BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
BRN-180 Review (Page 6 of 13)
Page / 13
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Anybody looked into putting an agp folding stock on theirs?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe a better option?  Sig adapter

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-sauer-stock-adapter-1913-interface-folding-knuckle.html

And KNS sig rail adapter

https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/ar-mcx-stock-adapter-with-flange/

Cheaper option...
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#5]
No one is mentioning the new Brownells BRN 180 lowers???
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
I love that stock!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone tested return to zero with iron sights? Very interested in purchasing the 180S and mounting an ANVL UKON somewhere at the rear of the handguard closest to the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweet. I've tried the UKON on an AR and it sits too low for a comfortable cheekweld. Being that the top rail is raised, should be just right on the BRN-180/S.

Thanks Mike
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]
So I keep looking at images of the upper. Can any owners possibly confirm if the top rail is taller than a standard upper? If, not I'll probably bite the bullet and just get a folding stock that lowers the cheek a smidge for use of the UKON.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:40:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike_nds] [#13]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:41:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike_nds] [#14]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:02:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slade_w] [#15]
Measurement works for me brother. Much appreciated. Measured a flat top and got 1.838". I do believe its gonna work for me. Oh I'm itching to get one now. Just gotta wait for a Brownells coupon code haha.

Thanks again Mike
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#16]
It may have been discussed and I missed it.... any Left handed experience with the BRN180?  How does the brass eject and any issues with the charging handle?  TIA!

WP
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Full30: Small Arms Solutions: BRN-180 evolution

interesting discussion, however, shooting results at the end of the video are disappointing, 6MOA rifle...
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:

interesting discussion, however, shooting results at the end of the video are disappointing, 6MOA rifle...
View Quote
Maybe the shooter is 6MOA.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:43:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boris_Build] [#19]
smaller version of SA80 built on top of BRN-180 upper

Write-up: Let’s build Brit bullpup SA80

Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By DannerTrax:

View Quote
Frankly I am surprised that he got 6moa, if I saw recruit pull his shoulder anticipating recoil like that I'd kick his ass and send him on marshbrosok until he looses his shit.

Now as far as the statement in the vid that BRN-180 bolt is "the same", you can't be further from the truth. That bolt is 20% lighter than AR180 bolt. In fact if you look at similar bolts, they all fall within certain weight range for a good reason. A lighter bolt is ok for range time, but I'd not trust my life to it.

BRN180 bolt is on the left, can't miss it:

Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Boris_Build:

Frankly I am surprised that he got 6moa, if I saw recruit pull his shoulder anticipating recoil like that I'd kick his ass and send him on marshbrosok until he looses his shit.

Now as far as the statement in the vid that BRN-180 bolt is "the same", you can't be further from the truth. That bolt is 20% lighter than AR180 bolt. In fact if you look at similar bolts, they all fall within certain weight range for a good reason. A lighter bolt is ok for range time, but I'd not trust my life to it.

BRN180 bolt is on the left, can't miss it:

https://i.ibb.co/3R0PHJh/22.png
View Quote
I started a thread about carrier to bolt wejght ratio awhile ago. Consensus was ratio was not a big deal. And there are more than a few guns with low carrier to bolt weight ratios.  In the case of the brn, i would think it has a heavier carrier than the mcx. Btw this link has carrier and bolt weight data for many firearms: http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/topic/753-bolt-carrierbolt-mass-ratio/
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:07:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#22]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By DannerTrax:
in the video, he indicates that he confirmed similarity of results with another known gun gear reviewer.  I wonder if they both got the same reviewer's sample.

Brownells BRN-180 Piston Upper Receiver Review
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By col_hapablap:

I started a thread about carrier to bolt wejght ratio awhile ago. Consensus was ratio was not a big deal. And there are more than a few guns with low carrier to bolt weight ratios.  In the case of the brn, i would think it has a heavier carrier than the mcx. Btw this link has carrier and bolt weight data for many firearms: http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/topic/753-bolt-carrierbolt-mass-ratio/
View Quote
it's an interesting thread, although I do not understand how this ratio have much meaning. What matters more is the bolt/carrier total weight.

Where I am coming from was experimentation with very short AK gas systems, building AR rifles. "Manufacturing imperfections" slow bolt down enough that it fails to cycle. Quantifying "manufacturing imperfections" is pretty hard, especially on one-of builds. Heavier bolts work more reliably since they have energy to spare in case of imperfections, lack of lubrication, damaged magazines etc.

