Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
BRN-180 Review (Page 13 of 13)
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

Found this pretty useful shooting today.  Charging handle cover that makes manipulating much easier.  From OTDefense.  Pretty good investment for $17.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AZ5326X2:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/499876/20221201_133317_jpg-2620271.JPG

Found this pretty useful shooting today.  Charging handle cover that makes manipulating much easier.  From OTDefense.  Pretty good investment for $17.
View Quote

Have you had any issues with spent shell deflection?
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Ejection pattern didn't seem to change.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 12:53:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: L45] [#4]
Thanks for the heads up on the charging handle cover!
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/499876/20221201_133317_jpg-2620271.JPG

View Quote
I came to post these. I bought 2 for my 180s and 180.   Makes it much easier to charge. My BS pivots to the right and I was concerned it would be an issue. Is isn't.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:16:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghostface] [#7]
Saved space and a bump. I finally built mine three days ago, I’ll take some pics and give you all a warning/heads up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't shot mine yet.

But just posting pics.

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:33:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Right hand people, are you running the charging handle like on an AK?
Charging handle placement looks more awkward than on an AK.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 1BoredGuy:
View Quote

Not usually. I'm much faster just hitting the bolt release like I would on an AR.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Charging handle originally was "meh" at best.  The extended charging handle I added to mine makes manipulation far easier and far more comfortable on your hand.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By michealj:
Not usually. I'm much faster just hitting the bolt release like I would on an AR.
View Quote

this is the way to do it.  not handicapped by the AK manual-of-arms.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Charging handle originally was "meh" at best.  The extended charging handle I added to mine makes manipulation far easier and far more comfortable on your hand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I just picked up the OT Defense nub. I thought it looked big and clunky before I put it on, but once installed I feel like it should have been there from the beginning. Made a world of difference.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Rosie87:
Has any cut, threaded, and pinned a 16" barrel version down to 14.5".  Any issues with the gas system?
View Quote

I'd like to know this as well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Victor39:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Victor39:
Originally Posted By Rosie87:
Has any cut, threaded, and pinned a 16" barrel version down to 14.5".  Any issues with the gas system?

That might depend on the muzzle device being attached. I know on my 180S, if I want or need to remove the handguard, my suppressor mount needs to come off first as the rail won’t slide over the mount.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#17]
PWS sent me a new op rod and gas valves for my 180S 223 10".
I cannot seem to install the update parts. Do I have to pull the gas block?
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By czgunner:
PWS sent me a new op rod and gas valves for my 180S 223 10".
I cannot seem to install the update parts. Do I have to pull the gas block?
View Quote
No. Have you removed the old parts?  If so, the new parts go in that way. LOL

I screwed with mine for a while, and I'm a cripple, literally partially paralyzed. Once I had it sorted it went together literally one handed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

That might depend on the muzzle device being attached. I know on my 180S, if I want or need to remove the handguard, my suppressor mount needs to come off first as the rail won't slide over the mount.
View Quote
I discovered this with my yhm mount.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TNRonin:
No. Have you removed the old parts?  If so, the new parts go in that way. LOL

I screwed with mine for a while, and I'm a cripple, literally partially paralyzed. Once I had it sorted it went together literally one handed.
View Quote

The new parts include a bushing that butts up again the receiver. My original parts did not have that. With that extra material, I cannot just put it back together and why I posted the question.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By czgunner:

The new parts include a bushing that butts up again the receiver. My original parts did not have that. With that extra material, I cannot just put it back together and why I posted the question.
View Quote
IIRC that bushing is too replace the existing already in the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:23:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kisara] [#22]
For those with the SB Tactical TF1913 triangle brace, how are you mounting the rear of a sling?  I have a lower with a KNS adapter on the back of my lower receiver, so I can't install a sling mount endplate like normal AR-15 lowers can.  I searched google images and although there are several photos of BRN-180 uppers on pistols with these triangle braces, none had slings installed.

This is what I have:
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:37:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Kisara:
For those with the SB Tactical TF1913 triangle brace, how are you mounting the rear of a sling?  I have a lower with a KNS adapter on the back of my lower receiver, so I can't install a sling mount endplate like normal AR-15 lowers can.  I searched google images and although there are several photos of BRN-180 uppers on pistols with these triangle braces, none had slings installed.

