Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2010 1:31:52 AM EDT
I have my heart set on a LWRC M6A2 upper. What are your pet peeves about this system, besides the cost

Hows customer service/warranty.

I'm assuming it is worth getting the newest model with the one piece carrier right?

Could someone please take a pic of all the pieces of the piston assembly disassembled, but lined up like they were going on the weapon, next to the weapon.

Whats that little do-dad that goes into the receiver hole, where the gas tube would go. Piston bushing?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:25:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Trying to think of pet peeves...ummm... maybe that some rail covers need slight modification to allow top rail removal with the covers installed on the side rails.  That's about it.

The one piece carrier is really nice to have, but the older two piece ones are solid.  The "carrier key lug" that the op rod hits is dovetailed into the bolt carrier, from the side, not just placed on top and bolted down.  I think the staking is plenty good, you can always stake it harder if you like.

I don't have a pic, and don't have the time just this minute, but from the front you've got the piston (hard mounted to the gas block, doesn't remove), the piston cup, "intermediate" rod (which has rounded ends which fit into sockets in the piston cup and op rod), op rod with spring around it, and spring cup (which is the part you ID'd as a bushing, which it also sort of acts as).

ETA:

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:54:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like mine.

My only pet peeve is that it's hard to put the piston assembly back in after taking it out for cleaning.

Don't know if the 6.8 version has a stiffer spring, but on mine you really have to pull back hard on the rod on to compress it back enought to get it to fit into the piston cup.  With oily hands, I can't do it.

I end up having to put the rifle in my cleaning mount, wash my hands, then have the mount in front of me to let my body provide the normal force, and use both hands, arms, and some cussing to pull the rod back.

I end up just taking it out every other trip to the range, and scrubbing it in place the other trip.

I'd never want to take it out in the field and try to reassemble it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you lock the carrier to the rear when trying to reinstall the piston group. If you didn't it will explain the difficulty you experianced.

Quoted:
I really like mine.

My only pet peeve is that it's hard to put the piston assembly back in after taking it out for cleaning.

Don't know if the 6.8 version has a stiffer spring, but on mine you really have to pull back hard on the rod on to compress it back enought to get it to fit into the piston cup.  With oily hands, I can't do it.

I end up having to put the rifle in my cleaning mount, wash my hands, then have the mount in front of me to let my body provide the normal force, and use both hands, arms, and some cussing to pull the rod back.

I end up just taking it out every other trip to the range, and scrubbing it in place the other trip.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:00:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have the carrier in at all.  I clean all the parts, then reassemble, so the bolt and carrier are on the desk when I'm cussing about getting the rod back in.

Like I said, it's not a big deal, but I would not take it out in the field, as I can't put it back without using both hands, and thus need it to be in a mount.

I've only shot about 100 rounds through it, so maybe it will loosen up over time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Did you lock the carrier to the rear when trying to reinstall the piston group. If you didn't it will explain the difficulty you experianced.

Quoted:

I really like mine.

I made this mistake the first time I tried taking my piston system apart.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#6]
The price.

I'd love to own a REPR but at $3k+, fuck that noise. I'm sure it's as awesome in quality as my M6A2, but what the fuck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Like Shade above, the only thing I can complain about is that I have to remove my MagPul rail cover clips to get the top off.  No biggie, but a slight pain.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Like Shade above, the only thing I can complain about it I have to remove my MagPul rail cover clips to get the top off. No biggie, but a slight pain.

I was going to sand/file down the offending section of the rail cover sections, but I think I'll just replace 'em with LaRue index clips instead.  My tests have shown that they have the required clearance.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Like Shade above, the only thing I can complain about it I have to remove my MagPul rail cover clips to get the top off. No biggie, but a slight pain.

I was going to sand/file down the offending section of the rail sections, but I think I'll just replace 'em with LaRue index clips instead.  My tests have shown that they have the required clearance.  

Thanks,
I'll pick up a couple of sets of those and give them a try.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think I can actually call these peeves because my LWRC carbines are the best rifles I've ever used, but these are the areas I am working toward improving on both my LWRC rifles (M6A2 and M6AK):

Weight: Both rifles are slightly heavier than most carbines I've used prior, for good reasons: heavy duty barrel and piston system, solid construction, rail system. I have just worked to control my urge to over "tacticool" them, particularly at the front. It helps.

