Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you have the studies handy of DOD evaluation of 416 vs. M4?

I've put in multiple FOIA requests on this subject and get repeatedly stonewalled every time.
View Quote
Its a matter of cost even if piston better than DI SOCOM is cheap,
Hence why only Tier 1 get it HK416, just like only Tier I get Crye uniforms
everyone else in SOCOM Patagonia. (yes Cryes are better)

Individual Small Arms carbine competition 2010 SOCOM stated
No significant improvements warrant spending extra money to go to a different or better version of M4.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#2]
The mere fact the rifle is unobtainium is why this thread exists..

If you could pick this rifle up for $1500 at your local FFL, it would just be another lame option in a pool of thousands of ar's.

Just the parts kits are $2500.. And thats the SALE price.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/parts-kits/rifle-parts-kits/416-parts-kit-prod122969.aspx
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I guess I can't argue which is the smoothest shooter since I have no experience with the competition but I can't say the HK's recoil impulse is a deal-breaker or even think it's annoying in any way.

I think familiarity, reliability, accuracy and parts longevity is probably the biggest draw, plus HK's considerable track record for fulfilling military/LEO contracts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I disagree, head to head HK416 harsher than  LWRC, Adams Arms, FERFRANS to name a few,
Not comparing race gun to HK416, but duty style piston rifle to similar duty piston rifles.

Back in 2008ish at FT Bragg we compared HK416 to AA, and LWRC.
At time AA shot smoothest recoil, since then LWRC has really stepped up their game current LWRC very smooth.
HK416...no change
I guess I can't argue which is the smoothest shooter since I have no experience with the competition but I can't say the HK's recoil impulse is a deal-breaker or even think it's annoying in any way.

I think familiarity, reliability, accuracy and parts longevity is probably the biggest draw, plus HK's considerable track record for fulfilling military/LEO contracts.
I'm with Stukas on this as well. I've fired a factory HK416 SBR upper and their 16" MR556 many times, each time I walked away amazed at how harsh the recoil felt. I even had a chance to compare it to the 16" LWRC IC-E that I had and it was a night and day difference in follow up shots/felt recoil. I could still easily make it work but it wouldn't be an ideal setup.

The HK system is robust, there is no denying it but it is extremely harsh on the trigger components from the cyclic rate of the bolt and this is a known issue. For every fix that HK has implemented, another issue is created.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No significant improvements warrant spending extra money to go to a different or better version of M4.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have the studies handy of DOD evaluation of 416 vs. M4?

I've put in multiple FOIA requests on this subject and get repeatedly stonewalled every time.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not a fanboy of the 416 or anything. My question was at face-value, not interrogating him about it. I'm actually very curious to see how the rifles were compared in the study.

I've talked to folks from AWG to the Unit about the 416, but I haven't seen anyone post the data yet.

I agree with your assessment though from talking with the end users.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This has been hashed over and over and over again...

HK416 is the most successful Piston AR based platform thus far. It is pretty much in the arsenal of almost all of NATO's SF forces and some standing armies (like France and Norway).

So these threads are kind of dumb now...just saying...

In .gov circles...absolutely the go to weapon when budgets allows...along with SCARs and Tavors....the BREN2 is making some push as well...

But the HK416 owns the SF market for 5.56 right now...which makes sense...a lot of NATO SF units cross train regularly...which almost always spear headed by USSOCOM...
View Quote
SCAR16 died.  SCAR17's big claim to fame is that it's marginally better than our worst service rifle, and as far as I know the only .gov entity using the Tavor is the Capital Police.

So where are SCARs and Tavors behind used?
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Wasn't the 416 versus M4 testing what lead to the last magazine update? I thought there were numbers out there stating the 416 was measurably more reliable in adverse conditions, but the majority of the M4 failures were magazine related. The 416 still did better overall, but not by near as large of a margin when magazines were taken out of the equation.

ETA: It was still significant.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 4:03:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I find the 516 to be more robust.  Lighter and less recoil.  More interchangeable parts with AR’s,  uses standard AR Lowers and mags.  A better piston system.  Top rail is the same as an AR.   516 is a solid piston gun.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I find the 516 to be more robust.  Lighter and less recoil.  More interchangeable parts with AR’s,  uses standard AR Lowers and mags.  A better piston system.  Top rail is the same as an AR.   516 is a solid piston gun.
View Quote
I second this opinion.  I lusted for a HK MR556 but eventually wound up with three (3) Sig 516's.  They are great rifles!  Very well made, very reliable and seemingly very high quality.  Never had a malfunction with any of them so far.  Remember, one of the main designers for the 416 (Robert Hirt) was hired by Sig to design the 516.  It really is a very good AR rifle.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]
OK fellas not tryig to troll or anything... but am genuinely interested to be educated..

