Site Notices
Page / 77
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:01:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: polishkebasa] [#1]
Double tap
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 3:38:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenSuiter] [#2]

Just finished this build.

Pinned 14.5 Windham Weaponry M4 Clone Barrel.
Unknown EE A2 Upper (square forge mark) w/M4 Ramps.
4 position Colt Extension w/ Brownells CAR Stock.
Everything else is Colt inside and out.

The lower will get changed, I just got two of the PSA Clone Lowers and threw one together to finish this thing out.

Clearly the optic is also not correct, however I’m good with that.

Surefire 660 has the Malkoff M61 head putting out ~400 Lumens. I highly recommend this conversion to anyone running a 660.

This was one the most fun builds I’ve done in a while, and to be honest the chin to stock weld ain’t that bad, makes for a very head up eyes up position. This should be a blast when I zero it next week.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Not quite there, but it's come a hell of a long way recently.
http://imgur.com/a/7PyZv3d

When I post from imgur what am I doing wrong? Does it need to be resized?
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 4:23:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenSuiter] [#4]

^^^

Posting the above photo for you man, hope you don’t mind.

Don’t know about Imgur, I’ve been using Image shack.

I’ve been using a direct link, and choose the Icon with the mountains, just to the right of the chain link when making a post.

Sorry if this doesn’t help.

ETA-  Nice build man.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreenSuiter:
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/7756/OoHY4A.jpg

The lower will get changed, I just got two of the PSA Clone Lowers and threw one together to finish this thing out.

Surefire 660 has the Malkoff M61 head putting out ~400 Lumens. I highly recommend this conversion to anyone running a 660.

This was one the most fun builds I’ve done in a while, and to be honest the chin to stock weld ain’t that bad, makes for a very head up eyes up position. This should be a blast when I zero it next week.
View Quote
Very nice.  I’m doing a pencil barrel version that will double as a training gun.  I think yours has a good mix of celebrating the original carbine while still being a viable shooter / work gun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#6]
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/8910/03RWoX.jpg

^^^

Posting the above photo for you man, hope you don’t mind.

Don’t know about Imgur, I’ve been using Image shack.

I’ve been using a direct link, and choose the Icon with the mountains, just to the right of the chain link when making a post.

Sorry if this doesn’t help.

ETA-  Nice build man.
View Quote
Gotta be an imgur thing, then. That's how I've been posting.

And thanks I still have a ways to go, but I'm enjoying it as I swap and add stuff. The chin weld is taking some getting used to. How do you like that Brownells CAR?
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#7]
^^^

The Brownells is nice, I had one of the MA Parts Car stocks and it left a lot to be desired, but then for 15.00 dollars or whatever it cost that’s to be expected.

Some of the prices people charge for a Colt N1 are crazy at times.

The Brownells is is great compromise, a little bit of rattle, I would say slightly more than a Colt Waffle like you have on there now, overall I’m happy with it. Is a good choice to get the proper look on these rifles.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 7:55:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polishkebasa] [#8]
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/7756/OoHY4A.jpg

View Quote
Looks good, Im about to pull the trigger on the malkoff drop in as well. I was debating one of the cheaper drop ins but I think I have decided that for a semi serious application It would be best to go with someone with a good rep in WMLs and actually build his drop ins to be able to handle weapon use.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the M61, it’s legit. This is in a completely dark room on a light grey wall.

You have to call the guy as his website isn’t setup for transactions, ships fast as well and a real nice guy to deal with.

Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the M61, it’s legit. This is in a completely dark room on a light grey wall.

You have to call the guy as his website isn’t setup for transactions, ships fast as well and a real nice guy to deal with.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/1232/RDXKvF.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/8818/GzwfEy.jpg
View Quote
@GreenSuiter, I've heard of brightflashlights how much did it run you from him? I was just going to order one direct from malkoff.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#11]
It was ~40 to 50ish, I honestly can’t remember the exact amount, it was very reasonable. Well worth it, I would not hesitate to buy again...
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Old photo I found from a Recoil Magazine article.

May go for this look if I paint mine...
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#13]
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/4986/bcfOgc.jpg

Old photo I found from a Recoil Magazine article.

