in Heat with Colt 733
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:28:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#14]
But what really made me happy today, was receiving this long awaited, Capco (CO) US Military Surplus A2 upper. This would have been installed on an actual M16A2 but never made it that far.

So they are circulating around. This one is brand new, unfired, was still in its sealed plastic bag. I know we've seen these before, but for the price in my opinion these are gold (for the ones of us who are into retro's).

It's a dark, very dark gray (green gray maybe, the sweet, typical US Military green gray) - not Colt gray  or not this one.
You see it installed on my NDS A2 lower which is contemporary black.

Awesomeness.

ETA: Yes, I am on a roll
PS if it looks shiny, is because I just cleaned it in oil, but not the lower. So you see that striking difference. The type of paint (or anodization for that matter) would be the typical military, non reflective, matt paint we're used to.

Capco Military Surplus A2 Upper by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Give Shark Arms a shout.
View Quote
Left messages, no reply
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:43:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#16]
Originally Posted By pipboy344:

Left messages, no reply
View Quote
I may have gotten the last one; when I emailed them, they replied to me immediately and went on with flash purchase.
I got the Colt A2 barrel with FSP installed etc. Gov't profile - want to swap the HB in my Bushmaster pre-ban upper.

ETA FYI, there is ONE more upper like the one I just got, which I love so much. And I'm bidding on another one where unfortunately I had started bidding prior to seeing this guy.

Right here. Same, identical Capco upper (Government contract, 1999) as the one you see above in my prior post.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
That A2 14.5 upper, it's here. Love it.

Dayum I'm so... retro (yup, it's got to sit on a pistol, NO way to SBR here in CA)

14.5 inches A2
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#18]
That A2 14.5 upper, it's here. Love it.

Dayum I'm so... retro (yup, it's got to sit on a pistol, NO way to SBR here in CA)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4889/43953896640_5f71ee0407_h.jpg
14.5 inches A2
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote
Ordered my brace to clone your clone.

What's the barrel length on the bottom upper in the pic? 11.5"?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 5pt56:

Ordered my brace to clone your clone.

What's the barrel length on the bottom upper in the pic? 11.5"?
View Quote
So happy. It's inspiring to inspire.
YesSir: 11.5 (commando style length)!
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#20]
So happy. It's inspiring to inspire.
YesSir: 11.5 (commando style length)!
View Quote
Awesome, thank you!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:51:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#21]
FINALLY got my Colt upper and NDS lower refinished (again).
Time ago I had given in to cerakote but I just couldn't stand its glossy nature.

Now much better with classic Moly Resin that I love much more.
More pics tomorrow with the sun

Colt A2 Moly Resin
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#22]
Here we go. Lighting conditions are not optimal and these are taken with my iPhone, but still nice - will give you a more or less objective view of Moly Resin flat black-gray.
No comparison with cerakote; I will never do that again on a retro firearm, ever. It's the texture that really makes a difference here (I think) in approximating the original finish.

Original 1980s Colt A2 Upper
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Original 1980s Colt A2 Upper by SoloDallas, on Flickr

ETA: Adding comparison with another A2 - upper is Mil contract from Capco, 1999 (lower is NDS black anodized)

A2s by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#23]
For those using PSA stealth lowers, what A2 uppers are you using? I'm having a hard time find one that somewhat matches in color and "texture" if you will. I hate the smooth lower with the rough Colt-like upper.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By bravozero:
For those using PSA stealth lowers, what A2 uppers are you using? I'm having a hard time find one that somewhat matches in color and "texture" if you will. I hate the smooth lower with the rough Colt-like upper.
View Quote
molyresin?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:32:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#25]
View Quote
I don't think there's much you can do to make two halves match, unless you decide to go for a refinish.

I only did so with one of my clones - my vintage (grey) Colt A2 clone.
Couldn't find anything to match that grey 1980s upper, so I refinished both the lower (NDS A2) and the upper itself.
Naturally, this could/would bring the price of the original upper down - maybe.

Maybe not; it's on the eventual collector (should it ever be for sale in the future) to decide that.
If you look above, Moly Resin was my choice for that particular rifle and the results are stunning.

Adding picture here again.
There's other options too, but I think Moly Resin is cheaper, faster, easier and truly a wonderful shade of grey that is very desirable.

Original 1980s Colt A2 Upper on NDS Lower, Moly Resin by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I hope I am not bothering anyone with my consequential posts here these days; but it's obvious that I do have an A2 bug (and rightfully so, I may add) and hence, I have been researching, collecting etc.

So here is a different variation of what I posted above. It is an older (but unfired) Bushmaster when it used to be built in Maine. All upper parts are Bushmaster but the barrel, which I swapped for an original, unfired, Colt A2 government profile as the one that came with this preban A2 was a heavy barrel and, what was worse for me, it didn't have a bayonet lug (it can be seen in the pictures above).