In what way is a HK416/MR556 superior to a SIG516 or LWRCiM6?
This is to the guys who really like it...

I've owned the LWRCi M6 loved it (except due to being nitrided wasnt happy with barrel longevity... back in the day I used to shoot a LOT and I shot out 2 barrels in fewer rounds than it should have taken IMHO, the 1st original barrel lasted long enough the second not so well at all)

I own a couple of Sig516..one Gen1 and one Gen 2.. aside from the extra weight compared to a DI (which I understand the HK416 shares) i cant see a way to improve on them.
I dont like that the Sig516 is nitrided.. to me thats ok in an economy gun ... but I prefer chrome but i like everything else so I got 'em ,... but again this is an area where the HK is no different..

Would sincerely like to learn from someone who really knows his way around these guns why they would be superior in some tangible way to a LWRCi M6 or a Sig516?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

SCAR16 died.  SCAR17's big claim to fame is that it's marginally better than our worst service rifle, and as far as I know the only .gov entity using the Tavor is the Capital Police.

So where are SCARs and Tavors behind used?
View Quote
Keep in mind, that's not the US Capital Police, it's the Pennsylvania Capital Police. They protect the capital building in Harrisburg, PA. IWI is located in PA. So, while I can't say for certain that the rifles were donated / sold at a significant discount to a very small agency located close by, it seems likely that played a role in the adoption.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OK fellas not tryig to troll or anything... but am genuinely interested to be educated..

In what way is a HK416/MR556 superior to a SIG516 or LWRCiM6?
This is to the guys who really like it...

I've owned the LWRCi M6 loved it (except due to being nitrided wasnt happy with barrel longevity... back in the day I used to shoot a LOT and I shot out 2 barrels in fewer rounds than it should have taken IMHO, the 1st original barrel lasted long enough the second not so well at all)

I own a couple of Sig516..one Gen1 and one Gen 2.. aside from the extra weight compared to a DI (which I understand the HK416 shares) i cant see a way to improve on them.
I dont like that the Sig516 is nitrided.. to me thats ok in an economy gun ... but I prefer chrome but i like everything else so I got 'em ,... but again this is an area where the HK is no different..

Would sincerely like to learn from someone who really knows his way around these guns why they would be superior in some tangible way to a LWRCi M6 or a Sig516?
View Quote
The 416 has a hammer forged chrome lined barrel that is considered to be one of the best in the world for accuracy and longevity. The MR is the same barrel minus the chrome lining (barrel is untreated) and with a ridiculously heavy profile (which plain sucks IMO). Just FYI.

The bottom line is that HK's version of the AR has been run through the gauntlet, gone to war and is currently in service with many elite military groups around the world whereas the (piston AR) competition pretty much hasn't been tested as long and hard and isn't being fielded in meaningful numbers.

Gun for gun, one may be slightly better than another in a couple of places but it's not enough for the .govs of the world to take a chance on the newer designs over sticking with a proven one.

Back in the civilian world, the HK416/MR556 has the panache and mystique of being the system of choice for operational operators so it commands a "collector's premium" and has a higher subjective value.

Objectively speaking, even a semi-only HK416 doesn't do much in civilian hands that can't be accomplished with a sub $1k Colt LE6920, much the same as other more expensive piston setups so any differences hardly matter.

The "look how cool this gun is... too bad you can't have one" factor of the HK416 is at play too.

That's my takeaway from it all, anyway.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The 416 has a hammer forged chrome lined barrel that is considered to be one of the best in the world for accuracy and longevity. The MR is the same barrel minus the chrome lining (barrel is untreated) and with a ridiculously heavy profile (which plain sucks IMO). Just FYI.

The bottom line is that HK's version of the AR has been run through the gauntlet, gone to war and is currently in service with many elite military groups around the world whereas the (piston AR) competition pretty much hasn't been tested as long and hard and isn't being fielded in meaningful numbers.

Gun for gun, one may be slightly better than another in a couple of places but it's not enough for the .govs of the world to take a chance on the newer designs over sticking with a proven one.

