AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
BRN-180 Review (Page 9 of 13)
Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mudborne:
Any opinions on the best adaptor to use with a standard lower and if you want it to lock on the left hand side of the weapon?  Without modifications that require tooling (machining, dremel, etc.), please.  Would really like to use a stock close to the original AR-180 or skeleton.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Any opinions on the best adaptor to use with a standard lower and if you want it to lock on the left hand side of the weapon?  Without modifications that require tooling (machining, dremel, etc.), please.  Would really like to use a stock close to the original AR-180 or skeleton.  

View Quote

I would look into an airsoft adapter.  It isn't like there is any weight inside of the buffer tube.    Or spend big bucks and get a LAW.  You can tighten the tension if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#3]
This is interesting - went to remove the hand guard today during cleaning and it couldn't get all the way off because of the brake I installed. Still, made no difference because it allowed full access to the gas piston/rod which is what I wanted to get to. I could have just removed the brake if I had to get it completely free. I only posted in case someone maybe has not considered this and has installed a brake that is so big it won't allow the hand guard to even get far enough forward to service the gas system. This could be a problem in the field without wrenches.
In the meanwhile its not totally a bad thing that the hand guard won't come off the barrel as long as all the parts needing servicing can be reached.
This upper is really a snap to strip and clean and I love the way it reassembles.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 6:35:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#4]
Is there a trick to getting the muzzle brake off?  its not left hand threads or anything is it?  Mine isn't wanting to budge.  I did hit it with a torch a little, too.

ETA -
I got it.  It has a jamb nut.  So you turn it the opposite direction.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 6:49:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#5]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Is there a trick to getting the muzzle brake off?  its not left hand threads or anything is it?  Mine isn't wanting to budge.  I did hit it with a torch a little, too.
View Quote

@giantpune
see page 7, lower half.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:

@giantpune
see page 7, lower half.
View Quote

Thanks.  They did a really nice job making it not look like a jamb nut.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 8:32:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#7]
I'm gonna try to use a Tegra Arms lower for this BRN180 shorter barreled pistol. I'm curious to see how it will hold up being that it's a composite carbon fiber nylon polymer (whatever?). I wouldn't think it's a problem being that the polymer upper end doesn't get beat up and everything is contained within the upper.

Should be lightweight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I finally took the plunge and put some AR180B hand guards on my first gen BRN180S upper. Along with a bunch of other mods as well. Todays project was a fantasy mod. I had to paint the furniture so I went ahead and did it in 601 green. How do y'all like it?

Mods include

AR180B handguards, cut down
My hand guard end cap
NDS1815 lower that I designed and licensed to Nodak
My Fusion pistol grip
My AR18S flash hider
Airsoft knock off Law Tactical folder
Doublestar A2 shorty tube
HoloSun HS503BU red dot
My prototype 180 inspired pistol brace
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#9]
That definitely has a neat look to it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#10]
What's the weight on that  NDS1815 lower?
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Bigrix I think it looks good, I like the green and the look of the forearm.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:54:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#12]

My 10.5" BRN180S build weighs 5.5 lbs with optic. I haven't touched this Tegra Arms lower in years, but I don't think that it's going to be an issue (they break around buffer tube and rear pin area in normal ARs) because is doesn't get beat up much by the BRN180.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone else seen such a large flash under their handguard?

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dtux:
Has anyone else seen such a large flash under their handguard?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/235602/20201015_203524-1638030.jpg
View Quote

That indicates a gas leak. Either the gas block is mis aligned, or not tightened enough. There could also be a gas leak somewhere other than the gas hole. I would contact @brownells
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I'm currently working out the last of the details on my butt stock design.

This is my latest prototype.

You can probably tell I'm not much of a paint and body man. It still needs some touch up, LoL.

