Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine came yesterday. They sold out in a couple hours. I don’t care for the handguard.  Debating a lancer but $250 is outrageous.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I got in on the sale a few days ago. My SIG516 is one of my favorite AR pistols. I haven’t decided yet if I’m gonna build this one or stash it as spare parts.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine came yesterday. They sold out in a couple hours. I don’t care for the handguard.  Debating a lancer but $250 is outrageous.
View Quote

From what I can find, the lancer handguard only saves a few ounces, too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a couple of the Lancers.  Yes, they are expensive, but they totally change the feel of the rifle.  If you really don't like the quad handguard, then the Lancer, imho, is worth the investment.  FWIW, Midwest Industries is supposedly coming out with an M-Lok handguard for the 516 very soon.  No idea as to cost.  It might be worth a look.  But, for now, I am very satisfied with my Lancer handguards.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#5]
By the way OP is still here. Keep it goin folks!
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Are there going to be any more of these available?
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag for updates.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#8]
As of this post there are a total of "25" 14.5 uppers in stock here for 599.99 each.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Missed out on Sig sale for $399.  Was going to buy one when they were first available from AIM, but between the time I added it to my cart and I put in all my info. and credit card they sold out.  Did order one from Fin, Fur & Feather a couple of days ago for $599, which I think is a decent deal - although it still ticks me off that I missed the Sig sale.  Just saw this thread too late.

Checked AIM Surplus again a minute ago and it looks like they are again sold out.  In this current political environment finding stripped lowers, decent uppers, or cheap ammo has become pretty challenging.  Fortunately, I'm pretty well set for everything and bought the SIG upper because I already have a registered lower I can put it on and at that price I won't feel bad shooting the cr*p out of the gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Missed out on Sig sale for $399.  Was going to buy one when they were first available from AIM, but between the time I added it to my cart and I put in all my info. and credit card they sold out.  Did order one from Fin, Fur & Feather a couple of days ago for $599, which I think is a decent deal - although it still ticks me off that I missed the Sig sale.  Just saw this thread too late.

Checked AIM Surplus again a minute ago and it looks like they are again sold out.  In this current political environment finding stripped lowers, decent uppers, or cheap ammo has become pretty challenging.  Fortunately, I'm pretty well set for everything and bought the SIG upper because I already have a registered lower I can put it on and at that price I won't feel bad shooting the cr*p out of the gun.
View Quote

Even at $599 that is a great deal.  You are getting a heavy duty, quality built upper that will run forever.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks.  Upper is supposed to arrive tomorrow or Friday, and I'm really looking forward to attaching it to a lower I SBR'd a couple of years ago and putting a few rounds downrange.

Again, would've like to have gotten it for the ridiculous price Sig was selling it for a couple of months ago, but I do think this is a decent price - particularly since my understanding is that the 516 is a very similar design to the Hk416, and I think those uppers run about $4000 and that's for LEO trade-ins.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks.  Upper is supposed to arrive tomorrow or Friday, and I'm really looking forward to attaching it to a lower I SBR'd a couple of years ago and putting a few rounds downrange.

Again, would've like to have gotten it for the ridiculous price Sig was selling it for a couple of months ago, but I do think this is a decent price - particularly since my understanding is that the 516 is a very similar design to the Hk416, and I think those uppers run about $4000 and that's for LEO trade-ins.

View Quote

Agreed they are very similar.. if anything the SIig516 might be a tad better since its a bit lighter and the height of the picatinny on the receiver is more normal.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Upper arrived Thursday so of course I had to take it to the range and put a few rounds through it.  Very happy.  For a piston upper it was actually a lighter than I thought it would be.  The 14.5" barrel length is still pretty maneuverable and it was a pleasure to shoot offhand.  Recoil wasn't bad at all.  Other than twice when the bolt failed to lock back (I don't think I was holding the stock tight against my chest) the gun ran flawlessly through approx. 100 rounds.

Didn't really test for accuracy as I was running a red dot and shooting cheap ammo (mostly at 25 and 50 yards).  Anyway, not really looking for laser accuracy out of this upper.  If it can hold 2 MOA with xm193/Wolf Gold I'll be more than satisfied, particularly since I'm probably going to stay with a red dot on this one.  For $600 I'm just going to shoot the cr*p out of it and see if I can improve my speed, accuracy and follow up shots at distances up to 100 yards.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#15]
When they are set to "Normal" gas setting they are pretty tight guns, much tighetr than HK416 its high dollar brother.
(Plus your upper is quite new)

But unlike HK416 it has adjustable gas.
"Normal" works best with proper M193 and M855 and the like, does a good job to keep the gun of getting beaten up by the hot stuff.