Back in the civilian world, the HK416/MR556 has the panache and mystique of being the system of choice for operational operators so it commands a "collector's premium" and has a higher subjective value.

Objectively speaking, even a semi-only HK416 doesn't do much in civilian hands that can't be accomplished with a sub $1k Colt LE6920, much the same as other more expensive piston setups so any differences hardly matter.

The "look how cool this gun is... too bad you can't have one" factor of the HK416 is at play too.

That's my takeaway from it all, anyway.
View Quote
I think you nailed it, and put what I was thinking into words, a few things I would of added, outside operational operators premium being that HK when it comes to Rifles has long kind of given up on the US Market from back in 94, so that also kind of adds to the mystique, and collectors premium. Also I would like to see PWS subjected to real world use, but I kind of don't at the same time since their products are still relatively cheap, and well worth the price, kind of think they are actually undervalued which is fine with me, as it makes it affordable to a poorer such as myself.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#14]
^ I have to admit, the more I shoot mine the more I come back to reality.

The 416 is a great rifle and all and I'd still choose it over my other ARs if I could only have 1 but it's not a vast improvement over your regular old (quality) DI gun... not in civilian-legal form anyways.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an LWRC M6A2 10.5”. I like it. Maybe a little over gassed with a SF suppressor but it has ran like a sewing machine.

If HK was cheaper I would own one.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 4:45:22 AM EDT
[#16]
What happened to LWRC  in the mix , I thought they are a Govt contractor for certain things already ????????
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What happened to LWRC  in the mix , I thought they are a Govt contractor for certain things already ????????
View Quote
If wikipedia is to be believed, they are in limited use in Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, the UK, and Singapore.  So yes, they do have contracts, but it's nowhere near as widely adopted as the HK416.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also I would like to see PWS subjected to real world use, but I kind of don't at the same time since their products are still relatively cheap, and well worth the price, kind of think they are actually undervalued which is fine with me, as it makes it affordable to a poorer such as myself.
View Quote
PWS uses stainless steel barrels, which the prevailing wisdom recommends against doing for any full-auto applications.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#19]
During the USMC IAR trials the HK’ barrel was the most durable.  It stopped being serviceable after 15,000 rounds.  FN was in second place on the barrel durability test.  It failed at 5,500 rounds. That is quite the spread.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

PWS uses stainless steel barrels, which the prevailing wisdom recommends against doing for any full-auto applications.
View Quote
Full Auto isn't a very prevalent choice in conducting precision shots, nor is it a practical option for many individuals in many different situations, but there is always the exception, so I'm not worried about it, I do understand the testing processes and I agree with you it probably wouldn't stand up well in that phase due to the barrels PWS uses. But as I've said any gain in popularity would make the price tag on these wonderful products significantly go up, and I'm not in any hurry to see any real world practical use out of it anytime soon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Full Auto isn't a very prevalent choice in conducting precision shots, nor is it a practical option for many individuals in many different situations, but there is always the exception...
View Quote
Sure, but a barrel capable of handling full auto can also be suitable for precision shots. The reverse isn't true if your barrel is made of stainless steel.

Chrome-lined chromoly (4150 or better) steel FTW.

It is the most practical choice for the greatest variety of situations, especially if it's on a select-fire weapon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#22]
It would be very interesting to see a youtube style meltdown video of a 416 upper... it's hard to separate fact from fiction on the gun's ability to deal with heat/high rates of fire with only anecdotal evidence and a tiny pool of owners who treat them like rare faberge eggs.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah I'm surprised there isn't one.

And they are rare eggs in the civilian world.

Is there not a bunch of M27 test data? They should've tested to destruction (unless the contract testing didn't call for that).
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah I'm surprised there isn't one.

And they are rare eggs in the civilian world.

Is there not a bunch of M27 test data? They should've tested to destruction (unless the contract testing didn't call for that).
View Quote
I'm sure there's all sorts of real world test data for all the 416 family guns, but it's not necessarily public information.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It would be very interesting to see a youtube style meltdown video of a 416 upper... it's hard to separate fact from fiction on the gun's ability to deal with heat/high rates of fire with only anecdotal evidence and a tiny pool of owners who treat them like rare faberge eggs.
View Quote
The 416 has been carried and abused by some of the most professional and serious organizations in the world for over a decade.  I am not certain what you think a you tube video will prove over looking at the resume the 416 has already amassed.