Recoil/impulse: Both are higher than the DI rifles I have used in the past. I am working on that now. So far I have a heavy buffer spring on the way for both. I've read that works well. If that is not fully satisfactory, I'll look to upgrade the buffers as well (although they already have H2s). I could also upgrade the stock recoil pads. I'd love to soften them up to DI level.

I know it can be tough getting the piston system in and out. I have to do it more often with the AK than I ever have with the A2 so I feel your pain. I'm not sure if I have had the bolt locked back or not. I will try to remember to check that next time. It may be a whole lot easier than I have made it thus far. My AK also has less than 200 rds through it so far, so it may loosen up some too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Like Shade above, the only thing I can complain about it I have to remove my MagPul rail cover clips to get the top off.  No biggie, but a slight pain.

that is annoying..lol.no biggie though.  My eotech sits towards the front rail so that comes off too.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#12]
oh yeah and LWRC guns are awesome..I want a REPR now and I just picked a M6G less than two weeks ago.  They are pricy but well worth it.  Customer service is awesome.  If you want the A2 take a look at the M6G if you dont mind the cheaper stock and pistol grip
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#13]
No pet peeves besides the rail cover issue.
GREAT RIFLE!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#14]
My LWRC has alot of play between the upper and lower, not a big ammount. The play is left and right, yaw and up and down, but only slightly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Been playing with AR's ever since that nice Sgt gave me one way back in 1969...when I was in green cotton fatigues.

Have a 2 piece bolt design M6A2, and one of the new 5.45 uppers.

ONLY issue I have with LWRC is I wish I could afford a new REPR, as well as a spare M6 upper in 6.8 .

My 5.56 A2 is THE most accurate AR type I have EVER owned. And I have owned a few 20" HBAR's, etc.  I suspect that EVERYTHING simply went perfectly when my barrel was made, installed and all the various parts were fitted.

FN in MT
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#16]
LWRC looks like a company that is doing their homework.  Their triggers kick ass, for one.  

That said, they do very high prices compared to PWS, Addax, etc, and I'm sure they pissed off a lot of the Magpul lovers when their REPR wouldn't work with 7.62 Pmags.  Not sure if that's been sorted out.

Not sure why Paul Howe parted ways with them.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

LWRC looks like a company that is doing their homework.  Their triggers kick ass, for one.  

That said, they do very high prices compared to PWS, Addax, etc, and I'm sure they pissed off a lot of the Magpul lovers when their REPR wouldn't work with 7.62 Pmags.  Not sure if that's been sorted out.

The REPR mag issue is sorted out.  Those early guns that didn't work right can be sent in, on LWRC's dime, to get modded for it.  Apparently, LWRC based the magwell geometry off of the (then current) C Products mag (which has since been changed), and it held the PMAGs in the well about .020" low.  All current manufacture REPRs are good to go, and door to door to send mine in for the fix was 10 days, no out of pocket to me.

IIRC, Paul Howe wanted a package deal that was set up and ready to go for the average cop type, and while LWRC is tops in quality, they aren't cheap.  I have one of the CSAT M6A1-S rifles, and it's my go to gun.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:01:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I have got to remove my side sling swivel and rail covers every time I want to access the piston.  It's not often, but still a complete PITA!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#19]
play in upper also for me but excellent besides that
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
oh yeah and LWRC guns are awesome..I want a REPR now and I just picked a M6G less than two weeks ago.  They are pricy but well worth it.  Customer service is awesome.  If you want the A2 take a look at the M6G if you dont mind the cheaper stock and pistol grip

lwrc repr is great ! only pet peeve is over the cocking handle ,which has a treaded insert with a spring loaded plunger to lock it forward when not using it forward ... so i got an izzy fal cocking handle ,trouble fixed ......   a treaded insert with a spring loaded plunge is a nice idea but not finished need some more work with it -like spacer behind this insert with locklic etc
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:46:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't remember where I heard this, but the rumor was that Paul left because LWRC wouldn't make his rifle with a 1/9 twist.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Their price especially the repr and not ambi side charging handle. I'm a lefty and it would be really nice if they made a side charging handle on the right side. If they had that option i may buy a repr even if they are charging an arm and a leg and a foot to. But really the price is really my big pet peeve.   Their repr is almost $800 more than the competitors or more.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#23]
My sole pet peeve...they seem to be dragging their feet with the release of the REPR hand-guard for the 5.56 line. I don't think they've confirmed they even exist but there is plenty of speculation over in the LWRCI forums. I just find the current hand-guard heavy and bulky and there are not too many aftermarket (cough daniel defense cough) hand guards that work with their piston system.