When shooting lighter loaded commercial ammo you will sometimes see failure to lock back or even short stroking on "Normal".

The real light stuff like PMC Bronze and Tula will short stroke nearly all the time on "Normal".
(I shoot neither of them these days)

When shooting commercial ammo I usually run it on adverse setting.. and check the ejection patter to make sure its not too hot for "adverse" setting.
If it is I go on Normal.
Wolf Gold used to be almost full power and my current stocks are still fine on "normal".. but they are  a couple years old.. so they are the older batches which seem hotter..

All my steel even the Wolf Military CLassic 62gr (which is "hot" by steel standards) I shoot on adverse.

PS: On my LWRC M6A2 an fairly "open" gun my Wolf Gold223 would eject at 2 o clock! , yikes! And it dindt have adjustable gas.. the Sig516 is so good even when compared with the real big names..
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, that's good info.  I've shot a short barrel HK416 and my memory is that the recoil was pretty stout for a 5.56 round - definitely more than the Sig.  I have a pretty good stockpile of ammo (been hoarding for years) most of which is XM193, Wolf Gold, with a smattering or IMI Razorcore and 62 gr. CBC and xm855 so most of it is fairly hot.  Will try keeping it on normal setting, make sure I've got everything well lubricated and try putting some more rounds through it.  I also need to double check the lower I put it on.  I usually run an upper with a 11.5 barrel on it and may have a H2 buffer in there.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 3:20:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes. Sig specs a H buffer not H2 for their uppers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Has anyone had their barrel reprofiled? I am going to have mine cut back to 11.5, wondering if it might be worth it to have it slimmed up a bit under the handguards
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Has anyone had their barrel reprofiled? I am going to have mine cut back to 11.5, wondering if it might be worth it to have it slimmed up a bit under the handguards
View Quote

I had one of mine cut down to 11.5", I didn't have any profiling done, and it doesn't feel too front heavy.  I did order one of the Midwest Mlok hand guards, they are supposed to be 4 ounces or so lighter than the factory quad rail.

After I had mine cut down, it wouldn't cycle reliably.  I had to open the holes in the gas valve to get it to run.  That was kind of a PITA.  Requires cobalt drill bits, and those tiny ones are easy to break.

I lopped off the bayonet lug, and installed one of midwest industries new m-lok hand guards.

Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Back in stock at AIM surplus.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Not anymore. :(
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#22]
And back in stock.  I already own one, but if you have any interest at all you're going to need to move fast.  These generally go like greased lightning.

https://aimsurplus.com/sig-sauer-sig-516-gen-2-short-stroke-gas-piston-223-5-56-ar-upper-receiver-group/
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Grabbed one for $610 shipped from Fur Feather Fin.  If Sportsman's Guide fills my backorders I may put this one up, but rather one in the hand.  Still a helluva deal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Grabbed one for $610 shipped from Fur Feather Fin.  If Sportsman's Guide fills my backorders I may put this one up, but rather one in the hand.  Still a helluva deal.
View Quote

That's where I got mine as well.  Wonder if they'd had them continuously available.  Checked this morning and AIM is OOS again.  I suspect they only had a couple available since I received notice from AIM last night and 12 hrs. later they were gone.

Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I just got an email from Aim,  apparently I missed this thread, just found the thread searching for the consensus on these uppers.

I don't need one but tempted.

On the fence at $599

Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, just saw they were back in again. I bought one about a month ago at $599 (not from AIM).  I've put a couple of hundred rounds through mine and really like it.  Haven't really tested it for accuracy yet, but I'd bet it's 1.5 MOA with the right ammo.  A little heavier than a DI AR, but weight is still pretty good.   Very manageable recoil.  I did have a couple of times it failed to lock back after the last round, but I suspect once it gets broken in a little more it will be fine.  And, like most pistons, it stays very clean.

When you consider that this is very similar to an HK 416 (which will cost you $4000 for an upper) I'd say at $600 they are a pretty good deal.  Honestly, it's softer shooting than an HK416.

But if you want one, I'd put your order in tonight.  Last time they were in stock at AIM they lasted less than 12 hours.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Thinking about having one cut down, since DI isn't perfect with shorter barrels.  Can anyone definitively state if the factory SBR is 10" or 10.5"?  Its described as both on various sites.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like ADCO is not taking any orders to cut the 516 down at this time.  Anyone know who else can be trusted to cut one down?
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#29]
If I didn't already have a Caracal 816, I would be jumping on these to scratch that itch.  