The rifle also replaced the M249 SAW in many roles within the Marine Corps.  The gun will work fine for anything you hope to put it trough unless you set off with the intent to break it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Let's face it.  The HK416 is the most proven piston operated AR ever made.  It's continued use by special forces all over the world and the US Marine Corps is sufficient evidence to me that it is indeed the gold standard.  I would love to have a 416.  I don't.  I do have three of it's cousins (the 516) which are great rifles in their own.  Why are we even debating this?
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Full Auto isn't a very prevalent choice in conducting precision shots, nor is it a practical option for many individuals in many different situations, but there is always the exception, so I'm not worried about it, I do understand the testing processes and I agree with you it probably wouldn't stand up well in that phase due to the barrels PWS uses. But as I've said any gain in popularity would make the price tag on these wonderful products significantly go up, and I'm not in any hurry to see any real world practical use out of it anytime soon.
View Quote
The PWS Mk 1 Mod 2 is gaining a lot of traction.  They've hit every major youtube gun channel and sold out on both the PWS website and the major retailers that carry them like Omaha Outdoors and Fortress tactical.  You can find a few over-priced ones on GB, but that's because they're over-priced.  Omaha Outdoors has one or two of the older Mod 2s that still have the Picmod rails instead of Piclok.  Mod 1s can still be found as they're less desirable, but still damn good guns.  I'd buy one if they were using good old chromoloy vanadium like everyone else, but I only like stainless for bolt guns.  My top choice is still LWRC, although you do half to sell both kidneys to afford it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
...  I am not certain what you think a you tube video will prove over looking at the resume the 416 has already amassed...
View Quote
I just want to witness the carnage.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sure, but a barrel capable of handling full auto can also be suitable for precision shots. The reverse isn't true if your barrel is made of stainless steel.
View Quote
Apparently USMC found out about this, ditched some Trijicon SDO from some M27 IAR, put on some vintage Leupold Mk 4 scopes (just because they were laying around after Mk12) and presto: M38 SPR. Apparently they still need to work out good suppressor setup for maximum reliability and no POI shift and maybe use some modern optics, but accuracy wise all requirements were met. Far from ready to field use, but shows potential.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:42:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Start at 59:48 or watch the whole episode. Just some good experience there
P&S ModCast 100 - Gun Nerds 5: AR15 Theory
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#31]
That video pretty much says it all.  The one guy (I assume he is Delta) gives the best testimony as to why the 416 is in a league of its own.  Anyone wondering about or doubting the 416 needs to watch.  Amazing, and very interesting, stuff.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 4:07:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
^ I have to admit, the more I shoot mine the more I come back to reality.

The 416 is a great rifle and all and I'd still choose it over my other ARs if I could only have 1 but it's not a vast improvement over your regular old (quality) DI gun... not in civilian-legal form anyways.
View Quote
that's the key point IMHO.
there should be no doubt the 416 is an amazing gun but are the few improvements worth the extra cost? at least in the 5.56 version..

and I dont care about the 60,000 rounds test... nobody is going to shoot so many rounds without basic regular maintenance ever.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

that's the key point IMHO.
there should be no doubt the 416 is an amazing gun but are the few improvements worth the extra cost? at least in the 5.56 version..

and I dont care about the 60,000 rounds test... nobody is going to shoot so many rounds without basic regular maintenance ever.
View Quote
I guess whether it's "worth it" depends on the person. If all you are looking for is raw performance in a civilian use setting, no it's not worth it. There are LOTS of great ARs that cost A LOT less to get into and unless you are storming the beaches as part of range day, you will get nothing from a HK416 that you can't get from a dozen+ other rifles on the market.

