Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 9:08:24 AM EDT
The Midwest Industries MCTAR-20 handguard is supposed to fit with the Osprey system.

My question is, has anyone installed one of these with the spring fitted on top of the op-rod?

I don't have the space to get the spring clip under the op-rod on my rifle, and am a bit concerned that the spring being on top will not have sufficient clearance.
I don't mind if it doesn't fit, I can use it elsewhere, but don't want to chop off the delta ring only to find it doesn't fit...

I put a MI free-float handguard on another rifle, and actually removed the barrel and front sight to take the delta ring off in one piece.
However, having to strip off the Osprey as well ... I don't know ... obviously not impossible, but just more stuff to go wrong in the disassembly/reassembly process.

If someone has fitted one of these with the spring on top, I will feel much better about applying a dremel tool to the delta ring.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:20:02 PM EDT
Scallywag,
I did put a MI Rifle length rail on my Daniel Defense freefloat 16" middie. It has the Osprey mid-length system on it too. I have not noticed any rubbing or inteference whatsoever (no guarentee of your success stated or implied :). Rather that cut the slip ring assembly off I recommend just removing the barrel and saving those pieces for later or selling them on the equipment exchange. It is actually easier, takes less time and doesn't risk nicking the barrel nut, etc.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:22:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Davy101:
Scallywag,
I did put a MI Rifle length rail on my Daniel Defense freefloat 16" middie. It has the Osprey mid-length system on it too. I have not noticed any rubbing or inteference whatsoever (no guarentee of your success stated or implied :). Rather that cut the slip ring assembly off I recommend just removing the barrel and saving those pieces for later or selling them on the equipment exchange. It is actually easier, takes less time and doesn't risk nicking the barrel nut, etc.

Thanks for the feedback. I was beginning to think I was going to see exactly zero replies!

As I mentioned previously, I did actually remove the delta-ring intact from a previous rifle I fitted a MI handguard to, so provided the pins all come out easily, its not a huge task, and something I have done before. I don't know how easy the Osprey is to take off and put back on. Installing it wasn't terribly hard, but the FSB pin seemed like it might need replacing if I remove it.

Did your Osprey fit with the spring clip underneath the pushrod?
My barrel is just too big to allow that, and it has to go over the pushrod - that is the thing I worry most about.
Depends just how much clearace there is with the MI handguard...

Again - thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:52:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 3:56:18 PM EDT by Davy101]
I just pulled mine out to check. Mine was installed with the pin under the bottom of the piston rod. In my case there was enough clearance with the barrel as it is a CHF .75 inch profile barrel. I honestly thought I had installed the pin over the top but I guess I didn't because the instructions that came with mine showed it underneath. Removing the Osprey kit is just as easy as installing it. I have taken them out of a couple guns with no issues. Just use the correct short punch and the steel pin will drive out. I push it back out opposite of the way it went in, i.e. right to left.

The best way to test your setup if you go ahead and take the slip ring assembly off is, after reassembly, remove the BCG and CH and see if the piston rod moves effortlessly if you tip the muzzle up and then down. Mine moves by itself. Positioning the barrel nut so the piston rod is under no friction makes the kit run flawlessly.
Top Top