May go for this look if I paint mine...
View Quote
I've been kicking the paint idea around since I started my project. Seems like the longer it takes me to complete it the more indecisive I get. I should have pained each piece separately so they are all just *that* much different, but still one cohesive design. If you go for it definitely stop by here first thing afterward! I'm interested to see.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:06:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: retroguy] [#14]
Would a paint scheme go only for Delta's 723s, or for the Rangers' 727s too? I think the Rangers would NOT paint theirs since they are more "by the book" with how they operate. From what I understand, painting of weapons was frowned on back then.

Sidenote 1: Did the weapon lights used during Gothic Serpent have a Butler Creek cover or no?

Sidenote 2: I have a Surefire 6P from the era. As I already have a 660 with a correct tape switch, I am considering selling it. Should I?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By retroguy:
Would a paint scheme go only for Delta's 723s, or for the Rangers' 727s too? I think the Rangers would NOT paint theirs since they are more "by the book" with how they operate. From what I understand, painting of weapons was frowned on back then.

Sidenote 1: Did the weapon lights used during Gothic Serpent have a Butler Creek cover or no?

Sidenote 2: I have a Surefire 6P from the era. As I already have a 660 with a correct tape switch, I am considering selling it. Should I?
View Quote
No idea other than sidenote 2. Don't sell it. Give it to me
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#16]
The only photos I have found of ANY group painting their weapons in the early 90s is from GW1.

Same guys in both pics.

Notice 723s.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Okay, guess Black Hawk Down was again wrong, not only with the optics but with weaponry painting as well. I will buy a Butlers Creek cover for my 660 and just run with it as well.

And I am definitely leaning towards selling the 6P, to help another out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 5:54:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RayJaxShooter] [#18]
Anyone have any issues ordering from Sierra Auction via proxibid?

I placed an order, paid for it, they emailed me making sure I was ok paying shipping, I was, they sent me an email saying thanks for your payment...and nothing.

Been emailing them back and forth all day...

Edited to add: they never charged my card either, I just want my light!
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
Depends on the element.

Sniper Teams and Recce units normally painted their weapons in Ranger Regiment and in The Unit, whereas the line and assaulters didn't, mission-dependent.  You'd see OD duct tape for silencing assault slings though.

I've seen things that aren't online where The Unit's Sniper Teams had a lot of bowflage painted on their suppressed and modified free-floated 723s, as well as M21s and early SR25s.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RayJaxShooter:
Anyone have any issues ordering from Sierra Auction via proxibid?

I placed an order, paid for it, they emailed me making sure I was ok paying shipping, I was, they sent me an email saying thanks for your payment...and nothing.

Been emailing them back and forth all day...

Edited to add: they never charged my card either, I just want my light!
View Quote
Did you ever figure it out?
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By USGI:

Did you ever figure it out?
View Quote
I did, to fess up it may of been on my end or theirs.

So when I won the auction, which wasn't a true auction the auction site (proxibid) requested my information to include credit card.  Then I recieved a message from Sierra via the proxibid site requesting me to ok the additional cost of shipping and to provide my address, which I replied, no biggy and gave them my shipping info.

I then got an email from Sierra saying "Thanks for your payment," with an attached invoice saying "unpaid," on it.

Some radio silence from there, until I reached out asking what was going on.  They said that I had never paid for the item, I stated I had provided my credit card via proxibid's site, and ok'd the shipping cost, received an email thanking me for my payment.  They told me I had to go to Sierra's website, use their payment tab, and pay for the auction by placing in the auction number.

To be clear, my credit card had not been charged at this point, no harm there.

Paid for the item, got tracking number within hours, and item itself I believe within 4 days of my payment being processed.

So, not sure if my screw up, but as soon as I was directed to the right direction they were flawless.  I'm not sure how I would of known to go to their website to pay for the item, nor was I ever requested too. Item was perfectly as described, I'll try and get some pics up soon.

TLDR: They are good to go, you don't pay through proxibid, once you get the auction won or select which item you want, go to Sierra's site to process your payment.  Tracking provided extremely quick and shipping was fast.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

Alumahyde.  
View Quote
Does anyone have close up shots of the original finish? Was it shiny or matte? My BRN-16A1 lower is grey and would be cool to match that. Then again, my upper isn't grey so it might not matter in the grand scheme of things.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Slightly off-topic, but related: would any M16A2s used by the Rangers also use a Surefire 660/6P weapon light? TIA.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Slightly off-topic, but related: would any M16A2s used by the Rangers also use a Surefire 660/6P weapon light? TIA.
View Quote
From training with them in 1995-96, I remember D cell mag lights and 100 mph tape.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#26]
From training with them in 1995-96, I remember D cell mag lights and 100 mph tape.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Didn't Ranger Joe's, off post sell a clamp and pressure switch adapter for a mini-Maglite?