I put mine together more from an emotional and collector standpoint and to me it's worth it; I have no buyer's remorse anyway.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 6:57:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a 416, and it is a great gun. Does it do anything better than my JP or my MCX?  No, but it is a great gun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#35]
InRangeTV just posted a mud test video.. the HK didn’t perform so well..
Just a sample of one so not a big deal.. but this remind us that the perfect gun just doesn’t exist yet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Not for the price they are asking...
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
InRangeTV just posted a mud test video.. the HK didn’t perform so well..
Just a sample of one so not a big deal.. but this remind us that the perfect gun just doesn’t exist yet.
View Quote
You know as well as I do they never do anything the same with their tests.  The consistency of the mud, the way they put it on or handle the gun afterwards, there's a zillion different variables.  I'll bet I could take an AR15 and some mud, and just pouring it on the ejection port make it fail if I tried.  Sometimes they just try harder than others.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 2:34:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You know as well as I do they never do anything the same with their tests.  The consistency of the mud, the way they put it on or handle the gun afterwards, there's a zillion different variables.  I'll bet I could take an AR15 and some mud, and just pouring it on the ejection port make it fail if I tried.  Sometimes they just try harder than others.
View Quote
Of course.
That why I didn’t even mention that the DI AR15 passed the test.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I know the FN SCAR 16 is not a AR15. How does the SCAR 16 Gaspiston standup to other top shelf like POF, HK416, etc?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I know the FN SCAR 16 is not a AR15. How does the SCAR 16 Gaspiston standup to other top shelf like POF, HK416, etc?
View Quote
The piston holds up fine. I like the gas block/barrel design as well, since it has screw in gas jets.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#41]
yes, now we just need the great germans to give us a good semi version of it instead of the MR556. I'm waiting patiently.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
yes, now we just need the great germans to give us a good semi version of it instead of the MR556. I'm waiting patiently.
View Quote
They can do it tomorrow (same with proper civi G36 - HK293S SAR/TAR). All that is needed do to is to lift US import ban on "assault weapons".
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They can do it tomorrow (same with proper civi G36 - HK293S SAR/TAR). All that is needed do to is to lift US import ban on "assault weapons".
View Quote
+1

over here in EU the HK rifles offering is not that bad... the 416/417 is not on my wish list but I've seen some cool versions at the local gun store.. long or short, black or tan, keymod or picatinny..
also the G36 version was a nice thing to see at the LGS...

but those prices made me cry
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This has been hashed over and over and over again...

HK416 is the most successful Piston AR based platform thus far. It is pretty much in the arsenal of almost all of NATO's SF forces and some standing armies (like France and Norway).

So these threads are kind of dumb now...just saying...

In .gov circles...absolutely the go to weapon when budgets allows...along with SCARs and Tavors....the BREN2 is making some push as well...

But the HK416 owns the SF market for 5.56 right now...which makes sense...a lot of NATO SF units cross train regularly...which almost always spear headed by USSOCOM...
View Quote
The vast majority of US SOF don’t use the 416.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
but they built a factory in.....GA i think?
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
HK makes world class weapons. That said, I would argue that the LWRC is on par and in some respects a better choice with respect to the AP pattern piston rifles.. US made, high quality parts, excellent customer service, more caliber options and configurations, stable corporate structure, used by multiple LE and foreign governments. (US, Sweden, Jordan, Singapore, UK, Saudi Royal Guard)
View Quote
Came here to post LWRC.

HK is a well known company and has a quality reputation going back many years, so it's no surprise to see it adopted widely.  I like the LWRC design better though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Sure, it's the most proven piston AR out there, doesn't necessarily mean it's the best. The aurora comes from like ppl have said it being close to obtainium commercially and heavy use by Tier 1 assets on some of the most high profile CT missions of all times. Keep in mind the 416 came on the scene at a hugely different time than right now with a fraction of manufactures, research, and training programs, when SBRs didn't have the reliability seen today. It cemented itself as the proven platform it is

Nothing magical, it's just a great gun that got in at the right time
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The vast majority of US SOF don’t use the 416.
View Quote
Didn't say US...I said NATO...
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Considering it's popularity in .gov circles (despite being virtually nonexistent on the US civvie market), has the HK416 proven itself to be the best of the piston ARs? Or is it chosen by military/LEO worldwide when they want a piston AR simply because it's "good enough" and better options exist elsewhere?

Does the 416 get a fair shake from U.S. shooters? After all we can only get the nerfed abortion MR556 (or be rich and pay stupid prices for a grey market 416 upper) and most people only know what the 416 is due to video games and movies, not real-life experience.

What do you think?
View Quote
The 416 certainly has its merits though it days are number in the .gov circles as well.  DEVGRU is in the process of dumping their HK 416's and replacing them with a Noveske CQBR Variant.  Noveske .300 BLK have already been in service so it makes sense to go to a Noveske AR Variant across the board.

It appears that things are going full circle with the realization that DI Guns are probably the best way to fly with AR's.

The USMC may be the only .mil to stick with the 416 in the M27 IAR as the other services appear to be phasing it out. The 416 for all its positives are a higher maintenance weapon and not as suited for heavy usage as a quality DI counterparts.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top