Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2017 10:45:39 AM EDT
Well it looks like everyone else was right and I was wrong.  After 2.5 years I've finally given up on defending Serbu and hoping that the SU-15 will see the light of day.  I contacted the company and was told by Jim that "we were making some headway for a bit, but there hasn't been any movement on the project and we still don't have any estimates."

Unacceptable...  guess my SBRed Serbu-branded lower with side folding stock that I built in anticipation of the SU-15 will be getting an ARAK upper now.  Needless to say I'm disappointed because I've been eagerly following the development of this upper since Mark announced it way back at SHOT 2014.

Honestly the lack of communication from Serbu is what pisses me off the most.  Complete radio silence on the status of the project, yet the SU-15 still features prominently at the top of their FB page as if to taunt us.

I love my Super Shorty, but after this fiasco I don't know that I'll ever buy another Serbu product.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Shame really.   Its a very interesting design.   Im glad im not an eary adopter type as I would be in the same boat.    

I was hoping to be buying a used one at this point.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#2]
It is an interesting design, and honestly doesn't look that complicated to me.  Uses standard AR barrels and bolts, and the upper receiver is just extruded aluminum.  The front trunnion is held in with screws, for Christ's sake.  We're not talking a complex  machine here.  I can't imagine why it's been this difficult for them to bring it to market.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is an interesting design, and honestly doesn't look that complicated to me.  Uses standard AR barrels and bolts, and the upper receiver is just extruded aluminum.  The front trunnion is held in with screws, for Christ's sake.  We're not talking a complex  machine here.  I can't imagine why it's been this difficult for them to bring it to market.
View Quote
Exactly my thoughts.

It's ugly as sin from a design stanpoint.   It beauty is in its function.   But none of that matters if never gets produced.   Frankly im shocked nobody else tried to build something that serves the same purpose.   (No buffer tube on standard AR lower)
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Faxon builds the ARAK piston upper that will work on a standard AR lower with side folding stock.  I'm probably going to buy one of those now that I've given up on Serbu delivering the goods.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I run ARAK Folder in a pistol config......works great
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a Sig MCX to me.  Maybe they just can't compete against that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Rut Row...the more that drop out, the less likely those stubborn ones like me holding in there will see the product.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
You did the right thing. I remember when first seen the pre-order page on the website and was planning to be a part of the pre-orders but sadly it was all sold out before I could get one in. Since that time every so many months I would check back for updates to see if there was any progress or a new batch of pre-orders that would be available but nothing since that time, and I would say given the time of him collecting those deposits for those pre-orders he had most likely spent that money long ago for God knows what and if it really went to the production of those uppers.

Honestly I did find quite some appeal to the upper given it looked like a SCAR upper for your common AR lower. Definitely did have a cool factor to it but its too bad that nothing came to fruit of it and that he seems be venturing into entirely new and different projects all while he seems to have forgotten about the SU-15. If memory serves me right the last real update I seen on it was probably more than a year or so ago? when he had contracted a machine shop to carry out the milling of the aluminum extrusion that make up the upper receiver and they came out very sub-par and wasn't to what he had expected of being quality.

Since that time I don't think there were any progress made on that thing which is a bummer as I definitely would of loved to pick one up as I did like the idea and overall appeal it had.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out evolution weapon systems. I follow them on Instagram and thegatman.

Evolution is currently producing a carrier/spring combo that is retrofit that allows the use of a folding stock or no stock at all on both DI and piston systems. If you do a little bit of digging you will see their current testing models work and plenty of videos showing this off.

So we're talking about a bufferless AR15 setup, retrofit, that allows all of the same parts besides a proprietary spring and carrier.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top