Now it's kind of perfect and pretty well matching the NDS A2 lower it sits on.

M16A2 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

M16A2 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Adding more, actually: quick comparison of two of my now favorite A2 uppers, so that everyone can, for example, see how the Capco (1999, Colorado) stands against a black anodized Bushmaster upper. Bushmaster is top, Capco is bottom.

A2 Uppers (Bushmaster, Capco)
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

by SoloDallas, on Flickr

by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Keep em coming man, love the A2's!
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:50:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#29]
Originally Posted By theokami:
Keep em coming man, love the A2's!
View Quote
Awesome!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:50:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#30]
So again, more in the previous spirit of 'light investigation' (i.e., easy stuff) I am juxtaposing the uppers one to the other.
So we can all see.
From top to bottom, Bushamster, Capco, Colt (refinished in Moly Resin).

You can't draw conclusions based on these photos. Light was not uniform especially on the two most relevant uppers (for us to compare), the Capco and the refinished Colt.
I will (draw conclusions), for you, because I have them here. Despite the Capco appears to be identical (or close) to the Colt, it's actually darker. It's a slightly darker grey. Definitely NOT Colt grey.

However, it appears to be close enough to still put together a satisfying 'mixmaster' as the US Military might have had back then when A2s were en vogue.
I will therefore put them together and then, take more pictures.

Just for the sake of curiosity and some fun.
Just to remind the reader, the Capco is a US Military upper (surplus). The Colt was probably a commercial upper but with all the features of those early Colt A2 rifles (larger pin hole, large round assist, grey in color - very close to how I refinished it in Moly Resin flat grey-black - and other minor things typical of that era.

Clone A2s by SoloDallas, on Flickr

A2 Clones by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Clone A2s by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
So I found one, in case someone is interested. The closest I've found that matches the finish and texture of the PSA lowers is the Doublestar A2 upper. Probably not the best quality upper but it's 7075-T6 and fits fine on the lower, just keep in mind it does NOT have M4 feedramps. Excited to get this up and going soon!

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#32]

So I found one, in case someone is interested. The closest I've found that matches the finish and texture of the PSA lowers is the Doublestar A2 upper. Probably not the best quality upper but it's 7075-T6 and fits fine on the lower, just keep in mind it does NOT have M4 feedramps. Excited to get this up and going soon!

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46341452_10161087677815593_521931654239879168_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=ca884445fe77ffab3d404e5d0b8d186b&oe=5C73D872
View Quote
Love the lower.
Finally, makers of these have figured out that graphics all over the place isn't exactly the best way to go when it comes to clones or simply, simple, elegant guns of today's.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:59:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#33]
Update: USGI A2 sling thing

A2 USGI by SoloDallas, on Flickr

(I had seen this on BlackHawk Down, the movie; as an example, it still sits on this screen used, stunt M16A2 rifle prop)

Black Hawk Down stunt M16A2 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

BHD-M16-4 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:40:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#34]
Update: installed Capco upper (CO, 1999, US Mil surplus) onto NDS A2 lower, painted Colt gray (Moly Resin flat gray-black).
It does appear that the Capco upper is just slightly darker grey, which would still be accurate in a US Mil mixmaster A2.

Love it.

Capco Upper by SoloDallas, on Flickr

All in all, it's been some work over a few months - maybe one or two years - but I am finally, finally happy with what I have.
Considering that I am here in California, it's almost a miracle.

Over and out,

SD
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:35:52 AM EDT
[#35]
SD

Nice work!

CD
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:08:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
SD

Nice work!

CD
View Quote
Thank you Sir!
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:43:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#37]
Went ahead and bought another barrel (this time, a Colt FBI 11.5 surplus barrel, always from the great guys at Shark Arms) because I didn't really like the one that came with my 2nd hand 733 upper I had bought for my AR15 pistol, recently. I didn't like the finish of the barrel, the contour etc. Better to have the real thing, always.
Because the upper is a good quality upper from Windham Weaponry, I swapped the barrel out myself. Need a new gas tube but am getting one shortly. So this is work in progress, just threw everything on this one to see what it'd look like.
Always from the same shop, got a Colt BCG in a lighter shade of green grey. I truly go nuts for these phosphate finishes. It's what I truly like on these guns and these guns are all I like.