Otherwise, I love my M6A2.

MP
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#24]
the price  –– while it did not stop me from buying one, i have not bought another (yet)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Just got a 20" REPR and the gas adjustment knob will not turn. I've tried using a small allen wrench thru the hole, but it breaks.
Any ideals what to do? I think I might try to drive out the pin holding the knob on.

This is the rifle that the gun store gave me to replace the 16" REPR that wouldn't hold the mags up high enough. I think this one is going to
so the same thing. Tried 3 different mags and it did the same with all.
It's kind of aggravating to pay top dollar for a rifle and continue to have problems.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:29:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Call up LWRC's customer service, like yesterday. They will make it right on their dime.

Also, be careful of lightning, as you seem to have beaten the odds already on getting two substandard LWRC products...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just got a 20" REPR and the gas adjustment knob will not turn. I've tried using a small allen wrench thru the hole, but it breaks.
Any ideals what to do? I think I might try to drive out the pin holding the knob on.

This is the rifle that the gun store gave me to replace the 16" REPR that wouldn't hold the mags up high enough. I think this one is going to
It's kind of aggravating to pay top dollar for a rifle and continue to have problems.

They sell a tool for 2-3$ online for adjusting your gas setting.  Add some lube to it after your done shooting and let it soak in before trying to adjust it.
I had this same problem as well.  Contact them about your mag issue, they will pay for shipping both ways.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It is ridiculous to have to go through that. However, sounds like your gunstore has the older models. I'd give LWRC a call, I'm sure their customer service can hook you up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is ridiculous to have to go through that. However, sounds like your gunstore has the older models. I'd give LWRC a call, I'm sure their customer service can hook you up.

Indeed, the issue with the mags on your first REPR is a well known issue.  IIRC, the rifle was designed around the (then current) C Products mag, which was the most commonly bought DPMS/KAC pattern .308 mag during REPR design.  That resulted in the REPR holding mags like the PMAG about .020 low.  I contacted them, they had FedEx send me a shipping label on LWRC's dime, and it was back to me in 10 days, door to door.  All current production REPRs have the updated mag catch and machining in the lower.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#30]
without a doubt the wait is my biggest pet peeve ive been waiting for my M6A2 for over a month i call once a week to check on production progress and they tell me "next week"  i know the wait will be worth it as they put out a great quality product but doesent mean i have to like it
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My sole pet peeve...they seem to be dragging their feet with the release of the REPR hand-guard for the 5.56 line. I don't think they've confirmed they even exist but there is plenty of speculation over in the LWRCI forums. I just find the current hand-guard heavy and bulky and there are not too many aftermarket (cough daniel defense cough) hand guards that work with their piston system.

Otherwise, I love my M6A2.

MP

Yep - only complaint here too.

I called CS and spoke to them about the rail release date.

The new rail is "supposed" to be out in the 4th QTR of calendar year 2010 (Oct-Nov-Dec)

However - if its not out by Thanksgiving, then I don't think we will see it this year...

M6A2 owner (have the original two pece bolt and upgraded to the one piece bolt)

~Will
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Will I need to send in the whole rifle or just the lower?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Copper deposits build up and jam the adjustment knob.

LWRCI sells a neat little tool to give some leverage.

And there's a tip on the LWRCI forums that has worked great for me...spray some dri-lube on the adjustment knob when you clean the rifle.  Stuff no longer sticks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Will I need to send in the whole rifle or just the lower?

They'll have FedEx contact you with a shipping label.  When I sent mine in, the weight for the package as listed on the label was in line with sending the whole gun, I just stuck it back in it's original box, dropped it off at the local FedEx shipping facility, and ten days later it was on my doorstep in the hands of a FedEx guy, all I had to do is sign for it, done, no money from my pocket at all.

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top