This is what I have:
https://www.brownells.com.au/image/cache/image/data/products/923000071_3-500x500.jpg
View Quote

I don't have the brace so I'm not sure if the CMMG option will work. Looks like the brace might not clear a qd swivel unless it's mounted high. Anyway, here are what I've found as far as sling mounts for that area.
https://cmmg.com/zeroed-picatinny-end-cap
I have this^ end plate with a Mid West folding stock adapter.
https://www.strikeindustries.com/si-ar-psa.html
Google image search turned up Kit Badger's improvised sling attachment.

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 3:37:17 AM EDT
[#24]

This is what I have:
https://www.brownells.com.au/image/cache/image/data/products/923000071_3-500x500.jpg
View Quote

Worst case, there's always the Strike Industries adapter that has a reversible QD swivel built in.  Looks like it'll add about 1/2" LOP from the photos.

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:20:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#25]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:

Worst case, there's always the Strike Industries adapter that has a reversible QD swivel built in.  Looks like it'll add about 1/2" LOP from the photos.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thefirearmblog.com%2Fblog%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F11%2FADAPTER-03.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=bc1400076b730d90cacdf2ea00b225705de5ef7ffd066f96542d0c0d25b977ee&ipo=images
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:

This is what I have:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thefirearmblog.com%2Fblog%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F11%2FADAPTER-03.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=bc1400076b730d90cacdf2ea00b225705de5ef7ffd066f96542d0c0d25b977ee&ipo=images

That's what I have on mine.

(And same pic from above)

Link Posted: 5/5/2023 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I looked closer at the back of the brace, and my sling tail fit right through.  I'm afraid the sling might pull the rubber off the end, as the whole brace is pretty flimsy.  Time will tell, but for now it will work.  Thanks guys for your help.

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 7/30/2023 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#28]
So I contacted PWS earlier and they sent me a bunch of new gas system parts and springs; a retrofit kit for earlier (mine was 2021 dated) BRN-180s that were having return to battery or bolt bounce issues, like mine. I'm happy to say that the parts seem to have cured my problems in that regard.

What problem wasn't fixed, was as soon as I put it into suppressed mode and put a can on it, I can't get more than 2 mags through it before the hairpin clip at the end of the gas piston pops off and disappears. It instantly turns the gun into a single shot in either suppressed or unsuppressed mode.

To start the day - I put 3 or 4 30 round mags through it unsuppressed; switched the gas plug to the suppressed position and verified that the clip was still in place and firmly seated when rotating the plug; put the can on and went through 2 more mags perfectly (this was the most I had run it suppressed or unsuppressed without any cycling problems; yay!)...but as soon as I tried to start on the 3rd mag suppressed, it was a single shot only gun and the clip had gone missing. Of course I forgot to bring more clips with it...

I don't know if it's the heat just causing the clip to deform and loosen up, or if it's something specific with shooting suppressed. The clip was brand new, the gun had never been fired with that clip in place, so it wasn't a fatigue thing. The handguard/barrel aren't close enough to firmly lock the clip in place and prevent it from drifting off, sadly. I'll need to play around with some things when I take it apart for cleaning...

This is on a 223/5.56 gun btw - shooting M855, either Federal or IMI (it was a mix of both in my mags).
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Evil Ed, what position does the piston wind up in once the clip pops off and it goes single-shot?

Just trying to gather more info and maybe help with some ideas. Obviously, the force of the gas should keep the piston seated in the gas block while the cup/op-rod move rearward.

Possible the piston or gas block could be out of spec and gas is leaking through the other, unused, setting hole (in your case the larger hole for the un-suppressed setting) and forward through the block causing the piston to unseat/rotate from the notch and knocking the hairpin clip loose. Or the piston cup is catching on the piston and dragging it rearward from the gas block just enough to alter the setting (and knock the clip off)?

Just spitballing here. Im an idiot.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 3:56:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JD42] [#30]
Piston rifle day.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I’ve got a SilencerCo SCO-15 lower that I’m considering putting a BRN-180 upper on.