What do you think so far?
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Brownells:

No, that is not normal.  Of course the system vents gas under the handguard, but should not generate that type of flash.  Please PM for order details.
View Quote

He is shooting suppressed, maybe with the regulator on the unsuppressed setting?
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mercdank:

He is shooting suppressed, maybe with the regulator on the unsuppressed setting?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mercdank:
Originally Posted By Brownells:

No, that is not normal.  Of course the system vents gas under the handguard, but should not generate that type of flash.  Please PM for order details.

That's with the suppressed cup installed.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I am having the same problem you described with the upper not fitting into the lower.  I am most likely going to send back.  I bought their BRN 180-M hoping to avoid any fitment issues.  I assumed wrong it looks like.  Don't know if I would have had the patience to try 5 new uppers.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I am having the same problem you described with the upper not fitting into the lower.  I am most likely going to send back.  I bought their BRN 180-M hoping to avoid any fitment issues.  I assumed wrong it looks like.  Don't know if I would have had the patience to try 5 new uppers.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 4:24:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By shepherdman60:
View Quote

Well that answers my question, I had hoped that they figured that issue out by now.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By shepherdman60:
View Quote

Mine fits tight, but not too tight for me to not remove it install.

I think it's tight by design.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:50:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_Golf] [#25]
I'm not having much success with the BRN-180S. I returned my Gen 1 upper because it would not consistently group.

My first venture out with the .300BLK Gen2 BRN-180S seemed great- 1MOA 5-shot grouping with 145gr Wolf FMJ.

Second time out... not so much. Failed to achieve similar groups with 110gr VMAX, 123gr CBC FMJ, and yes, 145gr Wolf FMJ.

Maybe it was a bad range day. But my prior experience has me concerned. I will go over it carefully before the next range trip.

ETA: Closer inspection revealed at least one loose trunnion screw. I don't know the torque spec so I'll call Brownells tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Brownells_ar15:
19 in/lbs @Mike_Golf
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#28]
19 in/lbs @Mike_Golf
View Quote

Loctite required?
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 3:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PsRpOiGrRiAtM] [#29]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

Loctite required?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ahrion:
19 in/lbs @Mike_Golf

Loctite required?

Loctite is recommended for most other applications like that, so I would assume so.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Just wanted to post so I can follow this thread. Anyone get one of the new sexy FDE 180s uppers?
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By benbangui:
Just wanted to post so I can follow this thread. Anyone get one of the new sexy FDE 180s uppers?
View Quote

Mine was delivered this morning. Longest 12 hour shift I’ve had at work in a while.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Lol the worst!

Nice :) Let’s see pics when your done!
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#33]

I haven’t decided which suppressor or stock I’ll run yet, but I’ll start with the Saker and a SOPMOD and see how I like it. Once I’ve put some rounds through it and ran it at a class or two, I’ll start making some changes, until then it’s just a range toy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Heck ya!
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:04:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: benbangui] [#35]
Hey... so with all these ammo problems. Has anyone shot steel case threw these uppers much? How is reliability with steel case stuff?

I’m not worried about accuracy per say. Just reliability. Extra wear and tare not considering either. Tho I think I read on this thread someone saying the steel case was chipping away at the aluminum upper pretty good?
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I've put a few hundred of Wolf steel case through my 16" and didn't have one single hiccup. It's not extensive testing by any stretch but it's enough to where I'm honestly not that worried about reliability issues.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#37]

That looks awesome. Would love to get one for my BRN-180.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Just wanted to post some pictures of my new to me BRN-180 gen 1 and some stock options I hadn't seen here yet.

Nordic Compact Retractable Stock

AGP Arms folding stock

The Nordic wire stock works as long as the dust cover is in the closed position prior to collapsing the stock. With the AGP Arms stock, you should be able to fire with it folded as long as the dust cover is already open. The charging handle clears the stock fine.

As a side note, there is slight but noticeable linear play in the handguard.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:53:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: borden_bob] [#39]
My little shorty, love it! But I’d love to have that stock by BigRix !