When your setup has flawless surfaces, well lubricated and dimensionally perfect, I can see that even smaller bolt/carrier would work, but reducing mass is not a good idea. On BRN-180, there is no luxury of space, so I can understand why bolt had to be shortened, but it would not improve reliability and by that I mean more than running few mags through, which is what most reviewers do, including the gent in the referenced video clip.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#24]

I just built this one on a AR180S.com ( BIGRIXS) 80% lower.
I did the Armalite engraving on it.
I will be testing it out tomorrow in the cold weather here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:18:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: conda] [#25]
Originally Posted By wparkinson:
It may have been discussed and I missed it.... any Left handed experience with the BRN180?  How does the brass eject and any issues with the charging handle?  TIA!

WP
View Quote
I have shot my BRN-180 left handed, no concerns with the charging handle, brass ejects back at an angle enough that you will not get brass in the face, but you may get brass inside your right arm elbow. I had a piece of brass land there and give me a slight burn. Other than that, no concerns.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By conda:

I have shot my BRN-180 left handed, no concerns with the charging handle, brass ejects back at an angle enough that you will not get brass in the face, but you may get brass inside your right arm elbow. I had a piece of brass land there and give me a slight burn. Other than that, no concerns.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:35:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Howlin_Mad] [#27]
I have two BRN-180 uppers, one 16" and one 10.5".

Took them to the range today to sight them in.  Used a Holosun with 3X magnifier on both of them.

Using my old standby reloads of 26.1 of WW748 with 55gr Hornady bulk bullets.  Has shot better than 4 MOA in every rifle I've ever tried, and the good ones have even done <1 MOA.

Good day today, mid 60's, no wind to speak of.  Got 2.75" groups at 200 yards with the 16", and 5.5" groups from the short one.  The Holosun on the short one has a slight flare, and had a little trouble with a consistent sight picture.  I'm sure it is capable of better.

Overall, very pleased, especially with the 16", about what I expected with the 10.5".  Good enough for what I will use them for.

With some development, they certainly would do even better.

ETA:  Guns have been flawless so far.  Even managed a fairly rapid emptying of an ATI 60 rounder with the short one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Seems to me bolt/carrier total weight is only meaningful in the context of the design of the upper. Comparisons to DI uppers or other piston uppers would be meaningless.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:48:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#29]
did a mockup of ACE folding stock on an 80% lower, just to see how it all fit together.  at first, had it folding to the left, but the combined width of the charging handle on the right, and the folded stock on the left, was bulky.  so reassembled it with the stock folding to the right.  the stock fits under the knob of the charging handle, but the upper bar of the folded stock would probably interfere with shooting: ejected brass would bounce off the stock upper bar, possibly back into the ejection port.  Dunno, will have to try it out when i get it mounted on a real lower.  But, probably, this stock would need to fold to the left to make it shootable.  Really would like to see a folding charging handle.  Replaced flash hider with a VG6 brake.

(please ignore the goofy pistol grip)

revised pic, with QD end-plate.

Link Posted: 3/7/2020 8:04:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mikes71Camaro] [#30]
Ive got around 500 rounds through mine so far. It was tight going onto the receiver at first but after a dozen full mags through it it has loosened up to be acceptable now. I have no idea what the adjustable gas plug is supposed to accomplish though even with a suppressor . It has two setting 1. work and 2. dont work. Accuracy is really ammo dependent. Scattergun with wolf 5.56 and reasonably acceptable 1-2 inch with 62 grain mil spec.

I used an MDT folder attachment and had to machine down the buffer plug as those things are made for chassis guns and not for AR's but it turned out great. It did take me a little while to get that stupid flash suppressor off until I realized the nut in back was a jam nut and not part of the flash suppressor.

This receiver is temporary until the stamp comes on my New Frontier folding lower.

Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Mikes71Camaro:
have no idea what the adjustable gas plug is supposed to accomplish though even with a suppressor . It has two setting 1. work and 2. dont work. Accuracy is really ammo dependent
View Quote
Does your upper not function with a suppressor on and set to suppressed gas? I found that with the rifle length using the suppressed gas piston cup suppressed would not eject, but it was perfectly gassed when with a SiCo Hybrid on it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Witht he short barrel it does nothing on suppressed mode even with the suppressor attached. I will say though that I am using a 30 cal Specwar silencer so internal pressures are probably not as high as with a 223 can..
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#33]
InRangeTv got their hands on one for the infamous mud test.