Am a little concerned about the dust cover location with regards to the ambi bolt release. Has anyone tried this combination yet?
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By doubleajaybrock:

Brownells BRN-180 folding stock
View Quote

My problem with that stock is how do you attach a sling to it?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By joelad:

View Quote

Can you drill it out and pop in a QD sling swivel?
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Remove the buttplate
Drill the body with a forstner bit
Insert a Noveske QD cup
Reinstall butt plate
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone trying this folding charging handle from KNS precision?  
KNS BRN-180 charging handle
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#36]

I tried to find reviews of it on the boob tube. No luck. That'd be kind of curious to see how it functions since the charging handle on the factory is designed as a brass deflector. Once I install the nub on the end on both my guns it's been night and day as far as manipulating. But I do like that folding handle.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Got the KNS folding charging handle.  Seems pretty nice.  Folded detent is pretty solid to keep it in that position.  I need to see how it shoots and get used to that manual of arms.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

The same way the Early M16A1s did . . .
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Moldymuffin:
Evil Ed, what position does the piston wind up in once the clip pops off and it goes single-shot?

Just trying to gather more info and maybe help with some ideas. Obviously, the force of the gas should keep the piston seated in the gas block while the cup/op-rod move rearward.

Possible the piston or gas block could be out of spec and gas is leaking through the other, unused, setting hole (in your case the larger hole for the un-suppressed setting) and forward through the block causing the piston to unseat/rotate from the notch and knocking the hairpin clip loose. Or the piston cup is catching on the piston and dragging it rearward from the gas block just enough to alter the setting (and knock the clip off)?

Just spitballing here. Im an idiot.
View Quote

Sorry just seeing this - it doesn't move off of where it should be (so still suppressed), but the plug moves in and out and basically makes it a single shot after that. I think the can I have for it is just so restrictive that it pops the clip off when it moves since it's an older can and really overgasses things. I don't know if this is an issue only on the 10" guns, or if it effects full size ones too...I'm kind of tempted to get a full size upper to see, but I also don't want to spend another pile of money just to have the same problem and a gun I can't run suppressed. The whole idea for me was to try to move away from DI for suppressed guns, something I can shoot that won't take a bunch of solvents and a lot of soaking time to clean up (and maybe something I can let get cruddy and it'll still work ) but so far it's not working out
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

Sorry just seeing this - it doesn't move off of where it should be (so still suppressed), but the plug moves in and out and basically makes it a single shot after that. I think the can I have for it is just so restrictive that it pops the clip off when it moves since it's an older can and really overgasses things. I don't know if this is an issue only on the 10" guns, or if it effects full size ones too...I'm kind of tempted to get a full size upper to see, but I also don't want to spend another pile of money just to have the same problem and a gun I can't run suppressed. The whole idea for me was to try to move away from DI for suppressed guns, something I can shoot that won't take a bunch of solvents and a lot of soaking time to clean up (and maybe something I can let get cruddy and it'll still work ) but so far it's not working out
View Quote

Just giving you a data point. I shoot a Resonator R2 frequently with my 10.5 with no issues. Once my fat cat arrives I can give input on it as well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I've actually got a plan B for this...I pierced a length of 550 cord with the horseshoe clip and tied that cord off on the handguard, basically tying the horseshoe clip to the gun. I'm curious if it gets ejected, or bent, or something else happens to it. Since I can't really shoot the thing into a box until it fails to see what happens...this might be the easiest way
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Any sightings of the Gen 3 upper at shot show?
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Surprised to see that Brownells is showing their BRN-180 lower "no longer available."

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-receivers-parts/brn-180-stripped-lower-receiver-forged/

I've always thought this was the best looking option considering it more closely resembles the original AR-180.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:11:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Evil_Ed] [#44]
Oh wow you're right - I was actually just considering selling my pistol that I pieced together with a Gen 2 upper and stripped lower...I wonder if Brownells has a gen 2 lower in the works or something? Not that I'm seeing a whole lot that needs to be updated or changed on the lower to warrant a gen 2?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/Brownells-BRN-180-lower-discontinued-/333-305148/ Brownells thinks they've run their course? I'm guessing they're not getting any feedback on them one way or the other?
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Probably just didn’t sell well. I thought about buying a second when they were cheap but I am not sure if I want two yet. I am intrigued by the idea of the bull pup setups.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By BPR:
Surprised to see that Brownells is showing their BRN-180 lower "no longer available."

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-receivers-parts/brn-180-stripped-lower-receiver-forged/

I've always thought this was the best looking option considering it more closely resembles the original AR-180.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/44835/IMG_6779_resize_jpg-3118951.JPG
View Quote

Yes……the Brownells lower is what I used
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
BRN-180 Review (Page 13 of 13)
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top