Or did I dream that?

LOL. Sometimes I don't remember last week much less something from over twenty years ago.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:12:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polishkebasa] [#28]
View All Quotes
Could also do the hose clamp through the bottom of the hand guards, worked quite well for me through a retro 3 gun earlier this year, be advised tho if you don't lock tight it down it will work loose after a couple hundred rounds
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 5:14:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By polishkebasa:

Could also do the hose clamp through the bottom of the hand guards, worked quite well for me through a retro 3 gun earlier this year, be advised tho if you don't lock tight it down it will work loose after a couple hundred rounds
View Quote
hose clamped, doesn't fit back into a standard rifle rack.

100mph take is temporary, and easily done with stuff from the supply room.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
What Battalion?

Ranger Regiment started getting M4A1s in 1994, as did 18th Airborne Corps LRS.

I think it was already in the works before Mogadishu for 75th Ranger Regiment to get M4A1s.

2/75 started turning in M16A2s and replacing with M4A1s at least in 1994.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 2:02:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

What Battalion?

I think it was already in the works before Mogadishu for 75th Ranger Regiment to get M4A1s.

View Quote
3rd and RGT HQ. They were mostly carbines, with the occasional A2. Still with Aimpoint 5000s zip tied to the carry handle, and thread on suppressors.

Corp LRS at Bragg still had A2s in 1996 or 97 when I did Robin Sage as a G with a bunch of them. The only thing different was they had removed the sling swivels.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 2:32:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polishkebasa] [#32]
I just got my malkof m61 conversion in as well, really happy with it from a construction standpoint its great and the personalized note on the invoice was a nice touch.

I ordered the fitting ring as well which turned out as being required for my 660 which also fixed my flickering/bad contact issue I was getting with the OEM p60 bulb. Although it might just be that my light is a bit longer than spec but regardless it works great now.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#33]
PLEASE, can someone talk me out of this BEFORE I go down this rabbit hole...

I found what I believe are some Rock River six-hole skinny carbine handguards squirreled away at the top of my office bookcase. I already have a Colt set for my RO727 build, but NOW I am thinking I need RO723 to match. The question now becomes what markings were on the left side of the RO723? Were said marking identical to the RO727? Pics gratefully accepted. Or should I sell these handguards? TIA.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Do it!

I’ve got three Luth AR upper receivers that just got delivered to my LGS that they ordered for me.  The parts are coming together!
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#35]
PLEASE, can someone talk me out of this BEFORE I go down this rabbit hole...

I found what I believe are some Rock River six-hole skinny carbine handguards squirreled away at the top of my office bookcase. I already have a Colt set for my RO727 build, but NOW I am thinking I need RO723 to match. The question now becomes what markings were on the left side of the RO723? Were said marking identical to the RO727? Pics gratefully accepted. Or should I sell these handguards? TIA.
View Quote
Larry Vickers does a detail breakdown of his personal clone of his issued 723 in his video with Ian from forgotten weapons. He says that the markings are exactly the same as they were on the gun that was issued to him and that he made note of it being marked m16a2 at the time

Markings disscussed at 20:53
Larry Vickers' Delta Force Colt 723 Carbine
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#36]
3rd and RGT HQ. They were mostly carbines, with the occasional A2. Still with Aimpoint 5000s zip tied to the carry handle, and thread on suppressors.

Corp LRS at Bragg still had A2s in 1996 or 97 when I did Robin Sage as a G with a bunch of them. The only thing different was they had removed the sling swivels.
View All Quotes
What Battalion?

I remember the zip-tied Aimpoint 5000s in Ranger Regiment at the time, as well as reflex suppressors.  Some of the Sniper Teams in 2/75 still had the reflex cans when we went down to Panama with them in November 1997 for JOTC.  That was a great deployment.

Are you sure it was Corps LRS from Bragg and not 82nd Division LRSD?  There were posters Colt had with 18th Airborne Corps LRS with M4s in 1995 already.  We had one in the motor pool in my first unit.  Maybe that was from testing the M4 and Colt did some photo ops...