That being said, it's still really tempting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Are these P&W?
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Are these P&W?
View Quote

@the444shooter

no, the muzzle device is not pinned and welded.  the provided A2 flash hider doesn't make it to the ATF-legal 16".  you have to replace the MD with something maybe 1/4", maybe 3/8" longer, and have it pinned & welded.

it is probably in the as-delivered configuration for military contracts, where they are not encumbered by silly ATF regs.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I think that's exactly right.  Originally built for military.  So either put on a pistol brace or pin and weld a muzzle brake that gets you up to 16".  Or do an SBR - but a 14.5" SBR seems kind of silly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#33]
3... 2... 1... Go... Back in stock at Aim, lets see how long they last
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Are these barrel chrome lined?

Not that it matters I already placed the order at Aim Surplus.

Took my 12.5” DI out and had some issues after shooting and letting it cool off it didn’t want to chamber rounds without a fight.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I got one from AIM last week. I'm thinking I'll cut it to 11.5.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@the444shooter

no, the muzzle device is not pinned and welded.  the provided A2 flash hider doesn't make it to the ATF-legal 16".  you have to replace the MD with something maybe 1/4", maybe 3/8" longer, and have it pinned & welded.

it is probably in the as-delivered configuration for military contracts, where they are not encumbered by silly ATF regs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are these P&W?

@the444shooter

Thank you—still very tempting.  3 new lowers inbound, so this will be a contender.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Are these barrel chrome lined?

Not that it matters I already placed the order at Aim Surplus.

Took my 12.5” DI out and had some issues after shooting and letting it cool off it didn’t want to chamber rounds without a fight.
View Quote

The sample of one I got several months ago is chrome lined.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I had one of mine cut down to 11.5", I didn't have any profiling done, and it doesn't feel too front heavy.  I did order one of the Midwest Mlok hand guards, they are supposed to be 4 ounces or so lighter than the factory quad rail.

After I had mine cut down, it wouldn't cycle reliably.  I had to open the holes in the gas valve to get it to run.  That was kind of a PITA.  Requires cobalt drill bits, and those tiny ones are easy to break.

I lopped off the bayonet lug, and installed one of midwest industries new m-lok hand guards.

https://i.imgur.com/26pdmaX.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks nice.  

What are the port sizes now on your 11.5?

Anyone know the width and height of the Sig 516 factory handguard?
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That looks nice.  

What is the width and height of the Sig 516 factory handguard?
View Quote

.087 is the factory port size on a 11.5
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Looks like ADCO is not taking any orders to cut the 516 down at this time.  Anyone know who else can be trusted to cut one down?
View Quote

Class 3 Machining is who I am sending mine to. The price is very reasonable and has a great reputation.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

.087 is the factory port size.
View Quote

Is 0.087" the gas port size in the barrel or one of the valve settings?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Have one of these coming in the mail today.  I do plan on finding an appropriate MD and having it pinned and welded.  Will this run with an H2 buffer?  I have one at home as a spare for my LDubs and can’t seem to find an H anywhere....
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Class 3 Machining is who I am sending mine to. The price is very reasonable and has a great reputation.
View Quote
How much? I've thought about buying a second and having it cut.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How much? I've thought about buying a second and having it cut.
View Quote

$90 shipper without gas block and upper. 125 for if its in the upper
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Have one of these coming in the mail today.  I do plan on finding an appropriate MD and having it pinned and welded.  Will this run with an H2 buffer?  I have one at home as a spare for my LDubs and can’t seem to find an H anywhere....
View Quote

I got one from Aim a few months ago and it had a semi auto carrier and it ran great with a H2 then I added a springco blue buffer spring and it was like butter. I tried the same setup with one I got last month but it had a full auto carrier and it was short stroking before putting the blue springco buffer spring in. Carbine buffer and carbine spring worked best on this one. I'm guessing the full auto carrier may be a little heavier . The holes on the piston adjuster look the same. Can't see gas port size. That may be the difference. I have one more to play with as soon as I get some Magpul pro sights.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That looks nice.  

View Quote

I didn't touch the gas port in the barrel, I opened up the holes in the gas valve.  I'll try and get the #'s when I've got a chance.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Sig CS rep told me that the gas port for the barrel itself is the same size regardless of length.  The gas is regulated for specific lengths via different gas valves.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I didn't touch the gas port in the barrel, I opened up the holes in the gas valve.  I'll try and get the #'s when I've got a chance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks nice.  

I understood perfectly from your previous post that you opened the holes in the gas valve and not the barrel.  

I'm also interested in cutting a 14.5 to 11.5 like you did so that's why I was asking about the port sizes in the gas valve.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

This post is what I'm referring to when I wrote I understood perfectly you opened the holes in the gas valve and not the barrel.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top