Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the info!

I dont shoot it enough to really be a problem so maybe it a non starter in my case.
View Quote
No problem. Just watch the BCG key. If it mushrooms. Call LMT.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#2]
@TVNC_Augee

Who would you suggest to do barrel nitrated?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I know you tagged TVNC but it depends on your firing schedule...if you just plink with it... I doubt you'll wear it out...but if it train with it...take class with it...and your firing schedule is high...I would recommended nitriding it...but remember...it will void your HK warranty.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#4]
If this works out, I plan to send the barrel to ADCO to have it shortened and a lighter profile.  This would be my main shooter for a while.  I plan on some classes.  3-4,000 rds maybe more a year apart from classes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
LMT. monolithic rail, heavy profiled chromelined barrel, MarsL lower is better, not overgassed, probably lighter, USA owned company, easier to get parts, ability to switch to DI and other calibers, don't have to immediately upgrade the barrel, trigger, rail. HK has the cool factor but for shooting a lot, classes, and needing to replace stuff, etc, then LMT all day.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats!  Nice rifle.  Now take it out and shoot it some, and let us know how it does.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats...HK makes a good firearm.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#9]
When you get your bbl work done id have them machine off the dumb barrel tab.  I didn’t have mine removed because I figured it didn’t matter but I see it and it sickatates me.  It’s like the man is holding his finger a 1/2” from my eye and saying “I’m not touching you, I’m not touching you.”  It doesn’t matter, he’s not touching me, but I still want to tell him to fuck off.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When you get your bbl work done id have them machine off the dumb barrel tab.  I didn't have mine removed because I figured it didn't matter but I see it and it sickatates me.  It's like the man is holding his finger a 1/2" from my eye and saying "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you."  It doesn't matter, he's not touching me, but I still want to tell him to fuck off.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip.  I'll be sure to do that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Now you can let me know where the LMT piston gun is on sale so I can go buy it!
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Jay's Sporting Goods in Clare MI....might be a long drive for you though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do they have a website?
Are they on Gunbroker?
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do they have a website?
Are they on Gunbroker?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do they have a website?
Are they on Gunbroker?
I can find out.  Here is the website

https://jayssportinggoods.com/
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do they have a website?
Are they on Gunbroker?

Okay, thank you!
I wish you the best of luck with your HK.
I would rather have the Lewis Machine & Tool myself.
I have owned several for the last eight years, both DI and piston.
I have a DI MRP L7RA1A chassis with the stainless 5R barrel and Geiselle DMR match trigger that is the most accurate 5.56NATO AR that I own.
I have another LMT CQB-16 Piston gun that is my favorite general-purpose do-everything-well rifle that is my primary.
Both are standard cheese-grater handguards that I cover with Magpul XT rail covers.
I am not a fan of slimline habdguards because they're too close to the barrel and transfer too much heat when the barrel gets hot.
Both of them are scoped rifles, so I prefer them to be a little heavier so they're less shaky when the scopes are at higher power magnification levels.
They're very accurate rifles and incredibly reliable with spare parts just a phone call away with stellar customer service.
LMT rifles are not into the trick-of-the-week/fashion-trendy/tacti-cool game like a lot of other AR manufacturers.
Reliable, accurate, smooth-running, battle-ready, stake-your-life-on-it rifles.
If I can find a good deal on an LMT...I am definitely a buyer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think Jay's was at around $2000 when I was there last for the 16" piston. It isn't a terrible price but for instate with sales tax it isn't that great of a deal. Sometimes see the piston LMT go for in the $1700s new online.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think Jay's was at around $2000 when I was there last for the 16" piston. It isn't a terrible price but for instate with sales tax it isn't that great of a deal. Sometimes see the piston LMT go for in the $1700s new online.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks!
I don't understand the hate towards the piston-driven AR.
I have not witnessed any of the wear patterns indicative of the "carrier-tilt" issues people have mentioned.

I do love the LMT piston design for the ability to quickly turn the gas off and on.
It essentially makes the gun a single-shot rifle so as to eliminate the bolt-slap noise when using a suppressor.
That minimizes noise at the point-of-origin to help conceal the shooter's position.

My wife and I just finished our first rifle class of the year last weekend.
We were on the range all day, from sunrise to sunset.
I used my beloved CQB-16 piston, my wife used a 16-inch BCM enhanced lightweight recce-rifle.
Both rifles ran flawlessly all day.

BCM's are fantastic rifles, but it needed the major cleaning of a typical DI rifle after a full day of shooting.
The LMT CQB-16 piston just needed a bit of cleaning around the piston and op-rod, but barely any cleaning at all around the bolt carrier and upper/lower receiver.
I still gave it a good cleaning and lubing though it barely needed it as part of my regular maintenance.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks!
I have not witnessed any of the wear patterns indicative of the "carrier-tilt" issues people have mentioned.

I do love the LMT piston design for the ability to quickly turn the gas off and on.
It essentially makes the gun a single-shot rifle so as to eliminate the bolt-slap noise when using a suppressor.
That minimizes noise at the point-of-origin to help conceal the shooter's position.

I used my beloved CQB-16 piston, my wife used a 16-inch BCM enhanced lightweight recce-rifle.

BCM's are fantastic rifles, but it needed the major cleaning of a typical DI rifle after a full day of shooting.
The LMT CQB-16 piston just needed a bit of cleaning around the piston and op-rod, but barely any cleaning at all around the bolt carrier and upper/lower receiver.
I still gave it a good cleaning and lubing though it barely needed it as part of my regular maintenance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks!