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:40:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: badkarmaiii] [#40]
My 180S folding pistol build runs great.
Without a can, exposing the Silencerco brake, it's very soft-shooting.
Wish the handguard could clear the brake.
Oh well, guess it'll get cleaned just like the others: Not until it malfunctions.
Needs a better charging handle, too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#41]
If anyone is interested, here is a pistol build with:

Law Tactical Folding Stock Adapter
Battle Arms Sabertube
Gear Works Tailhook Pistol Brace

Attachment Attached File

and

AR180Parts.com Straight Charging Handle

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Can't remember where I found this pic but anyone know what kind of folding stock adapter it has?

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By -Shaggs-:
Can't remember where I found this pic but anyone know what kind of folding stock adapter it has?

https://i.imgur.com/RIFjnoV.jpg
View Quote

Not quite but close...

https://www.rainierarms.com/hera-arms-side-folding-unit-sfu-9296/
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Ya I saw that one and the SB Tactical one but I like how the one in the pic is so low profile. I almost didn't think it even had one until I saw the button.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

How does that work for deflecting the brass?  Lefty asking.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:41:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut284] [#46]
Originally Posted By -Shaggs-:

https://i.imgur.com/RIFjnoV.jpg
View Quote

Looks like the MDT
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:34:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AssaultRecon28] [#47]
Originally Posted By conda:
I'm really happy with how my brn turned out. I think the lower completes the look.

https://i.imgur.com/1P79Dpb.jpg
View Quote

Was this ever resolved? Same thing is on mine, doesn’t really appear to be anything more than cosmetic
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#48]
So, I'm looking hard at one of these AR-180 clone uppers. A thought occurs to me. If the buffer tube is non critical, it seems like a useful place for storage of spares (batteries, springs, cleaning tools, etc).

To this end waiting for Brownells to get their stock back up ( I see that's the case now ) I had purchased the LaRue R.A.T. stock with space for storage of a cleaning rod. The recoil pad is reasily removable allowing access to the space the buffer tube would be filling. So, with that idea, a rear accessed spares carrier would work in the buffer space, accessed while the stock is folded. But that space would change volume as the stock was telescoped.

In thinking about this further, with a folding stock kit for buffer tube configuration, the buffer tube could be accessed while the stock is folded. But would need to have something to keep the insert from falling out (buffer retention plunger would work).

Does anyone make any sort of inserts for buffer tubes as storage spaces?

Mostly a FAL guy so anything AR is kinda new to me.....they were always those dirty DI guns  ...but with a good properly designed piston system, I've opened up to the idea.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By montieth:
So, I'm looking hard at one of these AR-180 clone uppers. A thought occurs to me. If the buffer tube is non critical, it seems like a useful place for storage of spares (batteries, springs, cleaning tools, etc).

To this end waiting for Brownells to get their stock back up ( I see that's the case now ) I had purchased the LaRue R.A.T. stock with space for storage of a cleaning rod. The recoil pad is reasily removable allowing access to the space the buffer tube would be filling. So, with that idea, a rear accessed spares carrier would work in the buffer space, accessed while the stock is folded. But that space would change volume as the stock was telescoped.

In thinking about this further, with a folding stock kit for buffer tube configuration, the buffer tube could be accessed while the stock is folded. But would need to have something to keep the insert from falling out (buffer retention plunger would work).

Does anyone make any sort of inserts for buffer tubes as storage spaces?

Mostly a FAL guy so anything AR is kinda new to me.....they were always those dirty DI guns  ...but with a good properly designed piston system, I've opened up to the idea.
View Quote

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Stock-Tube-Adaptor-Picatinny-p/mi-stap.htm
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:46:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Hmm.....That would be a slightly different direction as I was thinking to have the lower remain compatible with a conventional AR upper... thus I was thinking of the LAW Tactical Folding adaptor. But it does make the access to the tube itself trivially easy with the RAT stock. Turn the front locking switch, depress the latch, withdraw the stock off the tube and remove the knurled end cap to gain access to the parts.

Do folks like those rail adapter mounts for stocks?
Page / 13
BRN-180 Review (Page 9 of 13)
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top