User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Im a newb to the piston uppers, but I have the SA on a 12.5" middy that was badly overgassed when suppressed even with other adjustable gas blocks.  I chopped the barrel back to 11.9" and it is still overgassed suppressed even with the screw in full bleed off.  I forgot to try restriction, but before cutting the barrel back it ran at ONE click out suppressed.  Unsuppressed it runs fine at 7 turns out since I chopped it and ran at 8 turns out when it was still a 12.5".

Now BIG disclaimer.  This is on a game gun.  I have nothing milspec on it.  I theorize the SA piston is made for mil spec style guns for reliable function when dirty with weak ammo etc.  My set up is more like a Formula One race car with mud grips.  I typically need only about half the gas of milspec to run such a gun so the SA with suppressor is just too much "function".  I wish they would release a "performance" model with a smaller diameter piston and smaller outer dimensions plus a lightweight bolt carrier, but I honestly see very little market for such.  Just oddballs like me shooting 3 gun.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recently purchased one of these kits myself for use on a 10.5" 5.56 barrel.  Barrel is a BA Hanson from Ballistic Advantage, which I found has some proprietary dimensions, so the OP rod was pushing the block too far back from the shoulder.  Had to send in the upper to Tony for testing, and he wound up just cutting the OP rod down a bit.  Everything fits as it should now.
View Quote
I am trying to trade for a BA Hanson to put the SA piston kit on.  Does BA put the gas port in a different location or what.  I already know they only use a 1.03" gas block shelf.  It looks like the SA kit will fit on that.  I also guess the BA hansons do not leave room for a handguard plate.  Does that mean the shelf for the gas block is too far forward with the Hansons or what?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top