733 Clone-ish A2 pistol by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Colt 11.5 FBI RTI surplus barrel by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 3:09:50 AM EDT
[#38]
That's a real beauty!
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:51:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#39]
Originally Posted By theokami:
That's a real beauty!
View Quote
Thanks!
But as I discovered (and typically, always after the fact) the barrel I chose isn't appropriate for a proper 733 clone. Should have researched better.
Although a 733 model will be defined primarily by barrel length, the barrel itself wasn't supposed to be a HB but a thin profile one.
So I just bought one last night. I understand it's a rare item now (a Colt 11.5 barrel with .625" profile as opposed to my current .750" thickness) so it took me a while to find one.

Will be updating the pictures here as soon as I get the barrel and install it myself.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks!
But as I discovered (and typically, always after the fact) the barrel I chose isn't appropriate for a proper 733 clone. Should have researched better.
Although a 733 model will be defined primarily by barrel length, the barrel itself wasn't supposed to be a HB but a thin profile one.
So I just bought one last night. I understand it's a rare item now (a Colt 11.5 barrel with .625" profile as opposed to my current .750" thickness) so it took me a while to find one.

Will be updating the pictures here as soon as I get the barrel and install it myself.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326068/pix813645015_jpg-744186.JPG
View Quote
The other option would be buying the HRT barrel and having someone like d. wilson or adco re-profile it, for those who don't want to wait for the thinner profile to show up somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:12:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#41]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

The other option would be buying the HRT barrel and having someone like d. wilson or adco re-profile it, for those who don't want to wait for the thinner profile to show up somewhere.
View Quote
I had thought of that too and probably I will still do it in the future (you know when you get a bug about something and you want more of it) so I am really partial to the thinner, .625" barrel profile. But in my mind, it sounded (although I knew it could be possible) like a lot of work on a perfectly fine, new barrel ( I do own a brand new HRT in fact, as you see above!). So I just looked for the actual Colt thinner profile and found it used, last night (GB). I FO'd; should have it in days.

Will see what goes on with that thicker .750" profile. I was thinking of getting an A2 upper for it and install it in it; but I then read on older threads here that Colt never actually did that even with actual A2 uppers (with the actual A2 rear sight, not the C7 I have) and they kept using the thinner profile. So sending it to be reprofiled might actually be a good option for that kind of upper as well!

It's never over until it's over

ETA adding the A2 type 733 that I will, eventually, have to own as well.

Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#42]
And I am getting ready for the above. A2 original Colt receiver found (small hole).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Update: installed Capco upper (CO, 1999, US Mil surplus) onto NDS A2 lower, painted Colt gray (Moly Resin flat gray-black).
It does appear that the Capco upper is just slightly darker grey, which would still be accurate in a US Mil mixmaster A2.

Love it.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4853/45191045264_874e6f0614_h.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4823/45191054114_eb159b1485_h.jpg

All in all, it's been some work over a few months - maybe one or two years - but I am finally, finally happy with what I have.
Considering that I am here in California, it's almost a miracle.

Over and out,

SD
View Quote
That rifle length is BOSS!! Do you shoot your fine collection or just safe queen them? Perhaps a mix of both?
I got to say you build some incredible themed rifles! Kudos sir!
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:36:55 AM EDT
[#44]

That rifle length is BOSS!! Do you shoot your fine collection or just safe queen them? Perhaps a mix of both?
I got to say you build some incredible themed rifles! Kudos sir!
View Quote
Sir thank you so much you kind Sir!

I shoot them all. They're all mixmasters and bastards anyway - you figured - me being unable to own original AR15s here in CA (banned by name, all those precious SP1s and stuff - can't own them).

So I shoot them all as soon as I have time to go to the range.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:47:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#45]
Bunch new old stuff came in.
This stuff is so good to me that literally, I drool. Never thought it'd happen to me.

You never know. It's a bug (no! It's a feature )

The Goodness by SoloDallas, on Flickr

ETA: it ends up in this (pistol format, I have no alternatives here in CA - it's a SBA3, hence with carbine buffer - brace not shown for decency)

Colt A2 733
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Which aims at representing this:

BHDCommando-5
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:06:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#46]
I feel truly ashamed to have to show it this way, but this state doesn't allow me anything else.

One day I will SBR even my car.

733 Clone by SoloDallas, on Flickr

The upper is entirely Colt. FA Colt BCG, vintage .625" Colt barrel (in good shape) and a vintage A2 upper receiver complete of all parts. Skinny hand guards aren't Colt but I am looking. I am addicted to Colt.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:33:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#48]
After much debating with myself, went for the following configuration for both of my 733's
They are pistols, and it's all I can have from here.

733s
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:59:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#49]
Tidbits (sling), front sling loop, Colt A2 worn out grip,

Steele's Blackhawk Down 733 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I just got my first Sba3 to replace my blade. Wow, awesome. I know they're not clone correct Solo but they look awesome.
Attachment Attached File
Page / 37
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top