We still had M16A2s in I Corps LRSC at Fort Lewis before getting deactivated in late 1997.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 6:48:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USGI] [#38]

I remember the zip-tied Aimpoint 5000s in Ranger Regiment at the time, as well as reflex suppressors.  Some of the Sniper Teams in 2/75 still had the reflex cans when we went down to Panama with them in November 1997 for JOTC.  That was a great deployment.

Are you sure it was Corps LRS from Bragg and not 82nd Division LRSD?  There were posters Colt had with 18th Airborne Corps LRS with M4s in 1995 already.  We had one in the motor pool in my first unit.  Maybe that was from testing the M4 and Colt did some photo ops...

We still had M16A2s in I Corps LRSC at Fort Lewis before getting deactivated in late 1997.
View Quote
Positive. There were 82nd LRSD guys as well.. "Division LRS" vs "Corp LRS". By then, they (Corp LRS) had fallen under the 525 MI BDE as well.

The pics floating around with Colt M4s and LRS guys with 18th ABN Corp unit patches I have never been able to figure out; I assumed they were part of some product demo, trying to make COTS sales.

I remember talking to those guys allot, as I was a 31C and LRS were one of two types of units (the other SOF, which I was in) that the majority of 31Cs went to.

Years later, I ended up in 3 corp LRS when it stood up again in 2008.

Anyway, during that exercise, there was even guys from 35th Signal BDE on Bragg saying they had M4s in their unit, but that they all got "stolen" by Officers and SNCOs. So it's quite possible the same happened in Corp LRS.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Just received two Colt Pencil Barrels in with non F FSB.

They are likely headed out to John at Retro Arms.

Debating on having both cut down to 14.5 and pinned, or going 12.5 on one.

I’m going to email them tomorrow.

I’ve got a ton of components ready to rock, 2020 is going to be Yuge!
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#40]

I think this one's finished.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By whoanelly:
https://i.ibb.co/6vvCnnG/IMG-0456.jpg

View Quote
Looks great, I will be chopping an a2 in the future to make a vfg.

Finally got to actually go out and shoot my 733 thing with the surefire 660, I picked a weird setup for my first carbine match
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Finally got to actually go out and shoot my 733 thing with the surefire 660, I picked a weird setup for my first carbine match
View All Quotes
https://i.ibb.co/6vvCnnG/IMG-0456.jpg

Thanks, yeah everyone on the internet was talking about what a great grip the Lonestars were, then I got one, tried it out and hated how it felt.  I decided to turn it into a gangster grip project for this clone.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Just picked up an old Aimpoint Comp M-XD on the EE.

Can anyone recommend a source or an alternative for an Aimpoint wide 30mm low-height weaver ring? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By SMart:

Can anyone recommend a source or an alternative for an Aimpoint wide 30mm low-height weaver ring? Thanks
View Quote
Try optics planet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 4:58:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SMart] [#45]

Try optics planet.
View Quote
Tried that and it appears Aimpoint has discontinued the X-wide weaver ring mount.

From the Recoil Magazine article, the mount from picture below is a “30mm Weaver split ring mount” which seems to place the Aimpoints as low as possible which is what I’m looking for.

Can anyone help identify the exact mount used above? All I find are thin scope mounts. Would prefer a wider slip-ring mount as pictured. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#46]
^^^

I searched for that same ring for a long time, could not find it. If it was in fact a Weaver product it is not made made any more.

Closest thing I could find that had a similar appearance was a mount made by GG&G, however it was too tall for mounting on the Arms Mount.

To get the aimpoint as low as possible to the rail I went with a set of Leupold QRW rings.

My rifle is posted near the top of this page for reference.

I have the other ring sitting unused, if you want it send me DM and I’ll send it to you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#47]
DM inbound! Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:56:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nightshade1] [#48]
Originally Posted By SMart:

View Quote
Trijicon made them awhile back for their old Tri-Power red dot sight, same shape and height. I bought it on the EE, I don't know where to find them.

(Found one on eBay, sending a DM)
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Ordered the Tripower Mount! Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks a ton guys! Will post pics once I get it in.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Comp M-XD I got on the equipment exchange ended up coming with the original Aimpoint low weaver split ring as well! I have the Trijicon 30mm ring coming in soon, if anyone is interested for their build shoot me an IM.

(Ignore the trigger guard, punching out the Magpul one isn’t as easy as it looks without a block. Working on it)
Page / 77
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top