AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No they don't.   Suppressors foul every operating system equally.
View Quote
Not if most of the gas is not getting past the op rod.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I really wish people would stop regurgitating this tripe.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I won't go with a piston system because I understand how a piston system breaks the mode of operation of the DI gas system.

Piston systems eliminate the backpressure .....

*SNIP*
I really wish people would stop regurgitating this tripe.....
This
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I run piston because I like to breath while shooting suppressed.  On my DI AR, I can only fire a few rounds before I choke.
View Quote
This. Eyes burn like fire
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my LWRC piston uppers get fouled from suppressed use, just not as bad as DI. all that back pressure gas leaves its calling card on the upper receiver internals.

what gas, getting past what op rod... are you talking about?
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Mostly, from experience.

Short answer is that it's not necessary - tens of millions of rifles run just fine on DI, and they're cheaper and lighter.

If you happen to run crappy ammo, or have an SBR or suppressor, where a lot of particulate residue can make it back into the receiver, then a piston helps stop some of that, at the cost of other drawbacks.
View Quote
Exactly this... I have a couple of PWS that I love,  it I'm not fooling myself into believing they do anything better than a similar quality DI in terms of real world performance.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Suppressors act like sponges an often create low gas situations that result in short cycling or not cycling at all. The piston can usually over come that. That's why people say what they do. You don't normally need them in a 16" or longer suppressed rifle unless you're running light loads.
View Quote
Find whoever told you this and cut them out of your life.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If I am running a 10" or smaller barrel...I am going piston...as a lefty...I also like the smaller amount of gas in my face...but a properly setup DI gun manages that pretty good though.

Look at LMT...when they submit to a trial...they have beat out FN, HK and others with their piston designs...as a DI system.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can personally vouch that indeed they don't.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:32:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Suppressors act like sponges an often create low gas situations that result in short cycling or not cycling at all. The piston can usually over come that. That's why people say what they do. You don't normally need them in a 16" or longer suppressed rifle unless you're running light loads.
View Quote
Just when I thought I had heard it all.

I truly need a magical energy absorbing suppressor, like the one you have described.

They should tack this post for all to read.

Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
what the fuck are you talking about
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow..........now I’ve heard everything.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks. I completely get that piston ARs aren't "necessary" but I really didn't want to get into that in this thread. I was just more curious about the statement that I have read and heard a few times that you don't even need to consider a piston AR unless you are doing a SBR and/or suppressor. Was just curious why that was and the physics behind it, or if it was just one of those old internet rumors that keeps getting repeated because it is on the internet.
View Quote
My guess is this is an old opinion.  Many forget the context, we take our short barreled reliable DI guns for granted nowadays.  Roll the clock back 20 years ago and there were significant reliability issues with AR15 SBRs- gas port sizes, buffer weights, barrel lengths, etc. hadn't really been ironed out.  In came the HK416 (its a relatively old design now) marketed as a reliable SBR to high speed bubbas using short guns.  To me this is where the fanfare came from regarding "pistons are better in short guns".

Also, if you shoot a lot on full auto you may begin to see the benefit of heat distribution in piston setups.  But this applies in 1% of applications.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:49:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I looked at quite a lot of posts on piston AR's, but did not see anything that mentions any issues/problems in using a cam roller with a piston BCG.  Are there?

I am not concerned with costs, and not only with the roller cams, but not with the difference between a DI and a piston.  If that makes a difference, why not just shoot a .22?  Just my way of thinking.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

What brand of suppressors have you been shooting?  First I've ever heard of a cab making a gun undergassed
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top