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDI0NjE5/mud-test-brownells-brn-180
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Howlin_Mad:
InRangeTv got their hands on one for the infamous mud test.

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDI0NjE5/mud-test-brownells-brn-180
View Quote
Curious what FCG they were using in that lower.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 7:21:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Just got the stamp back on my new frontier folding receiver AR lower .

Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got the stamp back on my new frontier folding receiver AR lower .

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1646x926q90/923/dZhFpn.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1253x705q90/923/5ocryj.jpg
View Quote
Posted those pics for you. Looks awesome.

Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:06:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mikes71Camaro] [#38]
How come my pics don't do that by themselves?

Form 1's are just flying out the door these days . One thing I would like is a straight charging handle. Probably have to make one myself.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#39]
With a straight charging handle mabye in a couple option i think i will pick one up.
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#40]
I asked in the industry forum about the charging handles and they said they were coming but didn't have a date. its the only thing I really don't like about it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:49:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mikes71Camaro] [#41]
Yeah they really need to rethink the whole AR-18 nostalgia thing and just go with it as its own weapons platform. No one cares about the bent charging handle. It hits some scope mounts and only makes sense if you have a right side folder and who would anyone want a right side folder? The charging handle has got to be the easiest part of the gun to produce. I'd be all over a straight one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah they really need to rethink the whole AR-18 nostalgia thing and just go with it as its own weapons platform. No one cares about the bent charging handle. It hits some scope mounts and only makes sense if you have a right side folder and who would anyone want a right side folder? The charging handle has got to be the easiest part of the gun to produce. I'd be all over a straight one.
View Quote
I recall seeing somewhere-or-other, that the bent CH also serves as the brass deflector.  so there's that...

the devil is in those pesky little details.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#43]
The AR180B functioned fine without it .
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Boris_Build:
smaller version of SA80 built on top of BRN-180 upper

https://i.ibb.co/W6vx4F4/19.png

Write-up: Let’s build Brit bullpup SA80

https://i.ibb.co/8cstGqP/18.png

https://i.ibb.co/74GDcSS/24.png
View Quote
Love it!
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Board at home so I started working on a little project.

Left to right. BRN180, Early/Prototype 180B, 3D Printed version to check dimensions, Aluminum version for range testing.

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
The one in that photo isn't ready yet.

I'm trying to get Armalite to do a run of buttstocks but so far they have been non-responsive.

We do have another plan just in case.
View Quote

Any updates on the retro butt stock?  Thx
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:01:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ROK_Fever] [#48]
I've read this thread, and there's a lot of information--some of which I agree and some of which is pure diarrhea. I pre-ordered my BRN-180s in June, 2019 and received my FIRST one in October. I tested it for accuracy--10 shot groups at 100 yards--and got horrible dispersion, 4-5 MOA MEAN RADIUS. I returned it to Brownells and received my 2nd BRN-180s in November, 2019, which tested much better, at 1.4 to 2.4 MOA MEAN RADIUS (10-shot groups at 100 yards). I tested with 3 different ammo types: 55, 62, and 77gr. By comparison my other, DI, AR-15 uppers measure about 0.6 to 1.1 MOA MEAN RADIUS about half of the dispersion. The BRN-180s 10.5" isn't a tack-driver like my other AR-15's, but the 1-2 MOA performance is acceptable in my opinion for most 100-300 yard work, and it definitely has some advantages. It definitely has less recoil than my similar, 11.5" BCM upper. I have a dedicated (SBR'ed) lower with a folding stock, and overall it feels "solid."

I'll keep it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ROK_Fever:
I pre-ordered my BRN-180s in June, 2019 and received my FIRST one in October. I tested it for accuracy--10 shot groups at 100 yards--and got horrible dispersion, 4-5 MOA MEAN RADIUS. I returned it to Brownells and received my 2nd BRN-180s in November, 2019, which tested much better, at 1.4 to 2.4 MOA MEAN RADIUS (10-shot groups at 100 yards).
View Quote

There is a good chance that your upper had a barrel that had either come loose or was about to. I saw accuracy fall off right as my barrel(s) were loosening themselves off the trunnion.

Quality AR15s can definitely be more accurate than the BRN180. I've found my 16 inch (not early production) to be around the 1-1.5MOA with 62grain Winchester bthp.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Ive had good luck with mine so far.

Page / 13
BRN-180 Review (Page 6 of 13)
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top