If you call Jay's, ask for Dave in guns.  Offer $1900 cash.  They dropped the HK because I paid cash not credit.  PM me if you like and I will try to help you out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
First, congrats OP!

Meanwhile, I know it may look like I up and "hate quit" the thread, but I've just been a little busy lately and haven't popped into the Piston forum as much.

I don't work at Sig, so there's only so much I can say (and my only Virtus-pattern gun is a Rattler upper, my MCX is a Legacy gun).

What I can say is... they're out there. Beyond that, my personal opinion is that they (the MCX) have been much better at winning special purpose contracts that would perhaps be more difficult in a "traditional" AR format (Rattler/PDW, SURG, LVAW, etc.) than as a GP weapon system, and while some units may have the option (they do) of messing with 5.56 barrel swaps and the like, I don't know that I necessarily see it gaining any sort of "widespread adoption" (I wouldn't say that the 416 did until the M27 either--there's a question of both numbers and GPF vs. SOF, at least insofar as US DoD if that gives some perspective) or replacing the M4A1/CQBR/MK 18 wholesale.

If anything, I'd look at where the SCAR program is: the clear winner has been the 7.62 variant, with the MK 16 more or less being dropped--however, the MK 17 still has a 5.56 conversion capability which pops up here and there and still gets used--not just in training, but operationally as well, but it certainly didn't ever "replace" M4A1-based weapons.

As I mentioned in my PM, it's been a few years since I looked at available vendors for this kind of work, and at that time, Jayson at IGF was still being highly recommended, and not stealing guns, so... there's that. I also have a barrel left that was pinned and welded by Randall at AR15barrels.com, so take that under advisement, hahaha...

I do understand ADCO has begun doing this kind of work, and Marvin Pitts would definitely be one of my first stops as well, though I don't really know what anyone is charging these days for this work--only that there are folks out there that can do it.

If you're a purist, Tom Bostic and other folks that cater to HK fandom will be able to replicate the exact profile of the HK416's barrel with all the weird cuts and all that that's involved, but tend to be more expensive based on again, catering to the fandom first and foremost. If you just want the barrel reprofiled to be lighter and shorter, it may be a little bit cheaper/easier--again, I don't know how much you want to "clone" and how much you just want a good, practical carbine, and I'm certainly not mocking the "clone" thing, but I had the benefit of having a machinist friend who doesn't do this full time, but has worked on a lot of HK barrels and was able to get a 14.5" 416 barrel to measure to replicate the profile correctly--and even then, I had him cut the profile under the handguards to match the "lightweight" profile, not the heavier "SOCOM" HK416 HBAR profile that most 14.5" barrels and early 10.4" barrels have.

Another option is simply to buy one of the Marvin Pitts or Brownell's 416-pattern barrels and rebarrel it completely and either sell or hold on to the original MR556 barrel for now, though at that point you're obviously not getting the proprietary HK barrel steel. The Geissele barrel nut wrench works on the HK416/MR556 barrel nut, as Geissele barrel nuts were based on the HK416's (the HK416 SMR was the first handguard they built, and the original MK1s were basically an AR15 version of that), and IIRC, the torque spec is somewhere between 81-82 foot pounds (the factory spec is metric ) and again, there are folks that can do the work if you don't want to do it yourself.

Again, my inclination would be to contact Marvin Pitts first, as he both does excellent work (I have barrels that he's done, though no HK barrels at this time) and is usually fairly affordable--and if he can't do it, he can probably recommend you someone that could, and I know he's been pretty deep into HK barrels lately making his own in-house with HK416 barrel extensions.

~Augee
View Quote
Augee......it's all good.  I know you are busy.

I'm not going for a clone, just a good solid all around carbine.  I plan to get the barrel chopped to 14.5" and lightened up.  No m4 what ever type of cuts.  I do want to keep it all HK although replacing the barrel and keeping it is not a bad option.   I think i will start with Marvin Pitts and ADCO.  If they do the nitrating, one stop shopping would be great.

Gotta go....I'll check back here later.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I would advise against nitriding.

I have had an MR556 barrel extension loosen after nitride treatment(broke free using a reaction rod at approx 50ftlbs) and experienced accelerated throat erosion causing the barrel to fail gauging in less than 6k rounds.

I also had the bcg and op-rod nitrided which destroyed the temper and experienced mushrooming of both the op-rod end and the "tombstone" on the carrier, leading to multiple failures.

The only fix was purchasing new replacement parts.

I highly advise anybody with an MR556 to contact mefarious arms for a new barrel (i am not affiliated)
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Just stumbled across this thread. FYI OP, I bought an MR556 upper last year, with the intent of having it cut down to 10.4 for one of my SBRs, when Marvin Pitts at Nefarious Arms announced he was going to be doing a run of various barrel length 416 type barrels (i.e. chrome lined, 416 extensions), and could fit them to either A1 or A5 uppers. I ended up getting in on the pre-order, and got the barrel about a month or two ago. There were a lot of delays in the process, communication was a pain at times, but in the end, the barrel is really fantastic.

He has a presence over at HKPro as an industry guy, with a thread about these barrels going on there. There may or may not be a couple from this run left over, but might be worth checking out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had great experience with LMT, and have had zero issues.
Customer Service has been flawless (they replaced another standard upper, because of cosmetic flaws in the barrel, that I bought here on the EE).
I also like that i can swap between DI and piston when I want.
HK is nice, but I like my LMT better. My $.02, FWIW.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top